Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I went out and bought a 2005 Yamaha v Star 650 classic I started turning it into a bobber build and it sat for a while because I got caught up with life so I ended up needing a carb clean I took it to Libby's motor world in New Haven Connecticut and when I got it back I had so many problems! I suppose the first thing I should mention was that when I had it cleaned I also had them jetted out because I gave them slip-ons to put on the exhaust but they said that they didn't fit so they just didn't do it and yet it was still jetted out The issue that I have with the bike well the best way that I could describe it would be that it feels like it's running out of gas and it's definitely not could that be a back pressure issue as in I need to do something with my exhaust? I did drill into the end of my exhaust for decent size holes which helped it stop sounding like a scooter but didn't solve the problem... It happened kind of recently so I was hoping it was bad gas but I drained it and refilled it with known clean gas and still same issue it really bogs and sputters but only when I roll on the throttle starts to fine choke works fine idles fine it's not gear specific it's not specific to any amount of throttle... Any ideas please help??!!!

·
Registered
2011 Yamaha VStar 650
482 Posts
Likely to be running rich if it's been rejetted for slip-ons but still has the OEM exhausts fitted. I would recommend that you pull the spark plugs and check to see if they are fouled with black soot (or they may even be wet) - if they are then it's rich. If this is the case then you have a few options - rejet back to OEM spec, install slip-ons as you originally planned or gut the OEM exhaust.
If you need help deciding whether the plugs look fouled, post a pick of them on here.

Reactions: Boog

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
First thing i would do is pull the plugs and see what they look like.
Awesome I will definitely do that tonight... And by getting out OEM exhaust you mean removing the baffle entirely from the inside?? I was thinking about doing that but I was worried that it would not have enough back pressure then is that a thing to be worried about?

·
Registered
187 Posts
Awesome I will definitely do that tonight... And by getting out OEM exhaust you mean removing the baffle entirely from the inside?? I was thinking about doing that but I was worried that it would not have enough back pressure then is that a thing to be worried about?
I had my baffles totally removed when I had my 650. Ran great. Stock jetting. I would pop a little bit on deceleration but nothing major.

Reactions: Boog

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
First thing i would do is pull the plugs and see what they look like.
Likely to be running rich if it's been rejetted for slip-ons but still has the OEM exhausts fitted. I would recommend that you pull the spark plugs and check to see if they are fouled with black soot (or they may even be wet) - if they are then it's rich. If this is the case then you have a few options - rejet back to OEM spec, install slip-ons as you originally planned or gut the OEM exhaust.
If you need help deciding whether the plugs look fouled, post a pick of them on here.

What do you think? If it is foul...that means it's rich? Meaning I meet to change my air intake? So it can get more air to even the mixture right?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Registered
3,930 Posts
Start the bike run it up to where it isn't running correctly,then either you or a helper spray carb cleaner around the intake manifold. See if it changes how it runs. If it changes you have an air leak around the intakes. It will either be cracks in the manifold or the base where it connects to the head. If you are running stock airbox and drill exhaust, you should have stock size jetts. But an intake leak doesn't show up till you give throttle, it seldom shows at idle.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Start the bike run it up to where it isn't running correctly,then either you or a helper spray carb cleaner around the intake manifold. See if it changes how it runs. If it changes you have an air leak around the intakes. It will either be cracks in the manifold or the base where it connects to the head. If you are running stock airbox and drill exhaust, you should have stock size jetts. But an intake leak doesn't show up till you give throttle, it seldom shows at idle.
Ok so my carb is jetted and exhaust is drilled I'll have to try and see if I can make the problem happen while in neutral usually no issues till I get it upwards of 30mph! First time using forums this **** is awesome it's so nice to be able to talk to people that actually don't mind helping someone out and not just looking to get paid and on to the next bike thank you all so much for your responses so far!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok so my carb is jetted and exhaust is drilled I'll have to try and see if I can make the problem happen while in neutral usually no issues till I get it upwards of 30mph! First time using forums this **** is awesome it's so nice to be able to talk to people that actually don't mind helping someone out and not just looking to get paid and on to the next bike thank you all so much for your responses so far!
Would you say that looks like a fouled plug??

·
Registered
975 Posts
Just something else to confirm... were the carbs sync'd after the jet change? Let us know how you make out after following Jspree's advice.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just something else to confirm... were the carbs sync'd after the jet change? Let us know how you make out after following Jspree's advice.
I'm trying it right now but the intake is less than a year old and the air box as well

·
Registered
975 Posts
if they are both dry with a light tan appearance, properly gapped and a good electrode, I would judge them to be ok. Were the intake boot orings replaced at the same time?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Did the spark plug look fouled to you
Ok so my neighbors hate me but runs great with no issues choke on and choke off and rolling on throttle even with throttle rolled on for a good amount of time it seems to be only when the engine has a load on it that it has issues.... Whats next can't really spray carb cleaner in air intake while riding I'm honestly not that good a rider lol?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ok so my neighbors hate me but runs great with no issues choke on and choke off and rolling on throttle even with throttle rolled on for a good amount of time it seems to be only when the engine has a load on it that it has issues.... Whats next can't really spray carb cleaner in air intake while riding I'm honestly not that good a rider lol?
Just to give you guys more of a description starts up good runs good with the choke warms up nicely take the choke off idols nicely take off down my driveway down my street everything's fine get to the highway sometimes even before the highway it feels like it's running out of gas like all have the throttle rolled on but it's like it's dying then all of a sudden it just gets its power back sometimes it'll keep sputtering like that sometimes it'll happen just once or twice it's so bizarre hoping and praying one of you have an answer?!!!!?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
if they are both dry with a light tan appearance, properly gapped and a good electrode, I would judge them to be ok. Were the intake boot orings replaced at the same time?
Definitely more black then tan they are gapped correct and yes they were replaced

·
Registered
975 Posts
Lesblank and Jspree are the carb experts. I will say I had a similar problem after tearing mine down to adjust the valve tappets. After checking, I found one side of the inlet air box had apparently slipped off the rear carb intake and I failed to catch it when I tightened the clamps. Re-seated it and problem was fixed. You might check yours... good luck. I'm sure the guys here will help you sort it out.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts