Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. My name is Derrick, and I'm from Bama (Roll Tide!). I have done a lot of reading in this forum, and decided to go ahead and join. I currently ride a bone stock 09 blue V Star 950 and love it. I have had three bikes before this one. First (and dumbest for me) was a 78 kawasaki ltd kz 1000 on a 900 frame. That bike quickly taught me that I do not need one that will stand up. The next two were V Star 650's, a classic first and custom second. I put a lot of miles on both, and finally decided to get a little more power. All in all i have been riding for close to 15 years, and have loved all most every second of it (didn't care for the wheelie). This will be my third year with the 950, and I am starting to think hard about mods. I have some Iso grips on the way, as well as some aftermarket mirrors. It really needs new pipes, there is just no sound with the stock one. I have put a lot of thought into cobras, the slip on's may be more my price range. New air kit will probably be in the not too distant future as well. Anyway, I will probably do more lurking than posting, but I will be here.

·
2,518 Posts
Welcome from the still frozen north, Derrick. Lots of 950 owners here who can offer tips and advice on your mods. I put a set of Kuryakyn ISO grips on my 1100 last summer and love them. I was getting numbness on the highway with the stock ones and they virtually eliminated it. Easy to install too.

If you've been hanging out for a while you know we love pics here so post one when you get a chance!

·
Premium Member
1,155 Posts
Welcome from Sunny N Florida. Pipes/slipon and air kit will require a tune. I recommend Ivan's Performance. The Cobra slipon sounds really good IMO. I had it on my 950t. I used a Dynojet tuner.. All it does is remap fuel. It was ok, but Ivan will do a lot more. Where in Bama? We will be riding to a big get together in Bama next month in Ozark.

·
Super Moderator "Loose Nut"
5,500 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'll be glad to post pics when I take some good ones! NGM, thanks for the advice on the tuner. I live about 80 miles east of Birmingham, in a small dark corner that progress and industry has long since waved goodbye to. Seems like more and more things shut down every year. I've heard of Ozark, never been, never had a reason to go lol. Bevo1981, your bike looks great. By the looks of it, seems the factory wheels are all that is left unmolested lol. I really like the skull idea.

·
Super Moderator
6,414 Posts
Welcome to the forum from your neighbor to the east, as in East Tennessee. I’m a 950 owner as well, and it’s far from bone stock. We’re glad you joined us and please share some pics with us. We’re planning a meet and greet in September, so come and join us. Look in the thread about the 2018 Southeast Regionals. Ride safely!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
909 Posts
... I live about 80 miles east of Birmingham, in a small dark corner that progress and industry has long since waved goodbye to. Seems like more and more things shut down every year...
Are you near Talladega National Forest? I used to race at Talladega Gran Prix Raceway in Munford quite a bit and loved exploring the National Forest area. I was surprised with how many armadillos there are in that neck of the South considering that I haven't seen any only 50 miles east in GA.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
My apologies, Diogenes415. I actually meant that Birmingham is 80 miles east of me. I didn't realize I wrote it that way until you quoted it. Wow at the stupid things I can do when I'm in a hurry. The armadillos are a big affirmative though, we have to be very careful riding at night around here. I have never hit one, but I am absolutely positive the end result wouldn't be favorable. As a matter of fact, there have been quite a few riders throughout the years that have lost control of their bikes and wound up with the shiny side down. A couple of them I know for a fact were older experienced riders, with no other vehicles involved. I have never put 2 and 2 together until just now, but I would bet vital parts of my anatomy that 'dillos were involved.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts