361 - 380 of 412 Posts

·
Super Moderator "Loose Nut" - Houston, Texas
2001 Vstar 1100 Classic (sold), 2006 HD Electra Glide Ultra Classic
10,207 Posts

·
Registered
5,166 Posts
That is something i would look into. Having integrated brakes on my vtx they work super. Depending on price i would do it.

·
Registered
2005 V Star 1100 Classic
63 Posts
According to a review rideapart.com (which looks like a pretty good website btw) - The price is set at $380 if your bike is one that they’ve already designed a kit for. If not, you can put down a deposit of $120 and they will try to design one for your bike - not sure if it is in AU $ ?

·
Administrator
14,697 Posts
Discussion Starter #364
shift without using clutch or blipping throttle.

i think this does the same thing but this company's product actually has compatibility with Yamaha cruisers

·
Registered
667 Posts
I think Honda had something like that in the 70's

I think they called it the Hondamatic?

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
Guess who is back improving on Harley products and undercutting them to death, now he is going after their livewire market..................

·
Administrator
14,697 Posts
Discussion Starter #368
long video, but the first couple minutes pretty much shows everything. and this is only available on cars right now, or maybe just one car. or maybe not even in production Audis yet. and a lot of this tech was showcased years ago but i've never seen it until now. but this would be really cool on a motorcycle.

·
10,207 Posts
I'm sure this is a scam, but idea is cool.

·
Administrator
14,697 Posts
Discussion Starter #372
i would be shocked if that thing worked the way it was supposed to for just $80. but assuming it works it would definitely add more weight and pull down on the back of the helmet and probably not as a good as just having a helmet with proper ventilation/ducts already installed.

·
Administrator
14,697 Posts
Discussion Starter #374
i'm sure most of us have seen our share of wild looking wheels. this company makes custom bikes with brake rotors that sit towards the outside of an enlarged wheel as opposed to in the middle. i'd like to see more of this because it really opens up the look of the wheel. so many production bikes have this massive ugly rotor that pretty much blocks an otherwise pretty wheel.

·
Registered
99 Roadie
516 Posts
They're known as annular ring or annular disc brakes.
Porsche used them in '62 on 356B Carreras, Buell used them on several models.
The Buell versions were incredibly strong.

·
Administrator
14,697 Posts
Discussion Starter #377

another brake modulator, and about twice the price of others, but it allows you to select one of several pre-programmed flashing patterns of your liking. and it's main feature is that you can set it so that if you depress your brakes within a few seconds of each other, such as any time in stop-and-go traffic, it will not do the flashing pattern every time but just the normal brake function so as to not be too distracting to those behind you when you're constantly hitting the brakes. and then when you've gone 'X' amount of seconds without depressing the brake it resumes it's flashing pattern again the next time you hit it. wish the site included videos of the different patterns and how that works, but there are youtube reviews available that show it pretty well.

·
Registered
2001 Yamaha XVS650 Dragstar Classic and 1999 Honda NT650V Deauville
923 Posts
There was simply too many posts in this topic to read it all, but there are a lot of the current technology that does not appeal to me. And some that does.

For instance, I like drum brakes, but am OK with disc brakes also. I like the safety provided by ABS under a panic attack or if the surface unexpectedly turns slippery, but I dislike the added weight, the added technological complexity, the added trouble of changing the brake fluid, and the extra braking distance that is the result for many systems that intrude too early. On ice and snow, for instance, I would like to be without ABS, because braking distance gets longer with ABS. The ABS on my son's MT07 is good because on a good surface I can still do a stoppie without intrusion from the ABS, but the Super Tenere will not allow the rear to get airborne, which can spell trouble when braking hard on a bumpy surface with unnecessary prolonged braking distance. The pros and cons more or less balance themselves out, meaning I can live with and without ABS. Detest linked brakes, but I know they can be a life saver if one system (front or rear) should fail completely. OTOH, if the system is serviced and looked after, it will not fail.

I do like cast wheels and tubeless tires because they bring a huge increase in safety, something everybody who have experience a puncture leaned over in a corner will know. I like center stands and kick starters too, but I also like my bikes to have an electric leg. And I like flat seats that allow me to move around. And a proper key to work my ignition lock.

I like analogue instruments and mechanical trip meters. I also like all information available at once and get really #&"&! when I need to scroll to find the clock or the trip or the temp or the whatever. Older bikes and cars used to have all the info they could deliver displayed at all times. Yes, modern vehicles can give more information, but at any given time they offer less than most older bikes.

There is only one thing I like about fuel injection. No, two. I like that I can park the vehicle for a year and it will fire instantly, unlike gummed up carbs. And I like that FI compensate for temperature and altitude etc. But so far I have yet to use and engine with FI that could deliver the smooth response of a well adjusted carb. And the complexity, what with all the sensors and brains etc are off-putting. To me. Ride by wire, various power modes, traction control etc fail to excite me.

Active suspension is another major complexity that really does not bring a lot to me, who always ride solo. Sure, it is nice to me able to adjust the suspension on the fly, but if you are going to service the suspension yourself you will likely soon want something a bit less complicated to work with.

Variable length intakes, shim-under-buckets for valve clearance adjustment, spark plugs hidden so deep you need to remove the tank to reach - and the tank has enough wires and hoses and seals to drive anyone mad that must first be removed - irritate me. Coolant system that must be drained before you gain access to measure valve clearances also.

Last, but definitely not least, I like motorcycles that looks like motorcycles, not like insects from outer space. Yes, I am old fashioned.

How's that for a rant 😄

·
10,207 Posts

·
Registered
541 Posts
It's funny how baggers were THE thing back when this post started five years ago. Now, smaller / commuter style bikes seem to be the push for the younger generation getting into bikes now.

I'm with faffi. But I wouldn't mind an ABS system on my VStar.

361 - 380 of 412 Posts