Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have run NGK Iridium spark plugs in my 2013 Victory Cross Country Tour and 2016 Harley Davidson Ultra Limited.

I will also be running the NGK Iridium spark plugs in this Yamaha Star Venture starting at the 8,000 mile spark plug change.

The correct Iridium spark plug is NGK DPR7EIX-9 IX Iridium Plug.

These spark plugs have worked great in both the Victory and the Harley Davidson and because NGK is OEM for Yamaha and NGK cross references the standard NGK spark plug in the Star Venture to their Iridium spark plug I expect they will work just as great in the 113 CI Star Venture as well.

https://www.ngk.de/fileadmin/Dokumente/EN/Broschüren/Iridium_Leporello_01_GB.pdf

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
I have run NGK Iridium spark plugs in my 2013 Victory Cross Country Tour and 2016 Harley Davidson Ultra Limited.

I will also be running the NGK Iridium spark plugs in this Yamaha Star Venture starting at the 8,000 mile spark plug change.

These spark plugs have worked great in both the Victory and the Harley Davidson and because NGK is OEM for Yamaha and NGK cross references the standard NGK spark plug in the Star Venture to their Iridium spark plug I expect they will work just as great in the 113 CI Star Venture as well.

https://www.ngk.de/fileadmin/Dokumente/EN/Broschüren/Iridium_Leporello_01_GB.pdf
I had run those in my last bike a 91 Venture Royale. I was going to have them install them on this bike as I just had the plugs replaced.
The tech who is a bike performance junkie said that “the cost difference does not give you the performance difference when running with a stock cam and settings. If you were doing a performance cam with spark advance etc.. then you’d see the return, otherwise you’re wasting your money he said.
These guys know me well, and if I got more performance out of it they’d be all for it!

·
Registered
1,951 Posts

On a side note: the dimple plugs are AWESOME, but I recommend you add these to it. I’ve got these (2 for max protection) and it ran $107.15 including regular ground shipping.
Check out their videos in the product.
http://www.shopfiltermag.com/

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I had run those in my last bike a 91 Venture Royale. I was going to have them install them on this bike as I just had the plugs replaced.
The tech who is a bike performance junkie said that “the cost difference does not give you the performance difference when running with a stock cam and settings. If you were doing a performance cam with spark advance etc.. then you’d see the return, otherwise you’re wasting your money he said.
These guys know me well, and if I got more performance out of it they’d be all for it!
An extra 20 dollars won't break me to run a better plug. Iridium plugs are easier on the ignition system over the life of the plugs because the iridium has less restriction of the spark as the plug wears. Anything to make life easier on the ignition coil is worth a few extra dollars to me.

Here is a video of stock Harley Plugs on a dyno then a set of Iridium plugs and they picked up 3 horse power just from the plugs.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Here is a very good reason to switch to Iridium spark plugs over standard spark plugs, as a spark plug wears a standard spark plug like is used from the factory by Yamaha will slowly degrade and as the plug wears it can take as much as 40% more power to produce the same spark, that puts additional wear on the ignition coils to supply that spark.

With an Iridium spark plug they last longer than a standard spark plug so as you come upon the plug change interval the Iridium spark plug is still producing the same spark using less power from the ignition coils.

Due to the superior quality of an Iridium spark plug they will last twice as long as a standard spark plug, so if you wanted you could actually go from a 8,000 mile spark plug change to 16,000 mile spark plug change interval. Honestly Iridium spark plug specs show them to be good for between 40,000 to 50,000 miles.

Iridium Laser spark plugs last even longer but I have yet to find a cross reference for an Iridium Laser spark plug for our engines. Auto manufactures use Iridium Laser spark plugs because they will last from 100,000 to 120,000 miles.

With an Iridium spark plug specs showing they will last between 40,000 to 50,000 miles you could likely run them in our engine for 32,000 miles without any degradation of the spark plug.

I have no problem spending the extra $20 dollars for the Iridium spark plugs for the benefits they provide over the standard spark plugs. Less wear on the coil packs is a win win situation.

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
Here is a very good reason to switch to Iridium spark plugs over standard spark plugs, as a spark plug wears a standard spark plug like is used from the factory by Yamaha will slowly degrade and as the plug wears it can take as much as 40% more power to produce the same spark, that puts additional wear on the ignition coils to supply that spark.

With an Iridium spark plug they last longer than a standard spark plug so as you come upon the plug change interval the Iridium spark plug is still producing the same spark using less power from the ignition coils.

Due to the superior quality of an Iridium spark plug they will last twice as long as a standard spark plug, so if you wanted you could actually go from a 8,000 mile spark plug change to 16,000 mile spark plug change interval. Honestly Iridium spark plug specs show them to be good for between 40,000 to 50,000 miles.

Iridium Laser spark plugs last even longer but I have yet to find a cross reference for an Iridium Laser spark plug for our engines. Auto manufactures use Iridium Laser spark plugs because they will last from 100,000 to 120,000 miles.

With an Iridium spark plug specs showing they will last between 40,000 to 50,000 miles you could likely run them in our engine for 32,000 miles without any degradation of the spark plug.

I have no problem spending the extra $20 dollars for the Iridium spark plugs for the benefits they provide over the standard spark plugs. Less wear on the coil packs is a win win situation.
Was not aware of those facts. Even though they may last that long, you still need to pull and inspect them under regular periodicity. That’s because as you well know, the plugs are a good indicator to the overall health of your engine and how it’s running.
I think the LACK of increase in impedance over the life of the plug as you set forth is important. I will more than likely spring the extra cash for it on the next change.
BTW, did you investigate the FilterMag that I told you about? It an excellent added protection beyond Dimple plugs.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I saw that, Dimple sells a set of filter magnets as well. Lots of good products out there to help with the health of an engine.

·
Super Moderator
4,455 Posts
I will agree that iridium plugs do last longer. There is a side note here that no one has addressed. Today's gasoline has many additives to ensure a clean fuel system. Most people add products like Seafoam to assist in keeping the system clean. These additives adhear to the spark plug, they never totally burn off. The electriod on a standard plug does errode quicker than iridium, but as it errodes the film that additives leave also burn off. I've worked on lawn mower engines up to full race motors. This happens to all motors. Put fresh plugs in with the cheapest gas you can find without many additives. Run engine for a short time and pull plugs. If engine is properly tuned the plugs will have look almost new under a magnifying glass. Now do the same thing with top tier fuel or just put some seafoam in. The plugs will have a minute amount of glaze on them. I run standard plugs on all my carbed vehicle and change once a year, it's cheap to do. Now the newer injected vehicles do have a hotter spark and will burn standard plug quickly. I also doubt that the video is 100% correct. How old were the old plugs. What was the gap on the old plugs. What was the engine temp on the two runs, same? What was the ambient temperature? What was the humidity? What correction program was being run on the dyno? I can take the same vehicle on the same day without any changes and get a 3 to 5% various. So, what does all this mean, run regular plugs if you like checking the condition of you engine, spend a few bucks and put new ones in. Or put iridium in and forget for a while. I know a lot of you wrench on race vehicles, what is your take?

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I will agree that iridium plugs do last longer. There is a side note here that no one has addressed. Today's gasoline has many additives to ensure a clean fuel system. Most people add products like Seafoam to assist in keeping the system clean. These additives adhear to the spark plug, they never totally burn off. The electriod on a standard plug does errode quicker than iridium, but as it errodes the film that additives leave also burn off. I've worked on lawn mower engines up to full race motors. This happens to all motors. Put fresh plugs in with the cheapest gas you can find without many additives. Run engine for a short time and pull plugs. If engine is properly tuned the plugs will have look almost new under a magnifying glass. Now do the same thing with top tier fuel or just put some seafoam in. The plugs will have a minute amount of glaze on them. I run standard plugs on all my carbed vehicle and change once a year, it's cheap to do. Now the newer injected vehicles do have a hotter spark and will burn standard plug quickly. I also doubt that the video is 100% correct. How old were the old plugs. What was the gap on the old plugs. What was the engine temp on the two runs, same? What was the ambient temperature? What was the humidity? What correction program was being run on the dyno? I can take the same vehicle on the same day without any changes and get a 3 to 5% various. So, what does all this mean, run regular plugs if you like checking the condition of you engine, spend a few bucks and put new ones in. Or put iridium in and forget for a while. I know a lot of you wrench on race vehicles, what is your take?
I don't look at the Iridium plugs as a performance item for HP but rather a item that will be easier on the ignition system, as a standard plug wears it can require as much as 40% more power from the coil to produce the needed spark, the coil will provide that power but it is harder on the coil long term when it has to do that.

With the Iridium plugs they don't require as much power from the coil to produce the same amount of spark so the coil is not stressed long term.

Other noted benefits of the Iridium plugs are quicker starting due to better spark, improved idle, better power delivery and possible better fuel economy.

I know that both my Victory and Harley Davidson benefited from switching to the Iridium spark plugs over the OEM standard plugs. Both bikes did start quicker, both bikes did idle better, now the power is not enough for you to feel and fuel economy is a subjective item depending on how the riders uses that right grip.

I think the thing that needs to be looked at before changing from the standard plug to the Iridium plug is to make sure there is a direct cross reference for the plugs. In the case of the Victory, Harley Davidson and this Yamaha all three have a direct cross reference for a replacement Iridium plug.

·
Super Moderator
4,455 Posts
There are many good articles debating copper vs iridium plugs. I totally agree with you on longevity. Just not for me to use in my "play toys". Here's an interesting google quote on plugs that I agree with:

The trade-off

But the trade-off here is the conductivity of the spark plugs. Both platinum and iridium will last you long, but both of these metals are inferior conductors compared to something like copper. So in normal conditions, the copper spark plug will always outperform an iridium or some other fancy spark plug. But it will die in maybe less than half the age of these expensive plugs. People buy these spark plugs thinking they have improved the spark and hence increased the power of their stock vehicles but that is not true. One can debate whether iridium/platinum spark plugs improve the emissions/fuel economy but as far the performance is concerned, copper plugs are better in stock conditions.

·
Super Moderator
4,455 Posts
I really like learning stuff, especially motor wise. You stated:

Are you referring the 40% loss because of a worn plug with improper gap?

·
Registered
5,357 Posts
Coils dont wear, there are no moving parts. They are designed to last the life of the bike using standard $3 NGK plugs.

Iridium plugs were created for the sole purpose of being able to install them in cars and have them run 100,000 miles without changing.

I think you guys are all nuts, bless your heart! $10 spark plugs, racing synthetic oil, running hi octane gas when your bike gets better fuel economy on regular, hand made $1000 fiber glass helmets.

For me the appeal of a motorcycle is its simplicity, its inherent low cost of ownership and operation, its inherent reliability because a basic motorcycle only has a handful of moving parts that at subjected to high loads that wear them out.

If a person is going to spend $30,000 on a motorcycle, and that much again on maintenance and operation over the life of the bike, for that much money you could be flying an airplane every weekend, or take a year off and travel thru every state on a 1980 honda 750/4.

For me its always been about the riding. That is why I have a yamaha bike - if I wanted to spend as much money as possible on a motorcycle, and have it spend half its life in the shop, I would get a BMW or HD, tear half the bike apart and replace everything with aftermarket stage 1000 parts, chrome plate the tires and windshield...

You guys have fun. Tomorrow I will be on the road on the VS650 I paid $3300 for 5 years and 30,000 miles ago, wearing my new old stock carbon fiber $125 HJC helmet, my $100 boots, $200 mesh jacket, and a smile on my face I have not been able to wipe off.

·
Super Moderator
4,455 Posts
Coils dont wear, there are no moving parts. They are designed to last the life of the bike using standard $3 NGK plugs.

Iridium plugs were created for the sole purpose of being able to install them in cars and have them run 100,000 miles without changing.

I think you guys are all nuts, bless your heart! $10 spark plugs, racing synthetic oil, running hi octane gas when your bike gets better fuel economy on regular, hand made $1000 fiber glass helmets.

For me the appeal of a motorcycle is its simplicity, its inherent low cost of ownership and operation, its inherent reliability because a basic motorcycle only has a handful of moving parts that at subjected to high loads that wear them out.

If a person is going to spend $30,000 on a motorcycle, and that much again on maintenance and operation over the life of the bike, for that much money you could be flying an airplane every weekend, or take a year off and travel thru every state on a 1980 honda 750/4.

For me its always been about the riding. That is why I have a yamaha bike - if I wanted to spend as much money as possible on a motorcycle, and have it spend half its life in the shop, I would get a BMW or HD, tear half the bike apart and replace everything with aftermarket stage 1000 parts, chrome plate the tires and windshield...

You guys have fun. Tomorrow I will be on the road on the VS650 I paid $3300 for 5 years and 30,000 miles ago, wearing my new old stock carbon fiber $125 HJC helmet, my $100 boots, $200 mesh jacket, and a smile on my face I have not been able to wipe off.
You paid too much for the jacket. 😀😁😂

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I really like learning stuff, especially motor wise. You stated:

Are you referring the 40% loss because of a worn plug with improper gap?
I am talking about when the plug wears, the electrode starts to round off, that is when it starts to require more power from the coil to produce the spark.

A new plug has a sharp edge and the spark is strong, as the plug wears it starts to round off the edges and the coil has to work harder to produce the same spark.

With the Iridium plug that does not occur and the coil is not pushed as hard to produce the spark. Platinum plugs are similar but do wear more than an Iridium plug yet far outlast a standard plug.

If someone replaces their plugs every year or at low mileage then a standard plug will work fine.

Here is a video that explains the difference between the different NGK spark plugs for those who want to learn more about spark plugs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wFkCVNhXMF0&frags=pl,wn

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

Coils do wear out.

https://www.doityourself.com/stry/6-symptoms-of-ignition-coil-failure

Coil Failure

If your spark plugs are worn out, it forces the ignition coils to operate at a much higher output. Keeping your sparks plug in optimum condition can reduce your chances of experiencing an ignition coil failure. Some simple regular maintenance will save you a lot of money in the long run.

If the gap in your spark plug widens due to normal erosion, it leads to an increased voltage being required to create a spark in the chamber. The increased voltage demands more current flow through the primary circuit and this increased current flow can overload the primary transistor. Keeping all these components in good running condition is also a big help towards keeping your coils in a good working condition.

·
Super Moderator
4,455 Posts
Coils do wear out.

https://www.doityourself.com/stry/6-symptoms-of-ignition-coil-failure

Coil Failure

If your spark plugs are worn out, it forces the ignition coils to operate at a much higher output. Keeping your sparks plug in optimum condition can reduce your chances of experiencing an ignition coil failure. Some simple regular maintenance will save you a lot of money in the long run.

If the gap in your spark plug widens due to normal erosion, it leads to an increased voltage being required to create a spark in the chamber. The increased voltage demands more current flow through the primary circuit and this increased current flow can overload the primary transistor. Keeping all these components in good running condition is also a big help towards keeping your coils in a good working condition.
I will agree with this. The key is to follow manufactures recommended maintaince and you electrical spark system will always be in tip top shape.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)

Let me address your post for each item, I already addressed the coil statement in another post so I will skip that one.

Spark Plugs, they have to be replaced anyway so why not use the most current technology? Todays spark plugs are far superior to those 20 years ago.

Synthetic oil, not racing oil, racing oil is not designed for street use, but street use synthetic oil just makes sense especially in an air/oil cooled motorcycle engine, synthetic oils will survive higher temps than conventional oils can. Synthetic oils also offer superior protection because synthetic oil molecules are all the same where conventional oil every molecule is a different size/shape, that is what makes synthetic oils superior to conventional oils. You have to change your oil anyway so again why not use the best to protect your investment?

Premium fuel, the higher the octane the slower the burn rate of the fuel making higher octane fuels burn cooler, in an air/oil cooled engine the higher octane fuel allows for less likely hood of pre ignition, lower combustion temps resulting in a cooler running cylinder. I can afford the extra 60 cents to a dollar premium fuel costs me at each fill up.

High end helmets. Well I buy Arai for several reasons, one they are hand made, they are very well designed, they use only the highest quality materials, they are designed for comfort and superior air flow. My personal comfort is a high priority as well as high quality in the helmet. Cheaper helmets are not as comfortable and don't last as long. I also demand my helmets be snell certified. As the old Bell Helmet ads used to state, if you have a $10 dollar head buy a $10 dollar helmet, I happen to have a $ 1,000 dollar head as does my wife so we buy what we consider to be the very best helmet on the market, Arai.

Tomorrow the wife and I will be riding to a BBQ joint to try it out rain/weather permitting. We will be wearing our $1,000 dollar Arai Corsair X Sena 30K equipped helmets and enjoying this awesome Yamaha Star Venture Transcontinental motorcycle.

·
Registered
809 Posts

For me, KCW...the thrill of the hunt, is not in how much less I spent than another. For myself...the thrill of the hunt..is in knowing that the ride I have under me, is exactly what I wanted, (no financial expenditure as the filtering agent), appointed exactly as I wanted, parts at a level of technical achievement, spark plugs (I get it American, lol), quality level of oil and other lubricant specifications EXACTLY as I see fit to have inside, and outside my engine, bushings, etc...and all , not filtered ONLY by how much money less it cost me than the guy or gal, passing me, or my passing them on the open road.

THAT is the 'kick' I get outta riding my ride.

KCW...that is my appeal....money, does me no good, the other side of the 'Green'...and I worked very hard...did my dues in scholastic requirements, to garner it....and in the end game, to let me HAVE, and exactly as I want it to be, with no financial filter, or mandate on how much I spend, or in how much I didn't spend, in my joy, and persuit of motorcycling.

That's what gets me my kicks of late, LOL!

Cheers,

Joe

·
Registered
809 Posts
Let me address your post for each item, I already addressed the coil statement in another post so I will skip that one.

Spark Plugs, they have to be replaced anyway so why not use the most current technology? Todays spark plugs are far superior to those 20 years ago.

Synthetic oil, not racing oil, racing oil is not designed for street use, but street use synthetic oil just makes sense especially in an air/oil cooled motorcycle engine, synthetic oils will survive higher temps than conventional oils can. Synthetic oils also offer superior protection because synthetic oil molecules are all the same where conventional oil every molecule is a different size/shape, that is what makes synthetic oils superior to conventional oils. You have to change your oil anyway so again why not use the best to protect your investment?

Premium fuel, the higher the octane the slower the burn rate of the fuel making higher octane fuels burn cooler, in an air/oil cooled engine the higher octane fuel allows for less likely hood of pre ignition, lower combustion temps resulting in a cooler running cylinder. I can afford the extra 60 cents to a dollar premium fuel costs me.

High end helmets. Well I buy Arai for several reasons, one they are hand made, they are very well designed, they use only the highest quality materials, they are designed for comfort and superior air flow. My personal comfort is a high priority as well as high quality in the helmet. Cheaper helmets are not as comfortable and don't last as long. I also demand my helmets be snell certified. As the old Bell Helmet ads used to state, if you have a $10 dollar head buy a $10 dollar helmet, I happen to have a $ 1,000 dollar head as does my wife so we buy what we consider to be the very best helmet on the market, Arai.

Tomorrow the wife and I will be riding to a BBQ joint to try it out rain/weather permitting. We will be wearing our $1,000 dollar Arai Corsair X Sena 30K equipped helmets and enjoying this awesome Yamaha Star Venture Transcontinental motorcycle.
As I now say to others when using my C.B. radio' "Ten Four, American, Ten Four!".... You go, guy....total agreement on all speaking points! I buy Arai...because it is the best quality on the market. My brain, is the best that God Almighty decided to equip me with...and protecting my head with the thought of doing it on the cheap...is not a thought, that generates within that Grey Matter....lol. Both my wife and myself have encased our Grey Matter, in the most comfortable and custom fit 'brain guard' out there on the market today. The name upon the helmet, can only be, Arai....(you go, Joe, you go....).

Other's will pack their brains in makes of other manufacturers and strata of quality-of-build. For my wife and myself...it has always been Arai...and will always be Arai.....you only have to hold them, inspect them, wear them...and the rest of the gang...is in the rear view mirror.....for this couple....

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Helmets are a personal fit item everyones head shape is a little different, Arai fits my wife and I, some people Shoei fits them better and Shoei makes a very good helmet as do other manufactures out there.

What you get in the higher end helmets is higher quality materials, better air flow, better fit and finish long term.

The snell rating is important to me, some it is not, the problem I have with the DOT rating only on a helmet is the DOT rating is done on the honor system and helmets are only spot checked, so a non compliant helmet could be sold for years without ever being exposed.

I also don't buy into Dexter Fords "Blowing the lid off" propaganda piece he did years ago. Dexter Ford has had a vendetta against Snell for years and he used the article to try and destroy Snell. The problem with Dexter Fords article and test is two fold, one he just does the same old drop tests and he makes conclusions that they match real world crashes. The helmet Dexter Ford said was the winner was the cheapest helmet in his test.

Web Bike World I think is their web name does helmet test, not crash test but real world user tests and they tested that helmet Dexter Ford said was the best helmet and Web Bike World did not like the helmet saying that Dexter Ford may think it is the safest helmet out there but it is so uncomfortable in use that you won't want to wear it so what good is a helmet you don't want/won't wear.

Snell takes there testing farther than does DOT testing to account for a crash where you may experience multiple strikes to the helmet, every helmet that wears a snell sticker that line has been through the snell testing at the snell facility. Snell then does spot checks in the field to make sure the helmets being sold with the snell sticker comply with the snell standard.

I have an HJC helmet, it is an ok helmet but it does not have the same quality as an Arai helmet does. Both are Snell certified, the HJC I bought when I was getting back into motorcycle riding after a long break, I needed a helmet for the motorcycle safety class and HJC is carried pretty much by all the motorcycle shops around me because they are fairly cheap price wise. I used that HJC for the class and retired it and bought Arai helmets that I had to mail order because none of the motorcycle shops around me carry Arai in their showrooms.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 27 Posts