Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Ya'll!
I'm brand new to riding and extremely excited. I've been a passenger on my hubby's Harley and got the fever.
We bought me a 2003 VStar 650 to get me started. I'm attending MSF classes this weekend and ready to get started on my 2 wheel adventure.
Are there any other lady riders here??

·
Registered
5,436 Posts
Congrats on the bike and the class.

I took the course to get my license, because I did not yet have a motorcycle.

I signed up two months in advance, had it on my calendar, and could not wait could not wait could not wait.

Its a great course, I learned far more than I expected, and it has saved my butt many times over, using the skills I learned to avoid and get out of serious danger.

And you have an excellent MC there. I have a 2005 vstar 650 Classic, which is pretty much the same bike.

and yes, there are many women riders here on the forum (but not me).

·
Super Moderator
6,086 Posts
Hi Jennifer, welcome to the forum from East Tennessee. Great looking first ride! You'll love the 650 and there's lots of aftermarket parts available for them. We have several ladies here, and I'm sure they'll chime in before the day is over. Like KCW, I learned a lot from my MSF course. It'll save your hide believe me. Let us know how you liked the course.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
Welcome from Canada! Good to see you taking the plunge. My wife has been a passenger on mine this summer - her first time on a bike, and she loves it. Now she wants her own so we're thinking on getting her a 650 next summer. They are great bikes - small enough to learn on and big enough to run with the big dogs.

·
Super Moderator
4,621 Posts
Welcome from Houston, Texas. Good luck on your class. Make sure and post how it went. Ride often and safe.

·
Premium Member
1,155 Posts
Welcome from N. Florida. My wife and I took the MSF class together. She was originally just going to ride on the back with me. Now she has 2 bikes of her own.. :) It is addictive.

·
Registered
5,436 Posts
Now to practice practice practice!!
Practice in a big parking lot to get your confidence up on your own MC

and also practice everyday from now on, everytime you are riding.

When there is no one behind you, practice quick steering and swerving around man hole covers and random spots in the road

when you go around a curve, practice pulling the bike in tighter, and wider within your own lane

when you stop, if there is no one behind you, practice stopping a bit harder than you need to, so a quick stop becomes automatic for you

and when you are stopped at a light waiting and waiting, you can practice finding the friction zone till the bike starts to pull against your feet, then let if off, like you did on the first day of the class.

And BTW: congratulations: Jennifer the licensed motorcycle rider!

EDITED: oops, got Patti and Jennifer mixed up - so many new riders this month!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts