Yamaha Starbike Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 01 V-star 1100 needed a new battery after sitting for two months.:eek: So yesterday I took care of that but now I don’t hear the clicking sound when I turn the key to run. I always thought the clicking was the fuel pump pumping and my ever so faithful bike won’t start it just rrrr, rrrr, rrrrs.
Any ideas??
Is there a fuse for the fuel pump? Or am I way off and can it be something else?

Btw, I did get it to start with some starter spray it fired up ran off the spray then dies.
Thanks for any suggestions...

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Reaction score
sat to long

Steelride,

Sounds like you just proved the problem is fuel. I hope your fuel valve is turned off but doubt it.
Possibly your fuel gummed up while setting. Can you pull the tank or the fuel line off and dump the old, rinse it out and put in new fuel. Change the fuel filter and flush the line. If it still will not start you may have pulled gum into the carburetor jets. So the next thing would be to clean them. Good luck.

Dave

·
Registered
9 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
it's something else

That's a good call Dave, thanks, but... I pulled off the side cover and put a meter on the wire going to the fuel pump and nothing. Is there a relay switch somewhere that could be burned? or any other reason the current is not getting to the pump?

Oh and yes I will finally break loose with a couple bucks and buy a book. Not to start a new thread but what book is best?

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Reaction score
fuel pump

Can't help on the book, I bought one on E Bay, it seems to have stopped loading.

There is a fuel pump relay, the relay is picked up by the Ignighter unit. The ignition fuse and stop switch need to be OK. Unless something has changed you have ignition. I would check the relay. I don't think you have a tip over switch.

Dave

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Reaction score
Relay

Is it a relay you can take apart and clean the contacts?

Cleaning a contact with anything abrasive or gritty would be a mistake. You would be opening yourself up for being stranded but, a can of contact cleaner and a dollar bill works, for a while. An old trick I learned a few years ago. Most things you would clean a contact with will take off any plaiting, scar, leave lint, or grit between the contacts. The contacts would then start to arch and go bad soon. If the relay turns out to not be the problem you would not have done any damage. A dollar bill does not leave lint behind. If the bill catches the contact is pitted.

Still would need to replace it but could be part of your trouble shooting, maybe give a few days of riding.

Dave

·
Registered
9 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Getting more interesting… electrical problem

Let’s recap… I’ll start from the beginning: I did a stupid thing, I jumped started my bike with my truck and yes it was running… yeah I know! Stupid! Let’s move on… The bike ran a short time then stalled.

It is getting spark and will start with starter fluid but dies immediately.
Now I am not getting any power to the fuel pump. Also when I jump directly to the fuel pump it does not click or pump. So I think the fuel pump is toast.
I thought no power to the fuel pump, might be a bad relay. So I borrowed the relay switch from another bike - same make, model and year. Same problems no fix. So I tried the ECU and still have no power to the fuel pump. I put my relay and ECU in the other bike and it started no problem.
I cannot get in to the shop until Friday so I have a couple more days to try to screw it up more.
Any suggestions?
thanks, Paul

·
Registered
9 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hope the dealer can figure it out...

My sister and I both have 2001 1100s we bought them new. Both bikes have ran great with just standard maintainance. :)

On these bikes when you put the key in and turn it to the start position they make a clicking sound - pumping fuel.

My problem is there is no electricity at the fuel pump and I don't know why. My relay switch is good and so is my ECU. I know this because I put them in the other bike and the fuel pump clicked and the bike started fine...

I just picked up a Yamaha service manual, I will see if it has anything to say.
Thanks guys for your ideas.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Reaction score
battery

Do you think it could be as simple as the new battery is not fully charged? The ignition unit will not pick up the relay untill some safetys are met. The truck jumper may have been the reason it started rather than causing the problem. Both are 12 volt so should not be a big problem, unless you screw up.
Dave

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.