Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is a better looking bike, but at highway speeds, 65-85, feels like its going to pull my petit, 230lb body off the bike. How many of you ride with none?

·
Registered
297 Posts
Ok I'm spoiled for the dressers.

My Strat S is all dressed up, the fairing is a Memphis Shades with a clearview 14 in curved windshield, MS lowers and also bucks lowers, also with the quick disconnects, comes in handy for cleaning and checking things out, I took it off oneday and went for a spin, it's a whole new charactor without the fairing, wind noise that I am not used to having, and the bike looks goofy with the bags and trunk with a naked front end.
I do about a 100 miles a day, average for work, all weather. So it's staying put for me. It's pretty calm behind this setup for me, I'm 6'6" and can see over the 14 inch clearview shield just fine. Very low buffeting when following any distance behind a big rig, just bumps of air. But at reasonable speeds I can talk to my backseater just fine without yelling. Not at 75-80 on the interstate, but country rides.

·
Registered
396 Posts
I have the windshield, love it and couldn't imagine being with out it. i can hear my rider if i have one, i can relax because i don't need to fight the wind and the windshiled makes my hair look good.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I commuted on my liner last fall about an hour each way, and I'm adding a shield/fairing this spring (I'm actually shopping now) because I want to be a little more comfortable. I've run other bikes with and without shields, and for the highway commuting, it really is a nicer experience with the wind protection.

Now to decide between the MS batwing and windshield. Sigh. I can paint it myself, so that's not a worry, I just can't decide between the two.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I rode today without the windscreen... no highway though. I have to agree the window helps a lot on the highway. I do have to say the bike has a great look without it though!

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Cool vs comfort, I (at this point in life) pick comfort every time:D Knocking bugs off, beating down the excess wind, wind noise ect. Besides, a good lookin windshield sets off a nice ride, imhfo:D

Ride Safe:cool:

·
Registered
122 Posts
Cool vs comfort, I (at this point in life) pick comfort every time:D Knocking bugs off, beating down the excess wind, wind noise ect. Besides, a good lookin windshield sets off a nice ride, imhfo:D

Ride Safe:cool:
I completely agree...as long as the windshield is proportioned to the bike, it can look nice. And let's face it, the liner is so big, you can get away with a big piece of plexi up there before it looks strange.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Screen

I am 57 been riding bikes since i was around 12...Always been of the impression that screens were for pussies...Brought roadliner and it came with a screen...Used it for a coupla long rides and now find i also am a pussy....Its sad i know but whats a bloke gonna do..??

·
Registered
396 Posts
Young vs Old

I am 57 been riding bikes since i was around 12...Always been of the impression that screens were for pussies...Brought roadliner and it came with a screen...Used it for a coupla long rides and now find i also am a pussy....Its sad i know but whats a bloke gonna do..??
i have to laugh. i don't think you are a pussy. i think you are far smarter in your old age. when young we do things to make ourselves look tough (and sometimes feel miserable). as we age we find out that the tough image isn't really all that smart of a way to go sometimes. the first year i got my bike all my buds were wearing Gerbing heated jacket liners. i called them pussies and rode in the cold freezing my ass off (Minnesota) yet we would get to the destination of choice (bar) and they were all happy as larks and i was shivering trying to warm up with a cold beer in my hand. not much fun or comfort there. i bought a Gerbing heated liner and holy crap, i was laughing out loud the first night i drove home with the temp hovering around freezing. i will never ride or be without it again. am i a pussy? no, i can hang with the best of them when needed. do i enjoy riding with this smart old man tactics. oh hell yeah. it is common for us to ride in 34 deg temps with it getting colder at night. without the windshield and the heated liner this would never happen. be smart and get the windshield. you can always take it off if you get a detachable unit and put it back on when the weather looks less desirable. i would strongly suggest you get the Gerbing heated jacket liner, especially if you don't get the windshield. it will give you the warmth you need to keep riding when the others are putting their bikes away for the year. i gain at least 2 month of extra riding because of the protection and warmth. i so when you see me ride you think, holy crap that guy is hardcore. its frikin freezing and he is still riding. who looks tough now? me the pussy with the heated liner. also nobody can tell you are wearing heated liner so you can retain the tough guy status.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Now to decide between the MS batwing and windshield. Sigh. I can paint it myself, so that's not a worry, I just can't decide between the two.
I have the windshield, don't use it mind you, ...yet, but much prefer the batwing...Much better look - Curious as I have the 2tone model, gray and white, how would you paint if thee were me? I would pay someone.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

:D I'm probably with you, though the one that came with my bike is huge - I'll get someone to cut it down.

·
Registered
672 Posts
I only had it on from the dealer to my house and it hasn't been on since. In fairness I haven't taken any long trips as of yet but, I've been on the highway plenty doing anywhere form 60 to 80. I also wear a full-face helmet though. :D

·
Banned
4,088 Posts
:D I'm probably with you, though the one that came with my bike is huge - I'll get someone to cut it down.
If you haven't yet, visit the "Modification Finder" thread:

http://www.starbikeforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6110

In there there is a link to my D.I.Y. windshield height cut down.
If you have and can use a saber saw, a file and sandpaper, you can do it.
Having been 50 for several years now myself, on long trips, I guess I've become a pussy too. :D

·
Registered
122 Posts
Memphis Shades has a quick disconnect so you can have both worlds. The shield comes off in under 15 seconds. Over 50mph and I get beatup by the wind It also will allow you to ride when it's colder out. I agree that is does take away from the look of the bike. I'm not a fan of the batwing either due to the fact that it hides the front of the bike but it's very functinal and a lot of people like the look so........

1 - 15 of 15 Posts