Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
"Not any longer....I got my bike last May/2018,...and Yamaha still hasn't released a major feature set upgrade (or even minor, since last March/18) download, or even updated MAPS for gawd's sake....nothing...no longer sitting around chanting 'Koom-by-yah'...and shaking my prayer rattle..."..... Got into action mode...the 2019 season is coming up...and Charlotte is going to have proper and feature rich navigation on-board!"

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just ordered this beast...a Garmin Drive 61 LMT-S monster display 7 inch capacity touch screen...with:

Free Lifetime Map and POI updates as well as Traffic :) (L)ifetime (M)ap (T)raffic. If Yamaha EVER has new maps etc, on their Map Update site...you will have to pay for the pleasure....for any of it.

Suction Cup mount for inner side of the SVTC windshield, and just to show how well decked out the SVTC is...it already has the cigarette lighter DC voltage port for the Garmin to plug into..and on the proper side of the Garmin when attached to the windshield

For rainy days...just a long length baggie, (or a single wrap of Saran Wrap (tm), since the Driver 61 LMT-S screen is touch capacitance, or activated by voice command for all menu features! Any rain-shield you come up with, won't affect user access (finger or voice) :)

Can't wait for Spring.....and I FINALLY, now have a navigation system by voice, or touch, that will perfectly compliment the SVTC on Tour!

https://www8.garmin.com/manuals/webhelp/drive51-61/EN-US/GUID-9A7D62B2-52C3-4247-9B8B-FB607E7F692A-homepage.html

"Charlotte, you are getting a new toy, oh....,and happy birthday, coming up this May!...."....:grin::nerd:

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
The 'feature' power of the 2018/20 Yamaha Star Venture Transcontinental...
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

When does the feature set you pay for...make even a better case for ownership...
The answer, is when you use the features, leverage the features...

Case in point:

The Garmin Zumo 595LM at $899.99 CDN. (MSRP) (this post, is with Canadian prices, as I live and purchase with Canadian earned $$$'s)
https://buy.garmin.com/en-CA/CA/p/536397

compared to the:

Garmin Drive (tm) 61 LMT-S at $259.99 CDN
https://buy.garmin.com/en-CA/CA/p/551976

Brief overview of the Garmin Zumo595LM....

Is purpose built, for running on any motorcycle, from a rumbling and shaking (at idle, and perhaps above) large bore, V-Twin, (Harley, Vision, Indian, Polaris) operational environment, to the smooth and 99 % vibration free running on the handlebars of such as a GL1800 Goldwing. It is also out of the package water resistant. It has a just under 5 inch (4.9 inch) diagonal display.

*It has BlueTooth connectivity (such as music and the ability to send voice instructions through your Bluetooth headset, if your helmet is equipped with one. Has a mic and can be hard wired as well into your motorcycle communication, IF...your bike has such features. So for bikes like Sport Tours, Sport, older models, this adds feature-set to your ride. It is also short of $900.00 MSRP. You can hunt around and get at a lower price, on sale, etc...but I need apples-to-apples for this post...so only am referencing MSRP for continuity....

Brief overview of the Garmin Drive(tm) 61 LMT-S:

*It also has BlueTooth connectivity. Will take touch-upon-screen, or VOICE COMMANDS (as it intelligently listens for such...you need not press a button before you state the Command Phrase to engage the Voice Command function) It can also route voice commands to your helmet headset speakers, via BlueTooth link with such. It also can play music, through BlueTooth connectivity through your Smart Phone link up.
*It has a bright 7 (6.9 inch) inch diagonally view screen, set in glass for dynamic color and reflection free viewing. Has a quick connect suction-type mount, or you can buy any number of after-market mounts in different styles for the unit, such as one that resembles the mount for dedicated Zumo installations.

*It is **NOT water resistant out of the packaging**, as it was designed to be used inside a motor vehicle environment. You would need to create your own water protection (such as using a baggy, or merely carry a roll of Saran Wrap, and cover the entire unit in a sheet of that...works beautifully for that purpose! Also, needs protection from dust and grime....saran wrap works again, beautifully for that purpose, and has a MRSP price of $259.99

In comparing a purpose-built Garmin Zumo (tm) to running with a non-purpose built (needs weather/element protection when mounted) is:

$900 CDN minus $260.00 CDN for a owner savings of: $640.00 CDN. A huge savings comparing the two units...

Can one use the Garmin 61 LMT-S on, or in a boat, motorcycle, or car/van/truck? Yes...if one makes sure that in any open-to-weather environment, one protects the unit from dust and/or water.

I decided to go with the larger and brighter screen Garmin Drive 61 LMT-S, for easier reading, and touch usage, as well as the ability to use it in my car, on my boat, and of course upon my SVTC. Also, a savings out-of-pocket of $640.00, is a factor...there's the cost of a major coast to coast tour, to fuel the SVTC!

The following statement is important to this post...in comparing the two units, their feature sets, and their cost to own:

You DO, have the option to enjoy all the features of the Garmin 61 LMT-S, if running with a Yamaha Star Venture T.C. model...in that your motorcycle has built in- BlueTooth capabilities...that will allow you to interact, and hear voice commands through your hard-wired helmet speakers, for BOTH the rider and co-rider. Same for music, etc. What ever you can listen to with your smart phone, you can also leverage with the 61 LMT-S. It has Wireless connectivity as well, so you can take it into a Tim Horton's for example and download maps, update, for free, while upon tour...or specific area or operation. It has a one hour built in lithium battery, that charges when you are connected to your D.C. plug in, on the left side of the bike faring. Since the Yamaha Star Venture (as a large V-Twin 113 C.I.) does NOT shake the handlebars at idle, or passes operational vibration from the handlebars and the frame of the bike, while at any speed, this non-dedicated, non built for purpose Garmin Navigation solution is an option. I ***DO NOT*** recommend this option, for any other V-Twin, whether it be Yamaha, Harley, Vision,Polaris, or Indian...as they will have shake and shudder in operation at idle and beyond, and the Garmin Drive 61 LMT-S is not purpose built for that operational environment.

The 2018 and 20 Yamaha Star Venture and Eluder, has vibration abatement technology, that works as intended. No shake at idle. No vibration that will impact the operation of the 61 LMT-S at any speed off of idle.

So, fellow forum members....I am posting that you have the option of use...because of your bike's built in connectivity (SVTC)...as well as the smooth operation of the motorcycle itself.

Final comment...besides saving massive money, here...having a brighter screen, that is two inches larger....you only need to protect the unit, while upon your motorcycle, or boat (unless inside a cabin)...and you are good to go. Buy a roll of Saran Wrap, or a box of large baggies with a twist tie...and you are good to go. The Yamaha Star Venture's feature set, and smooth ride...gives you options...if you wish to leverage them....

Cheers, and happy Garmin Navigation...oh...as well as LIFETIME FREE MAP UPDATES, including Traffic! (both with the Zumo and Drive series). :)

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Tony...(Chief), you need to clear out space from your Message Box...the following reply would not post to your box...

In answer to you, about can you lower your windshield, yes..you can.

1. Lower your windshield to the fully lower position. Then attach suction-cup mount, 1/4 inch above the top frame of the faring. Then...raise or lower to your pleasure. Also, you don't even need to place it on the windshield. You can suck cup to a place ON the top of the faring shroud, where one area is better than another, or...just create a Plexiglas square on a normal handlebar mount, like the Zumo already has...you can buy one...or after-market...and then suction mount to the flat Plexiglas surface...in otherwords, any number of options to mount to the bike. It doesn't need to be **JUST** on the inside of the windshield. That is where I am going to start with...and in usage, will keep it there, or move it around to a position that I like better. Total free options for the user! If I want to mount with any other kind of mount that holds the '61 secure, I will follow that course. End game, though..I have gone 'Garmin'! Tired of waiting on Yamaha, that does NOT communicate with you...to let you know WHAT is, or WHAT IS NOT, happening. Tired of it...

Tony...the cost-effective/feature set of the Garmin 61 LMT-S is killer! Just make sure, you take the time to weather-proof the unit for dust/grime/water drops...(saran warp/baggies) and you are good to go! Take it out on a boat (in cabin)...or put it into your car, if the feature set outperforms what is resident. No need to weather proof in that usage! :)

Can't wait...Garmin KILLS IT, for feature sets in the software, and for interaction usage and connectivity. Just kills it! I'm done with waiting....I bought a bike to tour with...and expected more from the built-in navigation system. The Garmin 61 LMT-S, or any Zumo (tm) corrects all that....
Even CruiserMan, of Goldwing fame...has given up on the 2018's H.K. built in nav system...and he himself just mounted a Zumo 595LM unit to bypass it. He got fed up too, with waiting for better written software (features, more ample waypoint counts for routing) from Harman-Kardon, and then passed on by Honda and Yamaha as their clients, ------>as in download updates to the owners of each manufacturer's bike. He has a YouTube video about that...

Cheers,

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Chief...free up room in your Message Box....one can't post anymore messages to it, until you do...the site system tells a user that...

Cheers,

Joe

·
Registered
37 Posts
I had a Garmin 665 on my 2014 Stratoliner Deluxe. Loved it and could make my own routes on Base Camp on my computer and then download them

1 - 6 of 6 Posts