Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So here is something I have wondered about for years and for the life of me cannot find the answer. For the sake of time here I am going to assume we all understand about tire grooves and treads and how their patterns make a tire directional.
We all know that every street motorcycle has directional tires on them. (At least everyone I have ever seen) So can anyone explain to me why a motorcycle is the only vehicle on the rd whose front tire, while labeled directional, has the grooves turned the opposite direction of the rear tire and every other directional tire manufactured? :confused:
I'm sure I am not the first person to ever notice this but no one seems to have an answer. I have asked dealers, parts guys, and mechanics. All seem to be as clueless as me if not more so. Some had never even noticed.

If you have never noticed or paid any attention to it walk out to your bike and take a look. The rear tire grooves are positioned so that during rotation the leading edges of the grooves are in the center of the tire and push water outward. The front is exactly opposite, the leading edges are towards the outside of the tire.

Bike tires have been made this way for years so it is obviously something more than what I am visually seeing but I would just like to know WHY.:D

·
Registered
418 Posts
It is designed that way to give you more bite and more water evacuation when in a turn. BTW the back tire grooves on my Exedras are not straight from the center out. They turn on the outer edge similar to the direction on the front tires. Also not all motorcycle tires are as you describe. Another mystery of the mind. :) Augie

·
Registered
894 Posts
The back tire is designed for better performance while accelerating. The front tire is designed for better performance while decelerating. I cannot confirm it but it would seem reasonable that the treads would be different as a result. This discussion has come up before when talking about using rear tires on the front. I don't remember which forum.

Edit: On second thought, after looking at my tires, it looks as if the tires are designed to channel water while the bike is leaning and the tread looks perfectly suited to do so designed this way. +1 commonground.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts