Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 2002 vstar 650 been sitting for 3 years i reclean the carbs but i have another problem there is no fire in front spark and no fire in the rear i know both coils want go out at the same time so could it be the pickup coil please help need to ride:(

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Pick up coil

Henery,

If you have an Ohm meter check the resistance of the pick up coil. Disconnect the wires and read resistance through the coil. It should be between 180 and 230 Ohms.

You have some interlocks that control the ignition module. I believe the stop switch and side stand switch are mostly it.

Check the ignition fuse. I believe you should have 12 volts on he coils. Not sure on that part.

If the battery voltage is below 12.7 volts the ignition may not fire. So the battery must be up. Actually works down to 11 or so volts but with no load the battery should be 12.7 volts.

Dave

·
Registered
410 Posts
With an analog volt meter you can check the voltage to the coil. The needle will jump every time it is to fire. It may not show 12v, but it will show a signal being sent. When I hooked up my tach I believe it was to the grey wire, this should be psoitive. Hope this helps
Doug

1 - 3 of 3 Posts