Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Today I went to start up my 650 V-star and started fine this morning as did when I rode it Friday back and forth to work. This morning before work to take bike I went to start and waited for warm up after 5-10 min it stalled and would not start back up until I came home from work with no issues at first. I took off and within 20 yards the bike stalled again and will not start back up. I have checked for gas, fuses, no loose connections. I tried spark test on plug but no spark. Im lost.... I don't get it all was fine all day Friday and sat in garage over weekend and now this

·
Registered
5,567 Posts
... I tried spark test on plug but no spark. ...
if the plugs are clean and not fouled out, it sounds like you have a problem with the electronic ignition

there is an inline adapter thing you can get that gives you a better indication if your plugs are getting a good voltage.

If you are sure the ignition has failed you can get the Yamaha Factory Service manual as a free download in a pdf file. There is a section for debugging ignition problems.

I did catch one thing in your description of the problem, do you start the bike up with the choke on and let it warm up for 5 to 10 minutes, or did the bike stall 10 minutes down the road?

If you are letting the bike sit and idle for more than a minute on the choke, it will be running rich until you push the choke all the way in, and will really foul out the plugs.

·
Registered
52 Posts
do you start the bike up with the choke on and let it warm up for 5 to 10 minutes, or did the bike stall 10 minutes down the road?

If you are letting the bike sit and idle for more than a minute on the choke,.
What year is the bike? Mine doesn't have a manual choke.

·
Registered
5,567 Posts
only the Vstar bikes with carbs have a choke: 650, 1100, Royal Star / venture / Roadstar...

·
Super Moderator
6,266 Posts
Welcome James!
Appears you’re getting some good feedback on your issues. Lots of helpful knowledgeable members here, keep us updated and share a pic when you can.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator "Loose Nut"
5,067 Posts
Welcome from Houston, Texas. Glad you joined us. Ride often and safe.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts