Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

41 - 60 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
503 Posts
AIS - Is an anti-polution device (Air Induction System) Basically it's an air pump, that injects air into the exhaust pipes to help burn excess unburnt fuel vapors in your exhaust pipe. Sometimes an exhaust change can create backfiring with air being injected into hot exhaust with residual fuel vapor, so they opt to remove the entire system. Its the black "box" just above the footrest in the lower left of the previous picture. This drawing shows the system.
My bike is totally stock.. maybe another member can advise if leaving your tube disconnected is a good idea... I dont believe so myself. (just edited for clarity)

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
AIS - Is an anti-polution device (Air Induction System) Basically it's an air pump, that injects air into the exhaust pipes to help burn excess unburnt fuel vapors in your exhaust pipe. Sometimes an exhaust change can create backfiring with air being injected into hot exhaust with residual fuel vapor, so they opt to remove the entire system. Its the black "box" just above the footrest in the lower left of the back cover. This drawing shows the system.
My back is totally stock.. maybe another member can advise if leaving your tube disconnected is a good idea... I dont believe so myself. (just edited for clarity)
View attachment 96170
Like I said It has vance hines pipes so I’m assuming they’re just straight pipes and all the stuff is removed like cats and sensors if they’re any.I don’t even know just assuming it’s like a car

·
Registered
503 Posts
if the black box is gone... its removed. Modified bikes can be a headache, trying to determine what previous owners did and why.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
if the black box is gone... its removed. Modified bikes can be a headache, trying to determine what previous owners did and why.
The box is there the hose is just sitting there in it and on the other end of it’s capped of what it looks like or maybe that’s where it’s supposed to go in and the tap is just off i’ll see tomorrow

·
Registered
503 Posts
I probably confused you when asking about AIS. Your hose may have been disconnected by the PO messing with emissions stuff. The "black box" I mentioned is the AIS pump, circled in the pic below and used to reduce emissions. If it is not there, the PO likely removed it with the exhaust changeover

Attachments

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
I probably confused you when asking about AIS. Your hose may have been disconnected by the PO messing with emissions stuff. The "black box" I mentioned is the AIS pump, circled in the pic below and used to reduce emissions. If it is not there, the PO likely removed it with the exhaust changeover
That box is there I know that for a fact

·
Registered
503 Posts
Good luck getting your hose reconnected. I suspect its under a 30 min job.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
I’m going to find out today. I’m planning on doing it after work. I am wondering if that check engine light has something to do with that also_Or that is strictly the solenoid...i also have LED side markers in the back and regular in the front.They hyper flash.Does that have anything to do with that also?

·
Administrator
3,511 Posts
LED bulbs will hyper flash because of the lower resistance but won't cause your check engine light to come on. You can buy resistors to fix it fairly inexpensively and you just spice them into the wires to the LED bulbs.

·
Registered
503 Posts
the engine code is strictly the solenoid with broken wire. You need to add "load" resistors that can be found on Amazon or ebay to stop the hyperflash. You can use the search function at the top of each page to read past discussions. Something like these in the link below... I have nothing to recommend as I havent done that upgrade.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
Thanks for the answers.I will keep you guys posted how it goes once I get the solenoid. By the way for any of you who used partspak before how fast do they ship?They have a phone number in GA and I called but they’re strictly voicemail and eventually they call you back.No call back yet but with everything going on and them being busy I was wondering if they stock their inventory or they dropship from overseas.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
here is a pic from when I adjusted my valves this spring. The hose barb is hidden underneath the chrome covers sitting on the rear cylinder. View attachment 96167
It was exactly that.I took the chrome cover off and just put the hose back on that.Clamp fit perfectly even the chrome cover has a slot for that hose.I hope that wasn’t done because of the exhaust but I have that black box still on the bike so I don’t see why it would be a problem. But here are some pics.

·
Registered
2011 Yamaha VStar 650
269 Posts
They sound good i do want black pipes tho so either i will be selling them here and tey to get black or will try to strip the chrome and powdercoat
I'd be afraid that powdercoat would burn off the exhaust. Can you get a high temp version?

·
Registered
503 Posts
It was exactly that.I took the chrome cover off and just put the hose back on that.Clamp fit perfectly even the chrome cover has a slot for that hose.I hope that wasn’t done because of the exhaust but I have that black box still on the bike so I don’t see why it would be a problem. But here are some pics.
glad we were able to help out.

41 - 60 of 65 Posts