Yamaha Starbike Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

· Registered
54 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About a month ago I was able to grab a very well maintained 2007 V Star 1100. Elderly gentlemen who babied it in his garage and put on a whopping 9,000 km (5,000 miles) in 15 years. It was fairly clean, but i have spent many hours with hot soapy water and vinegar taking every spec of road grime, brake dust, sticker, badge etc. off of this beauty. So far coming along nicely.

The tires are original with tons of life. Although, from what I read tires over 6 years old should be replaced for dry rot. I will likely run them around town for the spring and then swap them out in June or July before I do a long haul trip from British Columbia Canada down to California. No particular reason for the destination, other than it's South and hoping we can find some good roads and exploring along the way. As for tires, any good recommendations? I have read many folks here are running either Metzler or Michelin Commander II or III's. I want performance obviously, but love a good looking tire as well!

The stock exhaust just wont do, and the 1100's doesn't seem to have much for after markets. All I really found was Cobra, PCS, and a few others. But they were either hard to find, or really expensive. Searched locally for some used one with not much luck really. Then I found some inspiration from a fellow member V1100KM. He has been kind enough to give me some pointers for the job.

Today I yanked my stock exhaust off, fired it up for good measure. Sounded descent actually. Will put some 8" chrome turn downs on the stock header and order some DDK Torque Inserts (lollipops) to keep the back pressure. Also debating purchasing some short baffles to install as appose to the torque inserts. Might help with the back pressure and also take any harshness out of the exhaust tone. Thoughts?

Lastly, I found a Baron oil filter relocation kit locally for a great deal. So will install that when I do my spring oil change. Should make all the future ones a breeze.

If you folks have any advice I photos for inspiration I would love to see them.

Keep riding in good health!

· Administrator - "Loose Nut" - Bandera, Texas
2001 VS1100 Classic (sold), 2006 HD EG(totaled) 2006 Vulcan 900 and 2019 HD Freewheeler (current)
15,290 Posts
Reaction score
Nice looking bike. I would possibly rethink going that route with exhaust if you are planning a long multiple day rides in the future. The open exhaust you're thinking about gets real loud and can be annoying when run hours on in. I had a set of Cobra Slash Cut full exhaust. Well made and plenty loud without being to loud. Just a suggestion to keep the bike rider friendly on longer rides.

· Registered
54 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Nice looking bike. I would possibly rethink going that route with exhaust if you are planning a long multiple day rides in the future. The open exhaust you're thinking about gets real loud and can be annoying when run hours on in. I had a set of Cobra Slash Cut full exhaust. Well made and plenty loud without being to loud. Just a suggestion to keep the bike rider friendly on longer rides.
totally understand your point on the exhaust. I would consider some cobra pipes if I could find some used. From the shop they are about $1500 Canadian. Which is about 1/3 the price of the bike. Aesthetically I love the look of the above exhaust. That’s why I was thinking if I put some baffles in it, would it help tame It down at all?

· Registered
2008 vstar 1100 classic canadian edition
610 Posts
Reaction score
what part of canada you at? don't forget the ear plugs wwith the short pipes. some lower wind deflectors are nice, and 7" led head light. ebay has lots of stuff cheap.
heres mine
i just bought a 2013 victory cross roads but im to in love with my star to sell it , i put to much into it to sell it.
as for the ork mine leaked at the fittings within a year so i bought phat lines from barons and used permatex high heat thread sealer,

· Administrator - "Loose Nut" - Bandera, Texas
2001 VS1100 Classic (sold), 2006 HD EG(totaled) 2006 Vulcan 900 and 2019 HD Freewheeler (current)
15,290 Posts
Reaction score
It will still be loud with those baffles in. I keep forgetting the exchange rate between US and Canada.

US price:

Wheel Tire Motorcycle Automotive tire Automotive lighting

Canada price:

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Automotive fuel system Vehicle

· Premium Member
'18 SVTC
1,160 Posts
Reaction score
Nice looking bike.

Not trying to tell you what to do, but 15 year old tires, regardless of tread condition, can be squirrely (at best) and dangerous (at worst) even just noodling around town at lower speeds, and you know you're gonna be tempted to open it up at some point....just to see how it runs. ;) Rubber and other components in the tires just don't age all that well.

Ride safe.

· Registered
54 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Thanks for the photos and link to the cobras. No doubt they would be a bit more manageable sound wise than the shorty’s. that said, I love the look of seeing the rear swing arm with the short exhaust. What I might do is build my set of turn downs for around town and moderate trips, and with nothing welded it will be a 30 minute job to put complete stock back on if I want it for long hauls. So that’s an option.

In regards to baffles. How much to you think I can tame that sound with shorty’s and baffles? I am also hoping I don’t have to re-jetwith that exhaust, as I am using the stock header. So technically if I can get equivalent back pressure there shouldn’t be an issue. No?

· Registered
54 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
what part of canada you at? don't forget the ear plugs wwith the short pipes. some lower wind deflectors are nice, and 7" led head light. ebay has lots of stuff cheap.
heres mine
i just bought a 2013 victory cross roads but im to in love with my star to sell it , i put to much into it to sell it.
as for the ork mine leaked at the fittings within a year so i bought phat lines from barons and used permatex high heat thread sealer,
Good know and thank you for the tip on replacing the line should they develop a leak. I am located in BC, Okanagan to be exact. Beautiful place for riding, although we get so many tourists you really have to ride like people are trying to kill you. We get so many bike accidents here with the all the tourists, motorhomes and people being reckless. Sad really. If I remember correctly my bike does have the 7" headlight. I looked at a few cheap options to swap to LED, seems simple enough. I am not crazy on the look of the LED's, but I am sure it will grow on me. DO you find it really makes a big difference in how much light it throws?

· Registered
610 Posts
Reaction score
i put the cheap chinese ones in, been in for along time, they sure give more light than the oem candle that is in. direct plug and play no problems with install. the barons oil line turn inside each other and rub the seal if i recall and the phat lines have the thread ends that go inside the oil line with a hose clamp setup. also check your bango bolts the one on the handle bars covered by the rubber could be rusty, mine was because the water stayed in side the rubber.

· Registered
54 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
i put the cheap chinese ones in, been in for along time, they sure give more light than the oem candle that is in. direct plug and play no problems with install. the barons oil line turn inside each other and rub the seal if i recall and the phat lines have the thread ends that go inside the oil line with a hose clamp setup. also check your bango bolts the one on the handle bars covered by the rubber could be rusty, mine was because the water stayed in side the rubber.
Thanks for the tip, will definitely take a look at those. Would not want to lose my brakes!

As for the exhaust, I think I just need to figure out what installation I will do.
1) Turn Downs with DDK lollipop
2) Turn Downs with 4" Baffle
3) Turn Downs with 4" baffle AND DDK lollipop

If all applications are obnoxiously loud I will put my stock exhaust on for long trips. As I am just installing the turn downs with exhaust clamps everything is easily reversible with a little time and a set of wrenches. I do love the looks of the shorty pipes though, and loud around town and trips under 60 minutes doesn't bother me. Although, in my late 30's I am already wearing hearing aids so I do have to be careful with any additional hearing damage. I have been researching helmets as well as I understand they have come along way in the last bit on noise reduction. Currently running a 15 year old Icon full face. From what I have read the Ruroc helmets offer excellent noise reduction and are plumbed for bluetooth which will be nice for long trips

· Registered
54 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
may have to rejet with the shorter pipes, you could do a hyper charger, give yo 2-3 more horse power (the cost isn't worth the gain)
Love the idea of anything that ads some horse power, but $500 for 2-3 hp isn't worth the squeeze. I am a descent back yard mechanic, but carbs are not my game. Basically if I can't fix them with seafoam or carb cleaner I am taking them to a mechanic. If I need a rejet do I just take it in the shop and say I need a rejet and they figure it all out?

· Registered
610 Posts
Reaction score
seafoam is my fix to, i don't like to fiddle with carbs, i have balanced them but thats all. like some people putting pods on, the bike never runs right

· Registered
54 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
seafoam is my fix to, i don't like to fiddle with carbs, i have balanced them but thats all. like some people putting pods on, the bike never runs right

Thank you for the links. My bike came with the paper manual (gotta love old people!) but digital is great for finding things. I read up on the air pods, as it seems a cheap common modification. Then I read this info page and it kind of turned me off them.

· Registered
610 Posts
Reaction score
also check the tappet covers, the dome things attached to the engine, they tend to seep oil out one has a gasket and one has an oring they dry and crack

· Registered
610 Posts
Reaction score
as for tires i ordered my commander II front tire in may, it showed up 4 month later the day after i put the bike away for winter, apparently a shortage. you should check that in you area

· Registered
54 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
also check the tappet covers, the dome things attached to the engine, they tend to seep oil out one has a gasket and one has an oring they dry and crack
This is a good point, thank you Sir. Especially given the extremely low miles, that may lend to being dried out over the last 15 years. You will have to excuse my lack of knowledge, can you show me what the tappet covers are?

1 - 20 of 42 Posts