Yamaha Starbike Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am certain this has been a topic a few times but my situation varies slightly. I recently purchased a wrecked 2014 bolt from copart and was excited when I got it home only to slap everything together and find out there is no spark. So bike has fork damage mainly and some damage to handlebars, all in all bike is sound and cranks but no spark I was able to get the dash working, I'm getting a code 24 and code 19 research tells me 24 is o2 sensor( aftermarket exhaust has no slot for o2) and 19 is kickstand curcuit I've tested switch it works fine doesn't appear to be a break in line. I have checked killswitch resistance it's fine coil resistance is 2-3k I'm assuming normal (not getting power to it ). Transmission fine. The bike went down on right side and got bike with no keys (figured I'd put that at the end) I did jump positive and negative pins on ignition, don't know if bolt works that way. If you can't tell I've worked on at least a light bulb before 馃槢 . But I'm getting no spark whatsoever. I figure it's something simple because none of any wires look frayed or damaged except feul pump from tank slouching off ( still works) brand new battery (I'm a distributor for motobatt). So very sorry for the long post I just wanted to get as much information across as possible! I've tried 4 forums with no response hopefully one of you fine people can help a fella out!!

Registered
1982 XV1100,1989 XT600Z Tenere, 2008 F800ST
Not sure about the Bolt, but for the past 25 years it has become more and more common for bikes to require the exact key for the bike to provide spark, as the key is coded to the ECU..

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That had been my concern I have picked out a new ignition and am going to be having it sent in soon. However any other suggestions if not the ignition switch?

Registered
1982 XV1100,1989 XT600Z Tenere, 2008 F800ST
Doing a bit of googling, it does not appear that the Bolt came with anti-theft gadgetry in USA back then, although I cannot swear on it.

I would begin by checking that you have 12v over the coil connections, as this 12v supply is typically broken under specific conditions regarding stand down, bike in gear, clutch out, kill switch set to off or combinations of these. But I do not know exactly how the Bolt is set up. On my son's CB400SF, the ECU was involved as well, so the typical shorting of the clutch and sidestand switches did not work.

There is also a Bolt-specific forum that likely have more suggestions than this forum - excellent as it is, does not have a very active Bolt section.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Doing a bit of googling, it does not appear that the Bolt came with anti-theft gadgetry in USA back then, although I cannot swear on it.

I would begin by checking that you have 12v over the coil connections, as this 12v supply is typically broken under specific conditions regarding stand down, bike in gear, clutch out, kill switch set to off or combinations of these. But I do not know exactly how the Bolt is set up. On my son's CB400SF, the ECU was involved as well, so the typical shorting of the clutch and sidestand switches did not work.

There is also a Bolt-specific forum that likely have more suggestions than this forum - excellent as it is, does not have a very active Bolt section.

I am on that forum as well hoping a combination of the two will help me out but I will also be replacing the switch and the pegs so for sure I can rule out the switch not being an issue( switch mounts to pegs might be bent)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts