Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

21 - 40 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
I will take it off and see where that wire is and if I can easily replace fix it and if not i’ll just get rid of both

·
Registered
2011 Yamaha VStar 650
269 Posts
Does your bike still have the stock exhaust and catalytic converter? Removing the solenoids can cause the motor to over-fuel slightly. This can be really bad if you have a cat installed as it can potentially result in an explosion inside the cat...

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Does your bike still have the stock exhaust and catalytic converter? Removing the solenoids can cause the motor to over-fuel slightly. This can be really bad if you have a cat installed as it can potentially result in an explosion inside the cat...
That’s a good point.And it has a aftermarket vance hines exhaust so I’m assuming no cats.So i guess i’ll have to het a solenoid

·
Super Moderator "Loose Nut"
7,550 Posts
The fuel cut off solenoid is on top side of each carb. It does have a wire to it. Yes at times the wire can be carefully soldered back into place. I've soldered some with good success and others it did not work.

Looks like this:

Quick video about soldering them, not a very good video, but all I could find.

Please don't take this wrong, research until you have everything memorized, you can easily do more damage to bike than just the annoying check engine light.

Reactions: Bobber650

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
The fuel cut off solenoid is on top side of each carb. It does have a wire to it. Yes at times the wire can be carefully soldered back into place. I've soldered some with good success and others it did not work.

Looks like this:
View attachment 96014

Quick video about soldering them, not a very good video, but all I could find.

Please don't take this wrong, research until you have everything memorized, you can easily do more damage to bike than just the annoying check engine light.
yes sir!! The reason I joined this forum is because I called a shop and they told me hey it’s a check engine light so you have to take it to Yamaha dealer.Called the dealer and they were like yeah we have a machine and OBD scanner for your bike and it’ll cost 300$ To do diagnostics lol and after I did a simple research to see that my bike doesn’t even have a OBD port to be plugged and they’re just full of **** I was like ok not taking it to the dealer lol

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Hey guys I hope everyone had a good weekend.So I took the tank of and sure enough there it was the Solenoid was ripped right in the base.I tried digging out the rubber and tried to solder it with no luck so I was like f... it and ordered a new one from the link you posted here.Now I noticed this capped hose that i tracked to the airbox.Can someone tell me where it goes?I couldn’t see anything open for it.Thanks

·
Registered
503 Posts
hard to be sure without seeing where the other end connects. could possibly be #25 from back of intake silencer (large air box sitting on carb intake) to rear camshaft cover. I can see one end of the tube connected to the air box in your pics. This hose runs underneath the chrome cover that sits on top of the rear cylinder.
Screenshot_20200629-173411.png

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Yes I think that’s the one you’re talking about.Come out of a small part connected to the air canister and it’s capped off.Where is it supposed to go?I don’t see anything disconnected where this can go

·
Registered
503 Posts
follow the dashed line off the hose end to the hose barb sitting atop part 22 in the screenshot. I believe it is for crankcase ventilation.

·
Registered
503 Posts
here is a pic from when I adjusted my valves this spring. The hose barb is hidden underneath the chrome covers sitting on the rear cylinder.

·
Registered
503 Posts
here is a puc where the other end connects... back, bottom of air intake box if this is indeed the tube...

Reactions: Boog

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
that cap looks like it’ll fit there!! Damn How hard is to remove that cover and put it back on..I don’t know why the previous owner took it off and does it affect the way the bike runs.Also is it possible it got lose from vibration?

·
Registered
503 Posts
Four allen screws hold the top cover in place. I think you might be able slide it out without removing anything. It's a tight fit so you may need to fiddle with it. I dont think the hose would vibrate loose and the fact it was plugged suggests it was deliberate, but I don't know why you would do it. Has the AIS been removed... some do that to eliminate emission controls.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Four allen screws hold the top cover in place. I think you might be able slide it out without removing anything. It's a tight fit so you may need to fiddle with it. I dont think the hose would vibrate loose and the fact it was plugged suggests it was deliberate, but I don't know why you would do it. Has the AIS been removed... some do that to eliminate emission controls.
I sound stupid but what’s AIS? It has after market exhaust if that’s got anything to do with it

·
Registered
503 Posts
hose runs between upper and lower chrome covers and the right angle hose barb is easily accessed with top chrome cover removed

21 - 40 of 65 Posts