Yamaha Starbike Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I’m new here and strongly considering adding the Star Venture to the stable.

I’ve done some LD riding on my Wing (multi time IBR finisher) and some off road stuff on my Tenere. Both of which I plan to keep.

I’m liking the idea of a cruiser that I’ll probably just leave alone and ride. I really like the looks, creature comforts, and luggage capacity. I’ve also never owned a V twin so that would be something new and different.

I’m not really excited about the new Wing with the loss of luggage capacity and weather protection.

The air cooling was a concern but I see the bike is really air/oil cooled due to the rather large oil capacity and the hidden oil radiator.

I’ve seen a few threads of some seemingly random failed top ends. It doesn’t seem endemic but I guess if it’s your bike it doesn’t matter.

For those that have the bike and love it, please let me know all the pros!

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Hello all,

I’m new here and strongly considering adding the Star Venture to the stable.

I’ve done some LD riding on my Wing (multi time IBR finisher) and some off road stuff on my Tenere. Both of which I plan to keep.

I’m liking the idea of a cruiser that I’ll probably just leave alone and ride. I really like the looks, creature comforts, and luggage capacity. I’ve also never owned a V twin so that would be something new and different.

I’m not really excited about the new Wing with the loss of luggage capacity and weather protection.

The air cooling was a concern but I see the bike is really air/oil cooled due to the rather large oil capacity and the hidden oil radiator.

I’ve seen a few threads of some seemingly random failed top ends. It doesn’t seem endemic but I guess if it’s your bike it doesn’t matter.

For those that have the bike and love it, please let me know all the pros!

Thanks in advance!
Over the years I have owned many new Wings...and loved each one. In 2018, we traded in our 2008 GL1800 Nav Goldwing, and I/we bought my/our (also) first V-Twin engine, motorcycle, and my wife and I simply are crazy in love with that engine...powerful, GORGEOUS LOOKING (!!!!!!) fun, engaging...NEVER BORING...and I highly recommend the SVTC, for if you ride it within its design and manufacturing spec's, (not dragging a loaded trailer behind it) you should see (by the numbers as you say) no major failures. Of course you will do prescribed maintenance, and I feel you will become a V-Twin 'groupie as my wife and I have become. To have no cooling system apparatus other than fins and an oil cooler and outboard oil tank, is simply wonderful to know that nothing with having a liquid system, might be prone to fail. We love it.

In 2019, we rode down from Toronto to Phoenix, Arizona in JULY...and never, never had one issue with overheating, or outright engine seizure. Besides that, there were a ton of Harley's in the city as well. Nobody was sitting on the side of the roads, ever...and we assume that many of those other V-Twin riders live there year round. Enjoy...for both my wife and I feel it (right now) is the best, the absolute BEST luxury Grand Tour platform on the Market.

I'm sure you will love it.... Please note, this is a massive low produced rpm- torque engine....so short shift, around 2,200-2,500 rpm per up gear,....and you can 'idle ' around town at 40 mph all day at 1,700 rpm in fifth, if you want. The pipes will mature deeper and slightly louder around 3,500 miles or so... We love ours (2018) truly...and am planning next year for some major M.C. trips...as we seem to be all getting around the C19 mountain bend...and while typing one final thought...I have never had the need to ever put the engine over 4,000 rpm. I did it once for kicks, but truly found no higher performance than that where the engine produces its full torque at around 2,800 rpm. In other words, you truly have no real need to ever go past 3,000 rpm tops...even in a passing mode on a two way...just open up that throttle and shift each gear around 3,000 rpm and you will fly around the slower traffic....

·
Registered
245 Posts
I have the Eluder Version and love it. If I toured a lot I would have bought the Venture. The troubles aren't wide spread but as you would expect there have been a few with such low production numbers. Compared to the thousand of Wings sold I'm guessing the failure rate is on par with production numbers.

·
Registered
154 Posts
1) 5 year, unlimited mile warranty. 2) Wife says the seat and ride is far better than any other touring bike we've owned, and the heat works! Most were Yamaha, there was also a Kaw. Vulcan, and we have ridden GW, Indian, and HD. 3) Most confidence inspiring ride I have owned in 30 years, except, maybe, my '93 Fj1200ABS. And it feels that light and nimble, underway. 4) Until someone does a really good NAV, this one is pretty damn good, and I am learning more about it with every ride. I still use a Zumo... 5) Adjustable windshield is awesome, and it help keep me in the tunes at 75. I know some have made upgrades to amps and speakers - I'm almost deaf and I don't get it... Finally, it is a bad ass looking bike with incredible storage. Two helmets in the tail? Hell, I regularly put an 18 pack of longnecks and a gallon of milk in there... I know: it's overweight, but it's my last stop, and I don't feel it on the ride home. I have an early '18. Aside from the brake switch issue, which was an easy swap, I, like MOST, have had no issues. Get the 2020 or the '21, you'll be worry free. Long Haul Paul did a 100K on his 2018 - no issues at all.

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
1) 5 year, unlimited mile warranty. 2) Wife says the seat and ride is far better than any other touring bike we've owned, and the heat works! Most were Yamaha, there was also a Kaw. Vulcan, and we have ridden GW, Indian, and HD. 3) Most confidence inspiring ride I have owned in 30 years, except, maybe, my '93 Fj1200ABS. And it feels that light and nimble, underway. 4) Until someone does a really good NAV, this one is pretty damn good, and I am learning more about it with every ride. I still use a Zumo... 5) Adjustable windshield is awesome, and it help keep me in the tunes at 75. I know some have made upgrades to amps and speakers - I'm almost deaf and I don't get it... Finally, it is a bad ass looking bike with incredible storage. Two helmets in the tail? Hell, I regularly put an 18 pack of longnecks and a gallon of milk in there... I know: it's overweight, but it's my last stop, and I don't feel it on the ride home. I have an early '18. Aside from the brake switch issue, which was an easy swap, I, like MOST, have had no issues. Get the 2020 or the '21, you'll be worry free. Long Haul Paul did a 100K on his 2018 - no issues at all.
Regarding the saddle, ..my wife absolutely concurs with yours. I was 'toying' a few months back with getting a 3rd Party...but when mentioned to my wife, she blearted out like a machine gun; "WHY?!?!?!?" Because of the O.E.M saddle comfort for the both of us...well, I had no good answer. That idea died right then and there...lol. No Wing model year, I have ever owned, compares to the O.E.M. Yamaha SVTC saddle...none. That is saying, MUCH! My wife, ADORES that she has heat from her shoulder blades down to her ankles...in early Spring and late Fall riding. Ankle and calve heat controled by if the two front lower vents are open or closed, and her own custom set heat for her behind and back....I could not PULL her off of that bike...and I now know, don't ever talk of another tourer....(hand's off!) unless it would be another current model year, Yamaha Star Venture Trans Continental. The 'message' from my darling...is clearly understood! LOL! Oh yeah....oh yeah...:eek::D

·
Registered
61 Posts
Far to many issues with this bike. I can't recommend it.
Rob, from your experience and others we all have determined that pulling a trailer seems to be a significant contributing factor in the failure of the rear lifters/cams and the drive pulley bearing failure. Is that correct? Can you elaborate?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
1) 5 year, unlimited mile warranty.
I’m about to pull the trigger on a 2020.

It’s my understanding the factory warranty is only for 1 year and you have to pay extra for YES coverage up to 5 years. I believe the 2018s are the only year you got that with the bike.

Can anyone confirm?

Finally, it is a bad ass looking bike with incredible storage.
After what they did with the Wing the looks and storage was what originally attracted me to the bike!

·
Registered
'18 SVTC
354 Posts
Bought my 2018 in November 2019 and it came with the 1+4 warranty you mention, no charge for the 4 year YES coverage. Warranty start date is November 2019. I believe the terms for the 2020 warranty are the same.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Bought my 2018 in November 2019 and it came with the 1+4 warranty you mention, no charge for the 4 year YES coverage. Warranty start date is November 2019. I believe the terms for the 2020 warranty are the same.
Based on the verbiage and asterisks on Yamahas website for 2020 models it sure seems the additional 4 years is an extended service plan through YES.

·
Registered
738 Posts
Rob, from your experience and others we all have determined that pulling a trailer seems to be a significant contributing factor in the failure of the rear lifters/cams and the drive pulley bearing failure. Is that correct? Can you elaborate?
Pulling a trailer should have zero affect on lifters and cams. Drive pulley bearing is what happened to mine. Not sure if Yamaha is using trailer or car tire as a reason for denial or if they even denied warranty. I was told to ride it to failure and we would go from there. Out of all of the failures I only know of two that pulled a trailer, one was covered under warranty with no issues... Mine was not. I think the main factor is your dealer, if they give Yamaha a chance to void your warranty, Yamaha will do just that. Yamaha told me they could void the warranty over an aftermarket windshield. Don't trust them to do the right thing.

Sent from my moto g stylus using Tapatalk

·
Registered
'18 SVTC
354 Posts
Based on the verbiage and asterisks on Yamahas website for 2020 models it sure seems the additional 4 years is an extended service plan through YES.

Yes, the extended 4 year warranty is handled through the YES program. No charge, no deducible, etc. It acts just like a 5 year warranty (allegedly). I've had some small warranty work done beyond my 1st year and it was seamless.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yes, the extended 4 year warranty is handled through the YES program. No charge, no deducible, etc. It acts just like a 5 year warranty (allegedly). I've had some small warranty work done beyond my 1st year and it was seamless.
Thanks for that info. The description on the website makes it seem like it’s an extra.

·
Registered
1,333 Posts

I'm sure on the Canadian site, they are advertising the fact that you have a full 5 year warranty on the 20 and 21's. I can't see that that would not be in play, also in the States?!??!?

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
..and I just had 6 weeks ago...$$$$'s of work done by Yamaha Canada, and not one cent was asked of me.....and this was three years after my purchase. So, definitely you get a no hassle 5 years as long as you don't abuse the bike.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I'm sure on the Canadian site, they are advertising the fact that you have a full 5 year warranty on the 20 and 21's. I can't see that that would not be in play, also in the States?!??!?
I agree it is just confusing the way it is presented.

whenever there is an asterisk and the words “extended” are used it typically means an extra cost.

In this case it appears not.

Curious as to why they make a big deal out of separating the factory warranty from the YES plan when you get essentially the same coverage.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
..and I just had 6 weeks ago...$$$$'s of work done by Yamaha Canada, and not one cent was asked of me.....and this was three years after my purchase. So, definitely you get a no hassle 5 years as long as you don't abuse the bike.
Just to add, that’s certainly a testament to the warranty and Yamaha standing behind their product.

But to be fair, not really great evidence of build quality or long term reliability.

I’m hoping whatever changed between 2018 and 2020 made a difference in some of the problems that were out there for first year customers!

·
Registered
154 Posts
I’m about to pull the trigger on a 2020.

It’s my understanding the factory warranty is only for 1 year and you have to pay extra for YES coverage up to 5 years.
" ...and you have to pay extra..." That is Total Garbage! That said, more than one unscrupulous dealer has been caught with hands down someone else's pants. It's a I year warrant and then a 4 year Y.E.S. for five total.
Scroll down to the bottom of this page: <2021 Yamaha Star Venture Transcontinental Touring Motorcycle - Photo Gallery, Video, Specs, Features, Offers, Inventory and more>.
Then Click the button on the left.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
In
" ...and you have to pay extra..." That is Total Garbage! That said, more than one unscrupulous dealer has been caught with hands down someone else's pants. It's a I year warrant and then a 4 year Y.E.S. for five total.
Scroll down to the bottom of this page: <2021 Yamaha Star Venture Transcontinental Touring Motorcycle - Photo Gallery, Video, Specs, Features, Offers, Inventory and more>.
Then Click the button on the left.
I think this was confusion on my part more than anything. And the website is absolutely unclear IMHO. Dealer confirmed 5 years is included with purchase price.

We've all had "bad dealer stories" but this isn't one of them so far!

1 - 20 of 37 Posts