Yamaha Starbike Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
410 Posts
I would start with the fuses, then check all connectors for looseness and corrosion. Check the plug wires for damage. It could also be something like the kill switch, but that controls the starter. check the red w/black stripe wire at the coils for 12v with the ignition switch on.
Hope this helps
Doug

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Battery

Doug covered it pretty good, there is an ignition fuse. Only other thing if it has set for a while and the battery is low try jumping it. If the battery falls low while cranking you might not get a spark.

Dave

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Doug covered it pretty good, there is an ignition fuse. Only other thing if it has set for a while and the battery is low try jumping it. If the battery falls low while cranking you might not get a spark.

Dave
Yes, Sugar Bear thinks Doug and Dave have pretty much covered things that could getter goin again, from the old school guy, go with what those boys say, think you will be happy:) Dave talked bout the battery needs to be full, he is totally correct, Sugar Bear dealt with that very thing, little things make a world of difference.;)

·
Registered
410 Posts
I guess I was assuming (bad thing) that the starter was turning the engine over. Usually means the battery has enough juice to start the bike. if all is well. But the battery could aslo be an issue.
Doug

·
Registered
2001 VStar 650 Classic
535 Posts
Got the same thing with my 01 650 classic. What was the fix?
No spark on one cylinder or both cylinders?. I had an issue not long ago of no spark to the rear cylinder only, turned out to be a bad coil. If you don't have spark on both cylinders you'll need to check what's mentioned above plus ohm test the stator or pick up coil.

·
Registered
2001 VStar 650 Classic
535 Posts
First things first. Check the voltage of the battery. While it may have enough juice to turn the engine you may not have the voltage required (12.8 v) to generate sparks.

After you have verified you have the voltage required to generate spark check the pick up coil and the stator. For this, you are going to need to remove the gas tank. The connectors are located right above the choke button. Check those as recommended by the service manual.

·
Administrator - "Loose Nut" - Houston, Texas
2001 Vstar 1100 Classic (sold), 2006 HD Electra Glide Ultra Classic
13,920 Posts

·
Registered
2001 VStar 650 Classic
535 Posts
I used a multimeter on the pickup coil wire located just under gas tank. I think it's called wire harness. I got no reading when set to 200 oms. If it is pick up coil should I replace stater also as long as im down there?
@Caveman33 - If it was my bike I would replace the stator, you are already there, but that's just me. Reason for this, as you mentioned it above, you are already there. You are going to have to drain the oil, remove the cover, you're going to need a new gasket.
If you don't replace the stator, let's say down the road it fails, you're going to have to the job all over. Again, this is just me.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.