Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello.. I am new to this site and riding in general. I purchased a V Star 950 about 6 months ago and it shifts loudly, such as a loud clank, or pop when shifting... Its more noticeable in lower gears. It has been doing this since I bought it and was told that is normal, I wanted to check with anyone else to see if they are having same issue? I don't want to screw up my bike as I love this thing and enjoy riding but want to make sure I take care of it. Any help is appreciated!

Attachments

·
Registered
22 Posts
I have that exact bike and my doesn't make any noise when shifting. Don't really know what you'd be hearing. How many miles on it??

·
Registered
53 Posts
My 950t sure does clunk into 1st or 2nd, sometimes third as well. I was hoping the 600 mile maintenance might fix whatever was but from this thread i'm guessing not.

Welcome to the site and bike, it rides great.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Shift at higher revs and don't let the revs drop too low when shifting...it helps but most all bike clunk a little in lower gears.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Welcome and congrads on the 950!

I don't want to start something, however, my 950 started shifting a lot smoother when I switched to the Rotella synthetic oil. I still changed my oil every 2300 miles. The edgy shifting was my indicator that an oil change was soon due. 1st to 2nd is what it is.

Having said that, being somewhat new to riding, your timing may be off a bit. I was the same way when I got my 950 after almost 25 year of not riding. I was apprehensive and too gentle. There is a window of road speed and engine rpm where if you hit it right, you don't even need to use the clutch. I don't recommend this because if you hit it wrong, bad things could happen. I just wanted to make the point about timing of the shift. Its a feel thing. Don't pull your clutch in until you're ready to shift and then shift as soon as you pull your clutch in.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts