Yamaha Starbike Forum banner
21 - 40 of 42 Posts

· Registered
54 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #21 · (Edited)
as for tires i ordered my commander II front tire in may, it showed up 4 month later the day after i put the bike away for winter, apparently a shortage. you should check that in you area
Good to know. These seem to be the tires with the most support. Given I am parked until April, I will just pop in the shop and check prices and availability.

Does everyone just go with the standard replacement size, or do some folks opt for higher walls and widths. I have seem some biked on the forum that rock some nice high & wide ties. Mostly in the bobber photo section. Looks good

· Administrator - "Loose Nut" - Bandera, Texas
2001 VS1100 Classic (sold), 2006 HD EG(totaled) 2006 Vulcan 900 and 2019 HD Freewheeler (current)
15,290 Posts
Reaction score
Watch this video, at the 9 minute, 45 second mark is a good view of tappet covers. There are 4 and they start to leak with age.

· Administrator - "Loose Nut" - Bandera, Texas
2001 VS1100 Classic (sold), 2006 HD EG(totaled) 2006 Vulcan 900 and 2019 HD Freewheeler (current)
15,290 Posts
Reaction score
Not sure if you posted the right video? I just see a man riding with no sound and all road cam...
Yep, had wrong video. I'll blame it on the cold and raining day. Right one is in above post.

Reactions: Pancake81

· Registered
6,193 Posts
Reaction score
One thing you need to be told, with the 1100 they have one weak spot. Please take this to heart. You can use the enricher ( choke), but never use the throttle to start the bike. When you use the throttle it changes the TPS, this changes the timing and it could cause the engine to kick back. This will break the starter clutch gear. If this breaks it will cost you about $1,000. Other than that one weak spot the 1100 is almost bullet proof.
Enjoy the ride, you are now a motorcycle addict and there is no rehab .

· Registered
54 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #29 · (Edited)
One thing you need to be told, with the 1100 they have one weak spot. Please take this to heart. You can use the enricher ( choke), but never use the throttle to start the bike. When you use the throttle it changes the TPS, this changes the timing and it could cause the engine to kick back. This will break the starter clutch gear. If this breaks it will cost you about $1,000. Other than that one weak spot the 1100 is almost bullet proof.
Enjoy the ride, you are now a motorcycle addict and there is no rehab .
thank you!!! No one had ever told me this. Given it is carbureted I have given it a shot of gas while starting, DOH! Will never do that again.
Can’t thank you enough for the heads up

· Registered
5 Posts
Reaction score
I highly recommend the Michelin Commander II front/rear combo. Great tire in rain and shine. I ride in the rain regularly and they're very stable as long as you're not over riding the conditions.

The Maxair pod setup is well worth the money, easy to setup and jet the carbs, great company support on their forum.
It's not "cheap", but we'll worth it.

I paired that with the Cobra Power Pro HP 2 into 1 exhaust. It's loud for my taste, but I wanted the single pipe look. That and I always wear ear plugs to protect my failing hearing. And I do get plenty of compliments that my bike sounds very nice. It's a mellow exhaust when you're cruising, but once you crack the throttle it's like and angry banshee.

My Vstar runs like a raped ape and has plenty of scoot to keep up with all my buddies with 100+cu Harleys.

· Registered
54 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
I highly recommend the Michelin Commander II front/rear combo. Great tire in rain and shine. I ride in the rain regularly and they're very stable as long as you're not over riding the conditions.

The Maxair pod setup is well worth the money, easy to setup and jet the carbs, great company support on their forum.

I paired that with the Cobra Power Pro HP 2 into 1 exhaust. It's loud for my taste, but I wanted the single pipe look. That and I always wear ear plugs to protect my failing hearing. And I do get plenty of compliments that my bike sounds very nice. It's a mellow exhaust when you're cruising, but once you crack the throttle it's like and angry banshee.

My Vstar runs like a raped ape and has plenty of scoot to keep up with all my buddies with 100+cu Harleys.

Great feedback, thank you. I am still a young-ish man, knocking on the door of 40. But have been wearing hearing aids for a few years now. A great investment if you need them. I do like loud pipes, but need tolerable cruising volumes. I am hopeful that the new helmets reduce a lot more noise than my 15 year old one. I want to avoid ear plugs for the sake of enjoying some music along the way.

· Registered
54 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #33 ·

I have been reading a lot about the Michelin Commanders. I feel like the Commander III's might be worth the extra money, no? Only negative feedback I heard was they can feel a little rigid, but if using recommended air pressure they are ok. Expected to last about 250% longer from the article I read

· Registered
6,193 Posts
Reaction score
I have phonak hearing aids, on auto they adjust down to almost earplugs, (I have straight pipes on Roadstar 1600), I just have to remember to turn them back up when I get off the bike. With the bluetooth on mine I can answer the phone or listen to music.

· Registered
54 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
I have phonak hearing aids, on auto they adjust down to almost earplugs, (I have straight pipes on Roadstar 1600), I just have to remember to turn them back up when I get off the bike. With the bluetooth on mine I can answer the phone or listen to music.
I am running Oticon. Really impressed with them. I don't think they have an auto adjustment, I turn them up and down with my phone. I would be surprised if you get any hearing protection of of them, likely not a good enough seal to block any harmful sound ranges. With my bluetooth I also get to stream music and answer calls, but in that loud environment I find it hard to hear, and of course there is no mic so couldnt talk with a helmet on. Thinking about do a proper bluetooth set up on whatever helmet I go with and also by the bluetooth handle bar remote to change songs.

Anyone have any good recommendations on that?

· Registered
2008 vstar 1100 classic canadian edition
610 Posts
Reaction score
I am running Oticon. Really impressed with them. I don't think they have an auto adjustment, I turn them up and down with my phone. I would be surprised if you get any hearing protection of of them, likely not a good enough seal to block any harmful sound ranges. With my bluetooth I also get to stream music and answer calls, but in that loud environment I find it hard to hear, and of course there is no mic so couldnt talk with a helmet on. Thinking about do a proper bluetooth set up on whatever helmet I go with and also by the bluetooth handle bar remote to change songs.

Anyone have any good recommendations on that?
I put the lexin lx-s3 speakers on they have blue tooth , work good

· Registered
12 Posts
Reaction score
About a month ago I was able to grab a very well maintained 2007 V Star 1100. Elderly gentlemen who babied it in his garage and put on a whopping 9,000 km (5,000 miles) in 15 years. It was fairly clean, but i have spent many hours with hot soapy water and vinegar taking every spec of road grime, brake dust, sticker, badge etc. off of this beauty. So far coming along nicely.

The tires are original with tons of life. Although, from what I read tires over 6 years old should be replaced for dry rot. I will likely run them around town for the spring and then swap them out in June or July before I do a long haul trip from British Columbia Canada down to California. No particular reason for the destination, other than it's South and hoping we can find some good roads and exploring along the way. As for tires, any good recommendations? I have read many folks here are running either Metzler or Michelin Commander II or III's. I want performance obviously, but love a good looking tire as well!

The stock exhaust just wont do, and the 1100's doesn't seem to have much for after markets. All I really found was Cobra, PCS, and a few others. But they were either hard to find, or really expensive. Searched locally for some used one with not much luck really. Then I found some inspiration from a fellow member V1100KM. He has been kind enough to give me some pointers for the job.

Today I yanked my stock exhaust off, fired it up for good measure. Sounded descent actually. Will put some 8" chrome turn downs on the stock header and order some DDK Torque Inserts (lollipops) to keep the back pressure. Also debating purchasing some short baffles to install as appose to the torque inserts. Might help with the back pressure and also take any harshness out of the exhaust tone. Thoughts?

Lastly, I found a Baron oil filter relocation kit locally for a great deal. So will install that when I do my spring oil change. Should make all the future ones a breeze.

If you folks have any advice I photos for inspiration I would love to see them.

Keep riding in good health!
SCORE! Nice bike. PLEASE Change the tires! You risk your life with something that old.

Use a flush when you do your oil change, bike has to idle well before you can do this. I swear by Amsoil for all my equipment. Their flush is gentle but you'll be amazed at the gunk it removes. Oil consistently tests best in all categories. My V-Star is a 2000. Never had any problems and it dissipates heat better than anything else on the market.

· Registered
54 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
SCORE! Nice bike. PLEASE Change the tires! You risk your life with something that old.

Use a flush when you do your oil change, bike has to idle well before you can do this. I swear by Amsoil for all my equipment. Their flush is gentle but you'll be amazed at the gunk it removes. Oil consistently tests best in all categories. My V-Star is a 2000. Never had any problems and it dissipates heat better than anything else on the market.
Some great advice, thanks. I have decided on the Michelin Commander III’s. I actually used to run these on my Ducati Monster S4 and loved them. Although the sport version and the cruiser version might be a bit different.

Amsoil is a great product. I have used there engine oil on many toys. When it first came out I used to use there engine oil on my 2 stroke CR250, and it was the first oil that you could mix 100:1. We were terrified to do it at first! That seemed crazy. We always ran 50:1, maybe a little lean on occasion. Bit not 100:1!

anyways, amazing products. I have never tried there flush, but will give it a go. Thanks for the tip!

21 - 40 of 42 Posts