Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

381 - 400 of 412 Posts

·
Registered
2001 Yamaha XVS650 Dragstar Classic and 1999 Honda NT650V Deauville
924 Posts
Come to think of it, there is one kind of modern tech that appeal to me, and from Yamaha it is represented by the Niken. I kind of like the idea of virtually not being able to fall over, while still having the sensation of riding a normal motorcycle.

·
Registered
2001 Yamaha XVS650 Dragstar Classic and 1999 Honda NT650V Deauville
924 Posts
I am talking about hitting a patch of gravel at max lean, that sort of thing, not low speed balance 😄

·
Premium Member
2006 Stratoliner, 2014 Triumph Rocket III Touring, '81 XS650SH Project
1,623 Posts
I missed a memo again. Baggers are still the thing with me.

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
I missed a memo again. Baggers are still the thing with me.
Sorry about missing the memo, we will have to check the distribution and get back to you. You did get the memo about Narrow tire/King & Queen seat choppers being out right? we are a little behind.

·
Premium Member
1,623 Posts
Sorry about missing the memo, we will have to check the distribution and get back to you. You did get the memo about Narrow tire/King & Queen seat choppers being out right? we are a little behind.
Nope, I missed that one too. Being a luddite sux...

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
Well being a luddite you are suppose to be up on new technology , so that if it threatens you can destroy it.

·
Super Moderator
4,014 Posts

·
Registered
541 Posts
Forgot about this, from a few years back. (Could not a vid without an ad, sorry)

·
Premium Member
1,623 Posts
Well being a luddite you are suppose to be up on new technology , so that if it threatens you can destroy it.
I'm not the traditional English Luddite in that sense, just like things the way they were and do not feel the need for all the newfangled gadgets the marketing folks tell me I need to have.

·
Administrator
14,697 Posts
Discussion Starter #391
not sure if i've shown this smart helmet before. i think they were inspired by Spaceballs. their website doesn't mention how many people are needed to assist with taking it off/on.

·
Registered
'09 Vstar 1300 Tourer / '16 Yamaha FZ-09
67 Posts
My '16 Yami FZ-09 "hypernaked" has throttle by wire and all the guys on those forums are saying they dont like the idea of ride by wire and want the old way back. I dont see a difference nor care. They are all worried about some module going and having it stick or not work. but there have been no such reports so far. I had a FZ6R before this and I think those are throttle by wire too. Most sportbikes, Standards have seem to have gone that way...atleast with Yamahas

·
Registered
2002 v star 650 custom
459 Posts
Ok, I'm on page 11 of 20. I had to pop in to comment on the "autonomous" motorcycle.

Not sure of the group ( not my kind of music. Don't ask! ) , But I think the song is "wanted, dead or alive" . On a steel horse I ride. . .

Or, from the group RUSH, the song "red barchetta".

If I want automated, I'll take the L, a bus, a train, or a taxi. The point of a motorcycle is to DRIVE it and enjoy doing it. Safety items like ABS are a good thing, just not for me OR my wallet!!

My 1st wife's 1st car: 1950 Pontiac chieftain deluxe. Had the optional reverse lights, radio, and SEAT BELTS. My 1st car: 1948 Pontiac HEARSE. Both straight 8 flatheads. The 1950 had an automatic transmission, my hearse had a 3 on the tree. You DROVE them, not them driving YOU.

And like the old VW's, a few basic tools could fix darn near anything on them.

My most recent car: 1977 Chevy Nova 4 door. Straight 6 with a ONE barrel carb with matching VIN #'s.

The Nova was FUN to drive. Easy to troubleshoot and work on. Same with both Pontiacs and my XS650 (and my 2002 v star 650! ) .

See a pattern here?? I LOVE electronics and the internet. I bought a Google Nexus 9 tablet when they 1st came out. Still use it. I am totally self taught in electronics, computer hardware, and networking.

LEAVE MY BIKE ALONE!!! Low tech is just fine. Better to listen to your vehicle than to have your vehicle listen to YOU!

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
LEAVE MY BIKE ALONE!!! Low tech is just fine. Better to listen to your vehicle than to have your vehicle listen to YOU!
I have had 16 motorcycles over 54 years, I have never had a radio, GPS or CB on a motorcycle. The bike I have now is my first with FI, and we finally have helmets with Bluetooth intercom to talk on the Hwy. I am low tech as possible on my motorcycle. Enjoy the ride.

·
Registered
2002 v star 650 custom
459 Posts
The only time I had a music on 2 wheels was a moped with an 8 D battery boom box bunji-strapped around my waist. YUP, thought I was all that cruising the Vegas strip.

After I posted the songs, i realized that iron horse line is someone's signature here. DOH!

·
Administrator
14,697 Posts
Discussion Starter #397
i've posted about the following before, and actually was what inspired me to start this thread. just wanted to bring it up again because this video shows some really good examples and it's still one of the coolest mods i've ever seen for a vehicle.

·
Registered
2002 v star 650 custom
459 Posts
Get a ninja and use that light up paint to make the bike look like a light cycle from the movie "Tron" !

·
Premium Member
1,623 Posts
Novelty electronics are cool for stuff like that electric paint. But I stand with @compjan on the unnecessary addition of nanny controls and other electronics to our machines. I am good if manufactures make both bikes of each type; one with all the electronic doo-dads and a normal machine. That would work for us all I expect.

This is a big topic on the Rocket III forum as well. I wrote a review of the two 2020 bikes with the bigger 2.5L engines. The bikes are indeed a blast to ride. But all the electronics ruin the dash for me and if you don't either take a university course or spend a few hours more than normal reading the manual, you will not understand the buttons and switches as they are not labeled with words, just hieroglyphics. For the USA bikes, Triumph even added an addition shutoff switch and hid it below the seat. No one understands why either.

For those of you who get the electronics, I understand and do not want you to lose what makes you happy. I just have no need to play keeping up with the jones on high dollars things I do not want or need.

Reactions: compjan and faffi

·
Registered
2002 v star 650 custom
459 Posts
The ONLY modern Gizmo I want on a bike is anti-lock brakes (ABS) . The manufacturers need to listen to boog. Make a basic and a deluxe model of cruisers and tourers. Those people who ride a bike with their chest on the gas tank need all the help they can get!! So make those with "the works" !!

:)

381 - 400 of 412 Posts