Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a '99 V-Star 650 with single front disc, and the brake lever has a notch before it engages. This leads to gently squeezing the lever and having it then pull "over" the notch and the front brake grabs harder than expected. My dad suggested that this could be due to air in the line and that I should try bleeding it.

Before I put myself through that, I figured I'd check with you folks and see if you agree. Dad has owned and worked on a ton of bikes over the years, but nothing recently, and no V-Stars.

·
Registered
105 Posts
No air, but it seems like you need to remove the hinge bolt, and grease it. While you are doing that, do your clutch one also. A little oil in the clutch cable will go a long way also.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No air, but it seems like you need to remove the hinge bolt, and grease it. While you are doing that, do your clutch one also. A little oil in the clutch cable will go a long way also.
I will check all of that tomorrow after work. If it's as easy as a dab of grease, that'd be great.

Speaking of the clutch, any guides on properly adjusting it? I don't have any owner's manuals, and it seems to me that mine is... not right.

·
Registered
105 Posts
After you grease the hinge bolt, and oil the cable, set the round adjuster lock loose, and adjust to give the lever about 1/8" of free play. Tighten the round lock nut. and you are done.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts