Yamaha Starbike Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello VStar Experts:

I have a 2004 vstar 650 custom that I ride occasionally. Was sitting thru winter and I was able to crank it a few weeks ago. Battery is relatively new and holds charge (checked with a volt meter).

yesterday - it was cranking up a few times while attempting to start and completely went dead.

1. Checked battery - full charge

2. Checked main fuse - looked ok - also swapped with spare - just in case

3. Checked the two 30v fuses in main relay- both ok

any suggestions. Nothing comes on - no lights - no power to anything

thanks

·
Super Moderator
3,977 Posts
Welcome from Sacramento, Ca. Can't help with your problem but someone will be along shortly. If you post in New Member Introductions we could get to know you better.

·
Registered
885 Posts
Welcome from the FL panhandle.

Hello VStar Experts:

I have a 2004 vstar 650 custom that I ride occasionally. Was sitting thru winter and I was able to crank it a few weeks ago. Battery is relatively new and holds charge (checked with a volt meter).

yesterday - it was cranking up a few times while attempting to start and completely went dead.

I'm not a mechanic, but do know a little about electricity. How do you define fully charged?

To me, it sounds like you let the battery sit through the winter and then was surprised/relieved when it cranked the bike. Come back a few weeks later, not having done anything else to the battery, and started cranking. Bike didn't start so you cranked it until the battery died. 12 VDC reading on a battery does not equal a fully charged battery.

I suggest you hook up a battery charger, wait for it to do its thing, then try again and see what happens.

Reactions: arby

·
Registered
5,724 Posts
You can take the battery out and have it load tested. It might have enough volts but not enough amps.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I had the battery in a trickle charger and when I checked it has 12.6v charge … not even the lights are coming on when ignition is turned on … thanks all in advance for your feedback - let me know

·
Super Moderator "Loose Nut" - Houston, Texas
2001 Vstar 1100 Classic (sold), 2006 HD Electra Glide Ultra Classic
11,819 Posts
I would first check the main fuse on the starter relay. Then I would check all battery connectors for corripsand tightness, especially ground cable to bike it self. The would have battery load tested at a local automotive parts store. Trace power from battery, 12.45v or higher, check voltage on both sides of starter relay. Check voltage going into fuse panel and going out. If you have no power at all you will trace the interruption this way.

Reactions: arby

·
Registered
2003 RS Warrior S*2-1-2(G2). -AIS. VBAK/K&N(RC1290). CobraCVT. Ivans. SR-2. DC2-1.
83 Posts
Hello VStar Experts:

2. Checked main fuse - looked ok - also swapped with spare - just in case

3. Checked the two 30v fuses in main relay- both ok

any suggestions. Nothing comes on - no lights - no power to anything

thanks
For this condition you can think about voltage as pressure, and also think about it like a medium like water through which fish (electrons) can swim. The 12v of pressure (water) does not do any work. It's the amperage that is the electronic flow and to do work it has to be allowed to flow.

Starting batteries need some level of voltage that the electrons can move in. Too little voltage and amperage cannot move.

Starting batteries need a deep amount of stored electrons so when they flow its enough to do work. In this case the work of turning the starter motor with enough force. Domestic lead acid AGM batteries are rated in amper-hours (AH). As a battery dies from age or from stagnation, the available amperage dwindles. At some point the lights will illuminate but pressing the start button only rattles the starter solenoid because there is inadequate amperage to push the switch all the way closed (connected). Quickly after that there is inadequate amperage to even illuminate incandescent bulbs. Then not even LED. But the battery will still static test ~12v.

I agree with Les. Pull the battery and have it load tested. It's 99% of the time the culprit in these conditions. Unlike lithium-iron Starting batteries, AGM batteries cannot be recovered from dead. Avoid Lithium 'Ion' batteries which tend to catch fire when challenged. Lithium 'Iron' is very stable even when challenged. Examples include Shorai with its very special charger.

Staying with lead acid AGM is fine too. Get a good modern floater-charger for lead acid.

BTW the main starter relay has two 30a fuses, one of which is a spare. Check the red POS battery cables both in and out of the relay for voltage (indicating a path exists for electron flow). Also check the black NEG battery cable all the way to its frame connection point. All of which Les has stated earlier.

I hope this clarifies why I feel certain this will solve your trouble. But if it does not, let us know and we will take the next step.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hello All. Took battery to advance auto parts. They charged it for a day and tested it and said it was ok. Brought it back home - has 12.3 in voltmeter but no power to anything. I checked main relay - power seems to be coming thru that since it also showed the same voltage on the output. Fuse (both 30 amp on the relay and the other main fuse box is fine - I also replaced both with the spare - just in case )… anything else I can look at

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Also, just ran a test. 12.4 - bike turned off. When I turn on the bike key switch - voltage drops to 0.8

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi All: Based on another post, I ran a jumper cable from my car battery which then allowed the bike to wake up from the dead … so certainly seems like the battery is the culprit. Thanks all so much for the insights …

1 - 11 of 11 Posts