Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been riding with a modular full face helmet for the last 18 months since I got back into riding. I rode all last summer with that black helmet. It was HOT even with the vents opened. It was great during cooler weather and I added a balaclava for cold weather rides.

So Friday I was at the motorcycle shop and started looking for something that would provide a little more air circulation and a cooler color than black. I looked hard at the half helmets but couldn't convince myself that was the way to go. I settled on a silver 3/4 helmet with a full face shield.

I rode to Mayberry (Mt Airy) by way of Mt. Pilot (Pilot Mountain) today it is about a 35 mile ride one way and wore my new helmet. On the way back, a vehicle in front of me lifted some small gravels my way on Interstate 74/US 52. We were running 65-70 mph. A couple gravels hit my feet, no big deal since I had my boots on. Two came above my windshield hit my face shield just above my eyes. I'm convinced I picked the right helmet. There are a couple of small dings in the face shield and not my forehead!

It is 93 degrees on my back porch this afternoon and I wasn't uncomfortable hot.

A half helmet likely wouldn't have protected me from these little gravels- from the sound I imagine they would have left a mark!

·
Registered
167 Posts
IMO, if you are gonna wear a half-helmet, may as well not wear one at all. They offer such minimal protection.

I won't wear anything but a full face since I found out that shattered jawbones are one of the top injuries in motorcycle accident. Apparently, one's face likes to find hard things to hit on its way over the handlebars.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Full face all the time - did you see the news/video coverage last week of the biker that got dragged under a pickup truck and he was face down. If he hadn't had a full face on, his face would have been hamburger.

·
Registered
380 Posts
I liked the idea of a 1/2 helmet at one time, even bought an inexpensive one that I intended to use on short trips like my 4 mi trek to the gym. But after a few hits to the face by big bugs, gravel, etc., I put it up. Guess I'm soft, will stick with my FF and sweat some in the summer. I bought an Icon Airmada back in Jan that has really good air flow, should help some.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I always wear my modular helmet when I ride. IMO the modular helmet is kinda like the best of both worlds. I have the protection of a full face and while stopped I can flip it up and talk to whomever I'm riding with.

·
Registered
62 Posts
last yr i went down an was wearing my full shell. when i hit the shield was ripped off the helmet. had i had anything less on it would have ripped the side of my face off. i look at it this way, better be a slight bit uncomfortable then loose your face.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
I enjoy the ride in my 1/2 helmet. Thinking about buying a second one that includes a visor. What I enjoy more is the fact we live where we can each choose what helmet we want to wear. As long as your comfy with it, enjoy it.

·
Registered
524 Posts
I don't wear a helmet unless I'm going on a long ride or to a state where i half to iv had big a$$ june buds dang near knock me out lol my wife prefers to wear one witch is ok with me to each there own

·
Registered
882 Posts
I won't wear anything but a full face since I found out that shattered jawbones are one of the top injuries in motorcycle accident. Apparently, one's face likes to find hard things to hit on its way over the handlebars.

Yup. Any time you have a chance to talk to a paramedics (or even one) just ask them about bike wrecks. Jaws, hands, forearms. Gruesome stuff.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
I knew that pic was coming soon? :D

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Found my new helmet

Found my new helmet. It matches my pumpkin perfectly.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,052 Posts
I have both full face w/ speakers and a 1/2 helmet. The half looks like a police issue. Black w/ just a sliver visor. I wish it had more visor.
However, I like to use it more for shorter rides and when it's really hot.
Florida Summer heat is a scorcher. Winter time or any longer rides than say 10 miles round trip I always use the full face.

I never ride without a helmet. My friend up the street was riding his bike a week ago when a small rain shower caught him and he had to
stop quick on the wet road and went down at 30 mph.
Broken collar bone, broke 4 ribs, punctured lung, arm in a sling, etc.
He said as soon as he touched the brake lever the bike just went down.
A truck behind him narrowly missed running him over for the kill.

Full face helmet on > no injury to his head face or neck.

jake

1 - 19 of 19 Posts