Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys!New 07 V star owner here.It’s my first cruiser so i’m new to this and I have few questions that you might find annoying but help me out here lol

1-my bike has one one mirror on the right.I see where it’s bolted on I ordered 2 new mirrors but I cannot see a opening on the left for a mirror.So if someone can help out with that that’ll be great!!

2-the major issue- So the bike runs fine, starts right up,rund and drives nice all maintenance was done.It has a check engine light that stays solid and no short or long blinks.The previous owner said he ripped a* wire when he was doing maintenance and probably think it’s a tip over sensor or a solenoid and says the witw is there.Before I take it to a mechanic is there a fix to that?I did read bunch of stories of people never being able to get rid of that light even after they replace that solenoid.So any advice will be appreciated.For start if someone can tell me where is that solenoid or tip over sensor on the bike and how to get to it.I’m pretty good mechanically so I’ll be able to probably replace it if I know what I’m looking for.Thanks

also it’s a Vstar 650 I forgot to mention

·
Super Moderator "Loose Nut"
7,550 Posts
If you post in the New Members Introduction section we can get to know you and your bike.

Issue 1, on left side of bike the mirror mounts on clutch assembly.

Issue 2: Here's a good thread on the 650 check engine light:

·
Registered
503 Posts
welcome from western New York and another 650 owner. You can download the shop service manual for free.. just google it or use the site search function and you might find a link. Its almost a must have for bike owners. Also, sites like partszilla, motorsports, bikebandit have helpful parts breakdowns. I am assuming if you cant see where the left mirror mounts on the clutch handle that your bike may have been modified. Mine is mostly stock except for comfort upgrades. Visit often and join the conversations. Happy trails...ride safe.

·
Registered
2006 Stratoliner, 2014 Triumph Rocket III Touring, '81 XS650SH Project
203 Posts
Hello Philly and welcome from Virginia. These two above have said my thoughts already.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the help and all the info guys.Sorry bare with me lol I’ve never been on these forums and also using my phone isn’t helping too. So I figured out the mirror part there was a rubber plug there i took it off and i saw the thread.So thanks for that.Now as for the light based on all the helpful info you guys gave me what i noticed was...When I turn the key in the on position it blinks 5 times with long interval and 8 times in short intervals right after that it does that In 3 rotations and then stays on solid.I tried looking up that code but haven’t had any luck. If I have to time it it’ll be like 5 times on and off with being on for like 2-3 seconds then stays off for like 2-3 seconds followed by 8 on 8 off for like 1/2-1 seconds... I’m trying to figure out how to upload a video from iphone on this platform so i can show it

·
7,550 Posts
Code 58:

First check the wires:
Fuel Shut Off Solenoid Wires - They Break Easy - How to Fix

Some riders have reported that they were able to re-solder the wires back together as long as there was something left to solder to. Below are other options.

Removing the Solenoids Entirely

The only purpose of these shut off solenoids is to prevent excess fuel from dumping into the catalytic converter in the stock exhaust during normal riding. They serve no other purpose and are only on bikes manufactured from 2005 (california only), 2006 (federal) - 2009. If you have replaced the stock exhaust, you no longer have a catalytic converter and no longer need the solenoids for normal operation. You can safely remove them, but there are several things you will need to do to prevent the Check Engine Light from flashing at you:

Link to eliminate :

Link for replacement:

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Wow thank you so much it’s very helpful.Where is it located and how hard is to get to and replace.I haven’t had time to mess with it but on youtube there aren’t any videos on replacing these or at least I haven’t had any luck finding any.Also are they 2 for each cylinder?also I have vance hines pipes so they are not the original ones.Should I just buy and replace both just in case the wires are weakened with time?Thanks for the info again

·
7,550 Posts
Fuel cutoff off solenoid

·
Registered
2011 Yamaha VStar 650
269 Posts
@PhillyVStar they are located on the left side of the motor between the cylinders (see the pic of my bike). They are the two cylindrical objects with the wires coming out of the top of them.

·
Registered
2011 Yamaha VStar 650
269 Posts
To remove the solenoids themselves it's not necessary but to install the electronic device which fools the engine warning light I suspect you would have to as the wiring loom is under the tank. I would start by looking at your bike to see if you can see what the issue is and whether you can make a repair first.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
To remove the solenoids themselves it's not necessary but to install the electronic device which fools the engine warning light I suspect you would have to as the wiring loom is under the tank. I would start by looking at your bike to see if you can see what the issue is and whether you can make a repair first.
The previous owner said he ripped a* wire and it’s there now just sitting there so i’ll order the device and just replace it.It’s cheaper to order that then a solenoid

·
Registered
2011 Yamaha VStar 650
269 Posts
Is there any wire still attached to the solenoid? You could solder the wire back together - that would be the cheapest option...

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Is there any wire still attached to the solenoid? You could solder the wire back together - that would be the cheapest option...
I don’t know.I haven’t looked into it yet.I just wanted to get as much info as I can before I get into it and decide if I can do it myself or not and also know exactly what should I be looking for and wanted to have everything ready and available because I keep my bike in a storage unit

·
Registered
2011 Yamaha VStar 650
269 Posts
Which ever route you end up taking, it's not difficult to do. If you do have to remove the tank, you will want to drain it first to make the process easier.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts