Yamaha Starbike Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2002 Yamaha Vstar 650, it belonged to my dad and was sitting for I believe over 10 years.
I’m new in the motorcycle community and wanna get it running in his memory.

so far what I’ve done is:

new “computer” CDI
(replaced with a DYNA 3000)
New battery
New fuses (good but replaced)
New Main switch (good but still replaced)
New coils ( coils tested good but bought new)
New relay box
(old one had a burned diode, but still nothing)
New stator and pick up coil
New oil

key got lost, did replace the ignition key set

engine does turn/crank. Have tried it with the clutch in and kickstand in.

what I did notice is that if I meter the orange cable to the red/blk cable I get 12v
To my knowledge it supposed to be pulsating current.

Everyday I scratch my head, think and wanna pull my hair out. Can someone please help.

·
Administrator - "Loose Nut" - Houston, Texas
2001 Vstar 1100 Classic (sold), 2006 HD Electra Glide Ultra Classic
12,126 Posts
Have you done a compression test? Could have some valves stuck open from sitting. How did you confirm no sparks? Are you sure you are getting fuel? Have you tried starting fluid to see if it at least will cough? Did you check power to coils? Did you check power to dyna? A lot of questions, but tying to narrow things down.

Reactions: RandyIRL

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Have you done a compression test? Could have some valves stuck open from sitting. How did you confirm no sparks? Are you sure you are getting fuel? Have you tried starting fluid to see if it at least will cough? Did you check power to coils? Did you check power to dyna? A lot of questions, but tying to narrow things down.
cranking it with the spark plug off pushes the air out through the hole. I am not sure about the valve. I confirmed the no spark with trying to ground it straight to the engine body, I did see that the spark plugs had a little of gas on it so it is getting fuel. I do get 12v to the coils. The dyna was an LED that is on in the back of it... all great questions 👍🏼

·
12,126 Posts
I would still do a compression test to confirm. If you don't have a compression tester a cheap one from Harbor Freight or Amazon will work fine.

Or most automotive stores have a rental tool program. Also, new fuel or old fuel? If fuel is old, might have gummed things up, try starter fluid to rule carb issues out. Just had another thought, plug boots. We had someone that had similar issues and the plug wires were not punched into boots all the way.

Then other time the plug wires had internal issues with too much resistance. I would check resistance.

The other thing is the TPS sensors have gotten unplugged or damaged working in the area. You could test the TPS real easy.

Keep us posted and we'll keep giving ideas on getting it going.

Reactions: dmil123

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
How clean is the carb?
How about the gas, how old is it?
A dirty carb, plus old gas can keep a bike from starting.

Ride smart. Ride often!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I’ll get a hold of a compression tester. And TPS went over my head I’ll give it a reading tonight didn’t even think it had anything to do with the spark. It has new gas, since It had some rust built up. Made sure I cleaned it well. Forgot to mention I did clean the carburetor.

someone on a different feed posted to ground the black pickup coil. It didn’t work.
Also I read maybe the ignition coil wires are swapped, but there is one bigger than the other so I didn’t think so, never tried.

all good ideas. I’ll keep you updated.

·
12,126 Posts
The TPS will not stop spark, will advance or retard the timing enough to effect the spark.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forum from NY and another 650 owner.
Attached is the ignition troubleshooting pages from the shop manual.

You can download the full shop manual using the thread below...

A Clymers manual also has more useful wiring diagrams if you can get your hands on one. Check Amazon.

You might also check the neutral and sidestand switches to ensure you have continuity thru them when closed.

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My resistance on my TPS from where the black and blue are meant to be plugged in is 4.1k ohms
And the throttle about 0.6 to 9.1 when turning the throttle.

also tried going back to the stock CDI and I do still get 12v from the orange cable of the ignition coil to engine ground when the key is set to the on position.

·
12,126 Posts
Have you tested the pickup coil?

Reactions: Deeksvstarclassic
1 - 10 of 10 Posts