Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone!
I own a 2003 V star 650, I’ve been working on it for the last week or so after school and work. So far I have checked the starter relay, the refractor, fuel pump, starter and they all checked out good! I also had the battery checked and reads out 12.7 volts. I changed all fuses in the bike since it had been sitting for a good year or so and wanted to get that factor out of the way.
I turn the ignition on all the lights come on and pump primes but as soon as I hit my starter switch nothing happens. Starter doesn’t even spin, I checked my clutch switch and it checks out fine, and it seems like my bike doesn’t have a kick stand switch since it was modified to a aftermarket kick stand which makes me believe they bypassed the switch.
The previous owner said the bike worked but stored it because he bought a couple different bikes that were more comfortable than a bobber v star.
Any thought of what could be causing the problem?
Thanks in advance for any help!

·
Super Moderator "Loose Nut"
5,359 Posts
Do have power to starter relay when you hit the starter button? Have you checked continuity at the kill switch? The kick stand switch is just a ground, did you check? Does starter solenoid click? What is voltage at battery when you hit starter switch? I know, lots of questions but fixing electrical is a process of elimination.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the starter relay did click when I was checking it off the bike and I jumped it although it doesn’t click at all when I hit the start switch

·
Super Moderator "Loose Nut"
5,359 Posts
Sounds like you are not getting power to relay. Test for continuity at starter switch.

·
Registered
5,634 Posts
If you can coast the bike about 100 feet down a driveway or on the street in neutral

with the key on, the kill switch on Live, the fuel on, the choke pulled out - when the bike gets up to about 10 or 15 mph pull the clutch in, kick it up into 2nd gear, let the clutch back out in a 1 second release... the bike should start without having to use the starter.

If it starts and runs then you have a starter circuit problem. If you cant push start it, then something else is going on.

To be clear, the bike will not start or continue to run if the kick stand is "down" and the bike is in any gear but neutral. Since the kickstand switch has been tinkered with, it is suspect #1.

BTW, the bike does not have a clutch switch. It has a neutral switch, that will make the green light go on when the bike is in neutral (between 1st and 2nd), but nothing on the clutch.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I’ll try to start it tomorrow as adviced ! Thanks for the help I’ll keep you guys updated!
And I thought it did, it does have a electric out put that when the clutch it pulled it reads continuity, I thought that was a switch of some sort.
Does anyone know where the kick stand connects to ? There is literally no switch or wires anywhere close to it on the frame

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hello guys, i haven’t forgot about the forum. Okay so non of the advice above did anything to my motorcycle. So what I assumed is that the engine is seized maybe from sitting for some time. To assure my assumptions what I did I tried to crank the engine by hand by the crankshaft, and sure enough it’s seized and I broke my crankshaft bolt trying to turn it over, so now I believe a used motor is the cheapest and best solution.
Thanks to all for the help

·
Registered
5,634 Posts
That really sucks!

Its hard to believe you broke the bolt on the center of the crankshaft (on the left side of the engine, right) ?

If the bike had been sitting for a long time, its possible the rings could have rusted to the cylinder walls, making it hard to break loose... but not that hard.

If the engine is dead seized, then either the timing chain broke and the pistons mashed the valves (locking the engine), or the engine was overheated to the point where the pistons swelled from the heat and galled the cylinder walls. Maybe the clutch blew apart... Either way, it was not running when it was stored.

·
Registered
909 Posts
Wow, what conditions was the bike stored in and for how long? I've picked up bikes that sat in junkyards for years that didn't have seized motors.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well guys I know it’s been a few weeks but I’m still working on the bike, so I heard from the past owner that what really happen was that some how gasoline entered and mixed with the oil, therefore not lubricating or cooling the engine the proper way, one day he went on a ride and 3 miles in the engine locked up on him and he had to get towed back home so I believe he overheated the engine to the point where the pistons welded to the cylinder wall, but good new I bought a hunk yard engine, have been working on it for the past week and it should be going on today, I sent the gas tank and fairings to paint and those should also be in today hopefully I’ll have her ready this weekend to ride her for the first time.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
KCW it was the one that’s located on the left side of the engine and I turned it clockwise I heard that if you do the opposite you’ll mess the timing system up

·
Registered
5,634 Posts
Its good the previous owner fessed up.

Usually such bikes are sold on craigslist as "not running, needs TLC" or THC or LSD... Im not good with alphabet soup listings...

gas in the oil usually happens when the float bowls stick open and gas floods thru the carb while the bike is parked with the petcock valve left on.

Thats one way to destroy a MC engine.

if thats what happened, and you are going to re-use those carbs, they will need to be cleaned and checked over.

·
Premium Member
312 Posts
Nanqkz, That's quite a story. I sure hope you got the bike for a very low price having to do all that you're doing now. That's a lot of work that will need tweaking. Good luck!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hey guys ! So she’s finally running, I’ve been riding her for 3 weeks now and she’s good so far she still needs work done such as; tires, rear fender, batwing fairing, and front wheel upgrade. Slowly but surely she’ll get there. I’ll attach some pictures below.
It sure was a lot of work but it was all worth it, the engine swap wasn’t to difficult actually and got most of the work done in 2 weeks, all done in my front porch after school or work.

·
Registered
5,634 Posts
nicely done bringing it back to life

if the tires are dried out go easy on them, the back tire will lock up or slide out before you know what happened

1 - 17 of 17 Posts