Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2007 V Star 1100 Custom
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I have posted about myself in the Intro section as well.

In brief, 52 year old novice (with prior 10 years experience of riding in India over 20 years ago - smaller bikes, different rules of the road or lack of rules thereof). Recently finished my MTC training, so I should be able to get my M1 endorsement in 2 weeks or so.

Also - I am a mechanical engineer, and am pretty handy with fixing cars, IC engines etc.

I am short - 5'4" or so, with a 28" inseam.

I am contemplating to buy 1 of 2 bikes that are available. Both are currently in PNO (planned non operation) state.

1) 2007 V Star 250 - 800 miles. Second owner. First owner rode for 60 miles and decided biking was not for her. Second owner (my classmate in graduate school, and dorm mate as well) rode it for some time - until his Emergency Doctor girlfriend came along - and she put an end to this (6 years ago). So bike has been sitting (indoors in Garage) for 6 years.

2) 2007 V Star 1100 Custom - 125 miles - Widow of first owner. Owner had health issues, and stopped riding. However, he kept up once a month start up for 20 minutes routine until 2017 or so. Bike has been sitting in garage all this time.

Which one of the 2 do you think would be a better fit for me ?

Eagerly awaiting your inputs.

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Not knowing you personally. But, I feel the 1100 will give you more riding option.
You can ride them fairly easily around town and it will work well for longer trips.

This short inseam, should not be a huge hindrance.

Ride smart! Ride often!

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
I say the 1100 also. It would be sad to let a good deal on a very low mileage bike go by. If it turns out to be too big of a bike you can always sell it and opt for something smaller. I am 62 and have the 950. It is very nimble and easy to maneuver. It almost seems as if it is steering itself. Just be prepared for the work needed for a bike that has been sitting that long. You will have a few items that will need to be addressed before going out on the road safely. Like tires...fuel tank...brakes..oil...etc but you will not be disappointed in the product once it has been gone over. Good Luck!

·
Super Moderator "Loose Nut"
8,681 Posts
First, be prepared to have some major maintenance items on both bikes. The fuel system will be gummed up and need a total rebuild. Brake fluid will be past it's useful life and possibly corrosion internally. Tires are past their 5 year life span. If you are ready to accept those challenges and others then the 1100 is the better bike to me. I'm 5'5" when I stand up straight, well maybe, 29 inch inseam, well maybe there again, weigh 123 with boots, helmet and riding gear, just weighed so that's right. I road an 1100 from 2013 to 2018 as a daily commuter and put over 65k miles on it. They make a lowering kit to lower the rear 1 inch without any adverse issues. Great bike with very few issues.

·
Registered
2007 V Star 1100 Custom
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you all. This is great. Will let you know when I have pulled the trigger .

1 - 5 of 5 Posts