Yamaha Starbike Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased a new V Star 950:). Haven't rode it much but a few miles to my storage. I need to know if using Mobil 1 synthetic oil would be recommended after the break-in period. A salesman at the dealer told to me to stay away from any synthetic oil and just stick with YamaLube. I used synthetic in the C50 that I traded with great results. Does he know what he's talking about? :confused: He didn't/couldn't give me any specific reasons as to why he advised against it. Thanks.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Congrats on the new bike

I just purchased a new V Star 950:). Haven't rode it much but a few miles to my storage. I need to know if using Mobil 1 synthetic oil would be recommended after the break-in period. A salesman at the dealer told to me to stay away from any synthetic oil and just stick with YamaLube. I used synthetic in the C50 that I traded with great results. Does he know what he's talking about? :confused: He didn't/couldn't give me any specific reasons as to why he advised against it. Thanks.

Congtratulations on the new bike. I just picked my new Start950 up at the dealer as we. I put about 60 miles on it today and can tell you it is one sweet ride, I got mine with a full touring package and a taller wind screen. AS far as the oil. I have been riding bikes for 32 years and have never used a synthetic oil but then I change my oil every 2k miles as well. I'm sure synthetic oils have there advantages but every motorcycle mechanic that I have talked to over the years has been an advocate of good oil, checking your oil and changing it often.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Hey Sgt_Mike, do you use synthetic oil in your bike now? Synthetic was recommended to me by a veteran rider (father-in-law) who tracks ALL his bike information (rides a Wing), including mileage w/type of oil, mileage w/type of gasoline and such. I'd like to know how your bikes runs on that type of oil if you use it. Thanks!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi,
I've used Amsoil & Mobil1 motorcycle oil for over 20,000 combined miles with no problems, quieter engine running & a tiny bit better gas mileage (even used synthetic rear drive gear oil). I have put 1000 miles on my V-Star 650 with Mobile1 20-50 motorcycle oil with no problems.
johnb

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey Sgt_Mike, do you use synthetic oil in your bike now? Synthetic was recommended to me by a veteran rider (father-in-law) who tracks ALL his bike information (rides a Wing), including mileage w/type of oil, mileage w/type of gasoline and such. I'd like to know how your bikes runs on that type of oil if you use it. Thanks!

I use Mobil 1, 15W50 synthetic. I burn 87 or 89 octane gas.
Trans and clutch operate much smoother with synthetic oil than on conventional oil.

·
Administrator
15,534 Posts
does it really matter which oil to use, synthetic vs. conventional? does anyone know any pros/cons for each? does it make a difference if your bike is fuel injected vs. carburated? how many miles are on it, etc?

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you Mike and First. I appreciate the responses. I'm at 1k miles now, so 3 more to go!
Why wait? I changed oil and filter at 700 miles and put in Mobil1 15W50 at that time. There's no advantage for waiting and alot to gain by getting rid of the original oil & filter.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
does it really matter which oil to use, synthetic vs. conventional? does anyone know any pros/cons for each? does it make a difference if your bike is fuel injected vs. carburated? how many miles are on it, etc?
What makes synthetic oil superior to conventional oil?

Historically, conventional oils lack the performance of synthetic oils in the areas of low-temperature performance and high-temperature oxidation stability. Conventional motor oil is made up of an inconsistent mixture of long and short chains of carbon and hydrogen atoms. In the extreme heat of an engine, short-chain molecules can evaporate, and unstable molecules can oxidize and break down. Conventional oils also contain much greater amounts of impurities, such as sulfur, reactive and unstable hydrocarbons, and other undesirable contaminants that cannot be completely removed by conventional refining of crude oil.

Mobil 1 uses high-performance fluids, including polyalphaolefins (PAOs), along with a proprietary system of additives. Each Mobil 1 and Mobil 1 Extended Performance viscosity grade use a unique combination of synthetic fluids and selected additives in order to tailor the viscosity grade to its specific application.

Yes, synthetic oil can be safely used in carbureted engines and mileage doesn't matter. Change it. :)

I use Mobil 1 oil but I'm not suggesting the Mobil 1 is superior to other synthetic oils, it just that I can get it at a super low price.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Why wait? I changed oil and filter at 700 miles and put in Mobil1 15W50 at that time. There's no advantage for waiting and alot to gain by getting rid of the original oil & filter.
I'm waiting because I just had the oil changed at about 700 miles. The bike runs fine and I'm sure it won't fall apart before it's next oil change. :)

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm waiting because I just had the oil changed at about 700 miles. The bike runs fine and I'm sure it won't fall apart before it's next oil change. :)
Ok,, my bad:eek:. I thought that you still had the original o & f in the crankcase. You'll be fine until your next change:cool:.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Fully synthetic oils can cause some clutch issues in the Yamaha wet clutch designs. The service manager I deal with recommends the blended synthetics instead of the full synthetics because of the wet clutch.

At 700 miles, it isn't fully broken in yet waiting to switch until 4000 miles is a good thing.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Fully synthetic oils can cause some clutch issues in the Yamaha wet clutch designs. The service manager I deal with recommends the blended synthetics instead of the full synthetics because of the wet clutch.

At 700 miles, it isn't fully broken in yet waiting to switch until 4000 miles is a good thing.
That's a myth Whetstone, people who make those kind of statements are simply misinformed, not properly informed and don't know what they're talking about. Any oil that doesn't have friction modifiers will not cause a wet clutch to slip.The difference is on the back of the bottle. There is a ring printed on the back and in the ring if it says "energy conserving" don't use it, that means that there are additives that will affect how your motorcycles clutch works and may(will) cause slippage. Most 10W40, 15W50 and 20W50 oils synthetic or conventional do not have friction modifiers and are ok to use in a motorcycle. I have used Mobil 1, 15W50 in my Vulcan 750, my Boulevard C50 and now my V Star 950, all of them had/have wet clutches and haven't had one ounce of problems. I'm a firm believer in synthetic oil because I KNOW that it performs better than conventional or blended synthetic.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I recently purchased a Yamaha 950 cruiser. I changed the oil the first time after only 30 miles following a prescribed (non-Yamaha) break-in technique to get rid of any metal. I continued with the Yamalube 20W-50 oil until the 600 mile check. At that time I switched to Yamalube synthetic 15W-50 which my mechanic said would be fine. A friend of mine who has been riding for many years said it was more common to wait until the engine had several thousand miles on it before going synthetic. Any thoughts on this?

·
Registered
74 Posts
As a friend of mine put it when I asked if I should wait to use synthetic, "What is it? A piece of wood furniture?" He rides a 650 Custom and is a mechanic. To keep with manufacturer warranty stuff (aka, just in case), I had my first oil changed done by the dealership and they used what they felt best worked...standard oil. Next change though, it's getting synthetic for sure. My father-in-law has data to prove that it will improve your mileage and over engine life.

·
Registered
9 Posts
devilfish79, thanks for the thoughts on the synthetic oil. My mechanic, who is gold star rated, told me how Yamaha representatives had explained to them the enhanced lubricating qualities of synthetic since the molecules are all the same size creating more even lubirication. Another friend of mine, who rides and is a physicist, explained to me how the synthetic oil molecules will not shear like standard oil. I don't claim to understand all the technical details from both individuals, but I certainly realize that their advice, if followed, should translate into prolonged engine life. My only concern was when another friend, who has been riding for 30 years, said that it used to be better to wait several thousand miles to let the engine totally break in with standard oil before switching. He uses a semi-synthetic blend. But, even he acknowledged that advanced technology in engine design may no longer necessitate waiting that long to go synthetic. There are undoubtedly numerous opinions on both sides of this issue. I am just curious to see what others think or what their experiences have been with standard vs synthetic oil in regards to when to switch.

·
Registered
74 Posts
devilfish79, thanks for the thoughts on the synthetic oil. My mechanic, who is gold star rated, told me how Yamaha representatives had explained to them the enhanced lubricating qualities of synthetic since the molecules are all the same size creating more even lubirication. Another friend of mine, who rides and is a physicist, explained to me how the synthetic oil molecules will not shear like standard oil. I don't claim to understand all the technical details from both individuals, but I certainly realize that their advice, if followed, should translate into prolonged engine life. My only concern was when another friend, who has been riding for 30 years, said that it used to be better to wait several thousand miles to let the engine totally break in with standard oil before switching. He uses a semi-synthetic blend. But, even he acknowledged that advanced technology in engine design may no longer necessitate waiting that long to go synthetic. There are undoubtedly numerous opinions on both sides of this issue. I am just curious to see what others think or what their experiences have been with standard vs synthetic oil in regards to when to switch.
There are definitely numerous opinions. I'm going with the full synthetic blend for my next change just based on the data that was provided to me. My father-in-law has a database full of useful information that he keeps for his Gold Wing. He tracks mileage relationships between what brand gas, what brand oil, what type of oil (synth or standard) and even has tracked tire size and manufacturer. He has charts that are based on the relationships. So...he knows exactly what combination of gas brand, brand and type of oil and with his tires will get him the best gas mileage. :) It's really interesting and I'm doing the same thing with my bike.

In the end, however, it really boils down to what you're comfortable with putting in your bike. Both types of oils will work if you look at the baseline of the debate. :)

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I have used Mobil 1, 15W50 in my Vulcan 750, my Boulevard C50 and now my V Star 950, all of them had/have wet clutches and haven't had one ounce of problems. I'm a firm believer in synthetic oil because I KNOW that it performs better than conventional or blended synthetic. I started using Mobil 1 at about 1000 miles on each bike and haven't had nothing but great results with syn oil, I highly recommend it, it does perform better than conventional oils and all the research prove that.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts