Yamaha Starbike Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone. I'm just checkin' in to say hello. I've been watching these forums for a couple months now but didn't register because I didn't have anything to say before. Well, I went out and bought myself a nice blue/silver 650 custom (which, after 2 days of riding... I'm already ready to upgrade to the 950) and I've spent most of my time riding it these past couple days.

So, hello. Expect to see me around these parts.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Welcome fp! I can only wish that you would've come here before you purchased your bike. I would have definitely recommended the 950 over the 650, just for it's longevity. I'm a new rider too and I had looked at the 650 (a buddy owns one) and read up on the reviews of the 950. In the end, it seemed like there was an obvious choice. However, the 650 is a great bike. Which did you get? The classic or the custom? The rear fender is the giveaway. If it's swooped up, it's the custom. :)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yep, definitely bought the Custom. I like the Classic but not as much, put a lot of research into the bikes before I went and bought them. I just had everyone telling me that I would drop my first bike and I didn't want it to be a 950... now that I've gotten used to the bike over the past couple weeks (I know, not long) I am already ready to upgrade to the 950 purely on the fact that the 650 really doesn't like the freeways or going over 60 mph with me on it. I weigh 230 at the moment... I'll be down to 200 by the end of summer but I still want more bike to be able to cruise at higher speeds. I'm working on getting that problem dealt with a little by installing Vance and Hines Cruzers and a K&N Intake.

·
Administrator
15,486 Posts
I am already ready to upgrade to the 950 purely on the fact that the 650 really doesn't like the freeways or going over 60 mph with me on it. I weigh 230 at the moment...
i'm in the same boat as you. the main reason why i never even considered the 650 was for this very reason you just described.

I'll be down to 200 by the end of summer but I still want more bike to be able to cruise at higher speeds.
i've been telling myself that one for years now. hopefully you'll have more luck.

i've found that the 950 has plenty of power up to 90MPH (that's as fast as i wanna go on it) as i'm hitting 75MPH every day taking it to work on the highway.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, kinda have to. Military says I'm overweight even though my body fat % is below standards. Stupid rules... so I get to lose some muscle in this, unfortunately.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts