Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been having problems with slippage but recently I changed the oil in my 2007 xvz 650 classic and niw when I shift from 1st it goes straight to neutral and I have to shift several times to go into 2nd. It some times will go right into second and some times wont... I figured maybe the oil was too light (10w-40) so I added lucas oil stabilizer and that helped some.... Do you guys think it is just the oil or maybe something else?

·
Registered
418 Posts
If you already had slippage, I would bet the clutch operation is marginal and your problem is not oil related. Is the clutch linkage set properly?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I believe so, I haven't changed it since I bought the bike in February.....maybe I should look into that? How will I know if it's correct?

·
Registered
155 Posts
OK let me ask you this... if you are in 4th cruising a good speed and you hammer on the gas, are you getting solid acceleration and you have to shift to fifth, or are you feeling the clutch slip and there's little to no acceleration despite RPM climbing? Also, what exact oil did you put in on the oil change?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yea I have good acceleration in all gears.....I have had it slip into 2nd from 3rd while accelerating before but in 4th it does good....just mostly having a problem with it not wanting tho shift into second gear. I used Castrol 10w-40, was using 20w-50....I drained about half a qt out and put in some lucas stabilizer to thicken up the oil which slightly helped

·
Registered
155 Posts
OK that doesn't sound like your clutch is going as far as I know... you should have slippage under hard acceleration before you have trouble shifting gears. Can you go here and tell me exactly which oil you put in:

Castrol - Motor Oil, Engine Oils, Full Synthetic Oil, Transmission Fluid and Lubricants

Basically are you 100% sure it was JASO rated oil? Having problems shifting from 1st to second and slippage is a symptom of using a non-JASO rated motor oil that is not intended to wet clutch use. And apologies if you already knew all this, I didn't when I first started lol

EDIT - Sorry I should also mention that it could very well be time to change the clutch, depending on how the old owner used it. I had to change my clutch at exactly 21,700 miles, which is 500 miles from your current mileage.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I think you're right about the clutch, the oil is jaso rated but the guy before me putt after market exhaust and air filter and I'm not sure if he changed the jets.....Probably wore this clutch out

·
Registered
155 Posts
I think you're right about the clutch, the oil is jaso rated but the guy before me putt after market exhaust and air filter and I'm not sure if he changed the jets.....Probably wore this clutch out
I could be wrong but I don't think running lean would put any undue hardship on the clutch... if anything the upgrades would simply be a waste without proper jetting. But if your guy rode the clutch a lot like the previous owner of mine, it could be time. Btw if you bring it to a competent mechanic, they can tell you within seconds if your cable appears to need adjusting.

Changing your clutch is easy by the way, there's a couple of great Youtube videos for your bike on how to do it. It was the first thing I ever did on my bike mechanical wise and it was easy. The biggest pain in the ass for me was getting the crankcase cover back on without the damn gasket moving out of place. In fact it took me longer to get the cover back on with the gasket properly aligned than the entire rest of the job lol! Also a pain in the butt carefully scraping off pieces of the old gasket from the cover.

Dan

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Lol well that makes me feel better about messing with it.....I might replace the clutch just to do it so I know it's new....plus I'm trying to find a good mechanic in the fort worth texas area

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
I have been having problems with slippage but recently I changed the oil in my 2007 xvz 650 classic and niw when I shift from 1st it goes straight to neutral and I have to shift several times to go into 2nd. It some times will go right into second and some times wont... I figured maybe the oil was too light (10w-40) so I added lucas oil stabilizer and that helped some.... Do you guys think it is just the oil or maybe something else?
sounds like a problem with shifter fork#2 which is 2nd and 3rd gear, could be binding in the drum groove or could be bent. if the clutch is releasing and gripping then there's nothing wrong with it, a slipping clutch won't affect shifting but a dragging one will, if it were dragging you'd know it by the bike lurching when dropping into first. the thing is you can't get to the drum and forks without splitting cases

1 - 13 of 13 Posts