Yamaha Starbike Forum banner
21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Just to add, that’s certainly a testament to the warranty and Yamaha standing behind their product.

But to be fair, not really great evidence of build quality or long term reliability.

I’m hoping whatever changed between 2018 and 2020 made a difference in some of the problems that were out there for first year customers!
I can attest that the (at least) 2021 model, should correct all the 'too quick to market' snafu's that came with the 2018 model. That's what they (Yamaha Canada) did six weeks ago to my own 2018, as well as 5 other 2018 SVTC owners. They swapped out the original 2018 modules, reworked the space of the Module Compartment, and inserted the various 2021 release Modules that were needed to effect the corrections. So, while my SVTC was physically produced (down the Assembly Line in Japan) in 2018, my bike is now for all intents, usage and purpose a reconfigured 2021 model year.

The bike itself, has no physical changes (small part of the wiring harness) other than color, from 2018 to current. The changes were to the electronics, software and part of the wiring harness. That was all re and re'ed on my bike by Yamaha Canada.

Interesting note...so there were 6 (six) 2018 SVTC's that were reconfigured to become virtually 2021's... and all other owners BUT ONE, are as happy as I am. Yamaha Canada thinks on one, that there was a serious manufacturing defect that found its way onto one SVTC. The 2021 re and re has not worked 100 percent for that ONE SVTC! They (my dealer told me) are as stumped (Yamaha)as the dealer and the owner. What they are going to do about his SVTC, is only Yamaha's 'hush 'n 'hush. My dealer will surely know, but probably will not tell me if I ask...as it truly is none of my business, other than curiosity satisfied. For myself and the other 4 SVTC's that were converted. It's dancing in the streets all the way! I think my virtual 2021 SVTC is simply an all-round fabulous Grand Tourer, and has found its 'forever home' like my 2004 Kawasaki ZR-7S. With the owning of these bikes, I have the best of both worlds...Grand Luxury Tour, and Sport/Tour for some mountain valley 'carving' up... :) and on the SVTC...going from Toronto to Vancouver, only if for a cup of great clam chowder...why? Because ya can...lol. In luxury and comfort. My wife SAYS SO! 👱‍♀️

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
I can attest that the (at least) 2021 model, should correct all the 'too quick to market' snafu's that came with the 2018 model. That's what they (Yamaha Canada) did six weeks ago to my own 2018, as well as 5 other 2018 SVTC owners. They swapped out the original 2018 modules, reworked the space of the Module Compartment, and inserted the various 2021 release Modules that were needed to effect the corrections. So, while my SVTC was physically produced (down the Assembly Line in Japan) in 2018, my bike is now for all intents, usage and purpose a reconfigured 2021 model year.

The bike itself, has no physical changes (small part of the wiring harness) other than color, from 2018 to current. The changes were to the electronics, software and part of the wiring harness. That was all re and re'ed on my bike by Yamaha Canada.

Interesting note...so there were 6 (six) 2018 SVTC's that were reconfigured to become virtually 2021's... and all other owners BUT ONE, are as happy as I am. Yamaha Canada thinks on one, that there was a serious manufacturing defect that found its way onto one SVTC. The 2021 re and re has not worked 100 percent for that ONE SVTC! They (my dealer told me) are as stumped (Yamaha)as the dealer and the owner. What they are going to do about his SVTC, is only Yamaha's 'hush 'n 'hush. My dealer will surely know, but probably will not tell me if I ask...as it truly is none of my business, other than curiosity satisfied. For myself and the other 4 SVTC's that were converted. It's dancing in the streets all the way! I think my virtual 2021 SVTC is simply an all-round fabulous Grand Tourer, and has found its 'forever home' like my 2004 Kawasaki ZR-7S. With the owning of these bikes, I have the best of both worlds...Grand Luxury Tour, and Sport/Tour for some mountain valley 'carving' up... :) and on the SVTC...going from Toronto to Vancouver, only if for a cup of great clam chowder...why? Because ya can...lol. In luxury and comfort. My wife SAYS SO! 👱‍♀️
It seems whatever electronics gremlins were solved in 2020 production.

Curious as to the root cause of the head/cam problems? I know oil can have a large effect but it seems more likely poor heat treatment on some lifters.

There are also a small number of output bearing failures. I’m unsure if that is just a random defective bearing or some larger design issue?

As a potential owner one has to ask, what changed between 2018 and 2020 regarding assembly or parts specification/sourcing to correct the root causes? We may never know.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
I would just go buy it and ride it. The folks without problems far out weigh the one's that do have problems. You could "What If" it do death and be one of those poor bastards riding a Goldwing. I'm kidding of course, The GW is a fantastic machine also.
That’s probably where I’m headed.

Each bike has strengths and weaknesses. The Wings are not without their flaws either. On that note I certainly like the air filter access on the SVTC compared to my GL1800!

I’m kind of excited to try out a v-twin. I’ve ridden tons of bikes but can’t say I’ve ever ridden one with a v-twin.

·
Registered
2008 Yamaha Road Star Silverado (Gray, hard bags, etc.)
809 Posts
I’m kind of excited to try out a v-twin. I’ve ridden tons of bikes but can’t say I’ve ever ridden one with a v-twin.
It's a different experience for sure. One is shift points. Kind of like driving a small 4 cyl. car with a stick vs. a big diesel truck. The small car revs way up to get to the power and shift points, the big diesel (or V-Twin) has a much lower power/torque RPM for it's shift points. It's really kind of cool once you get used to it.

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
I would just go buy it and ride it. The folks without problems far out weigh the one's that do have problems. You could "What If" it do death and be one of those poor bastards riding a Goldwing. I'm kidding of course, The GW is a fantastic machine also.
"Excellent advice!".... Forget the hand-wringing...and just use them to write the cheque...!!!! Then....enjoy, one heck of a great Tour mount.

·
Registered
1,333 Posts

Each bike has strengths and weaknesses. The Wings are not without their flaws either. On that note I certainly like the air filter access on the SVTC compared to my GL1800!

"Oh Lord...be careful...for if you DO, delve into the DARK SIDE, that of sitting on top of a V-Twin...you...WILL BE DONE LIKE DINNER, just as myself and my wife are....there is no other Tour 'engine' that we would want...and she was there with me, for 4 of my new year Wing purchases....right behind me, always. Andy...she actually TOLD ME, that she does not want to lose this bike....

...and as they say, "I NEVER challenge any of my wife's decisions, because...I was one of 'em!"

·
Registered
245 Posts

If you are near Kansas City stop by, you can ride my Eluder and see if you like it. I have no doubt you will. Cruising down the highway at 75 mph with the cruise on just seems effortless. I'm adding heated grips to mine this week so I can extend my riding season, it already has the heated seat.

·
Registered
1,333 Posts

On our 2008 GL1800, it would take me 5 hours for a full re and re of the filter...SO DUMB, to bury a need's-replacing element whereby half the bike has to be disassembled to get to it. Dealers...must have struck a deal with Honda...over that one! When I saw the air filter housing on our SVTC...I merely...smiled....oh yeah....20 minutes...sipping a beer...

·
Administrator - "Loose Nut" - Houston, Texas
2001 Vstar 1100 Classic (sold), 2006 HD Electra Glide Ultra Classic
12,735 Posts
Congrats, looking forward to ride reports.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts