Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello to all,
New Strat owner. Yamaha had a open house weekend and quite a sale on left over bikes. I had my eye on a Srat Midnight but it was a Dealer ride w/800 miles on it. For the money I was spending I wanted one with less than 1 mile on it. I settled on a 2007 Stratoliner S. Had it two weeks and had the 600 mile service performed. I'm 58 now started on a 70 Norton 750 in 1970.. In 1972 I signed on for the New Volunteer Army for 4 years. Got a enlistment bonus. When I got to my new duty station, 101 AB at Ft. Campbell, I saved enough xtra and with my bonus for the xtra year, 4th year, I went to Nashville Harley and bout a 1200 Superglide (AMF Harely). Had that for 810 miles and it got stolen off the base. By the time I settled up w/Army for their lack of security, I was off overseas. When I got out in 76, I puttered around on a couple of Enduros not having big $$$$. In 1979 I got stepped up and bought an XS1100. I loved that bike. Had it until 1992 w/over 100,000 miles on it. I drove that thing all 12 months here in western NY. Then I had a newer family, transfer blah blah blah, couldn't fit it on the UHaul and sold it for 300 dollars moving that same day. I was dry until this open house not owning a street bike for those years. Now I am a great big old kid again and loving it. Thank you Star. My first impression of this BIG V TWIN is OUTSTANDING. It is a looker and it gets the looks. I am leaving well enough alone for now. At least until the warranty is expired. The we'll see what is available for performance enhancement. Ride often, Ride safe, but Ride.:)

·
Registered
143 Posts
Hi Sparkie
Welcome to the forum, sounds like you are enjoying your new ride hope you look after it better than the army did you other bike.:eek:

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you all

Thanks to you for the warm welcome.
It would be much harder getting my Strat S out of my garage than that bowling ball Harley was off the Army Post. More Dangerous for someone too!
Baaaaaa - They have to get by my watch goat!;)

·
Registered
923 Posts
Welcome to the forum Sparkie! Great place and plenty of awesome information. Congrats on the bike. It's funny but I just dropped by my local Yamaha dealer this past weekend and was eyeballing a 2010 1300 for $6999. But I was also looking at a Raider too. I personally think that my next bike will be a 1300 or bigger. Take care and keep the rubber side down.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Welcome to the forum Sparkie! Great place and plenty of awesome information. Congrats on the bike. It's funny but I just dropped by my local Yamaha dealer this past weekend and was eyeballing a 2010 1300 for $6999. But I was also looking at a Raider too. I personally think that my next bike will be a 1300 or bigger. Take care and keep the rubber side down.
7G's!? That's it??

That's less than I just paid for my 2010 950. :mad:

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
2007 Left over Stratoliner

7G's!? That's it??

On a list price of 17,000 for a 1900cc 2007 Strat(Brand New Leftover) I only paid 11,999 plus got a 200.00 gift certificate and a cheezy Blue Yamaha Advertising Jacket my son loves.:D

·
Registered
923 Posts
Yeah, I think they were having a pretty big blowout on the Yammies. I couldn't believe that it was only $7K either...just wish I had the fundage to get it but I just traded my ole truck in for a 2011 loaded Dodge Nitro. Well, I'll just have to wait till next year, kinda like the Cubs.

·
Banned
1,741 Posts
I personally think that my next bike will be a 1300 or bigger. Take care and keep the rubber side down.

Getting to be hard finding anything bigger than 1300cc. Honda and Yamaha seem to have found that engine size to be their sweet spot and are looking to squeeze more high tech performance out of 1300cc rather than go with the big mills. Kawi found the 2L to be a loser and I wouldn't be surprised to see the Strat/Raider's 1854 go away in a year or two, particularly if they can't clear their current inventory:(

I'll freely admit I don't need 1854cc, but damn it makes me smile when I goose it :)

·
Registered
923 Posts
Getting to be hard finding anything bigger than 1300cc. Honda and Yamaha seem to have found that engine size to be their sweet spot and are looking to squeeze more high tech performance out of 1300cc rather than go with the big mills. Kawi found the 2L to be a loser and I wouldn't be surprised to see the Strat/Raider's 1854 go away in a year or two, particularly if they can't clear their current inventory:(

I'll freely admit I don't need 1854cc, but damn it makes me smile when I goose it :)
I hear you Springer. Something about yanking on that throttle just makes you smile. I count my lucky "Star" every day that I didn't go with the 650 like I originally was thinking. As soon as I get the gremlins worked out of mine I expect it to be a damn happy 1100.

BTW Springer, I read a great quote today - "A ship without Marines is like a garment without buttons. " - Admiral David Porter, USN

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
1854cc

At 6'1" and 285 lbs, I'm glad to have 1854cc's to haul my big 58 year old giant butt around slow movers when I need it.:eek:
Besides, if all the makers take the bigun's off the showroom floor, I'll have a instant classic.:)

·
Banned
1,741 Posts
BTW Springer, I read a great quote today - "A ship without Marines is like a garment without buttons. " - Admiral David Porter, USN
That's why God made zippers...:D:D:D

cheezy Blue Yamaha Advertising Jacket my son loves.:D
I'm with 'ya on the cheesy blue, but don't let Stratowart hear you dissin' the blue. He still thinks "Blew by you" is a Linda Ronstadt song..:D.

·
Registered
71 Posts
That's why God made zippers...:D:D:D

I'm with 'ya on the cheesy blue, but don't let Stratowart hear you dissin' the blue. He still thinks "Blew by you" is a Linda Ronstadt song..:D.
Who's Linda Ronstadt!?! Just kidding...I know who she is, my parents had an 8-track tape of hers. :D

·
Super Moderator
13,064 Posts
7G's!? That's it??

i hear ya. i didn't get a great deal on my 09 950, but i bought it in early spring at beginning of riding season and when it was a new model that had only been out a few months so i knew i wasn't going to be stealing it away from them.

·
Registered
821 Posts
Hey Sparkie! Welcome. I'm just down Rt.425 from you over in Cheektowaga, but I work right near the corner of Shawne & Niagara Falls Blvd. Did you get your bike at Bob Weavers or Don Georges?
Good to see a local on here.:cool:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts