Yamaha Starbike Forum banner
21 - 40 of 55 Posts

·
Premium Member
08 Road Star 1700
1,481 Posts
I just checked mine with a db meter on my phone. At Idle at about 10 feet I get about 84 DB. As a comparison my bird can hit 140 DB. My bike has Cobra Long Shots with the stock baffle in right now. I will check the quiet core when I put them in.

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
it is going to be interesting as sound level decreases with distance ( a train whistle at 50 ft is louder than the same whistle at 500 ft.) Good luck with the quiet core but note the law states that exhausts with removable/replaceable baffles are also illegal. So it might come down to.the luck of the draw with the inspector you get.

·
Premium Member
2014 statoliner deluxe
190 Posts
Typical government. The feds are running the country into the dirt, and they're worried about a couple snowflakes with sensitive hearing. What a friggin world we live in! :rolleyes:
Well,,in myrtle Beach south Carolina it's the weekend warriors that ruin it for the rest of us 2am roaring through housing tracks and reved up motorcycles scaring elderly people just for a laugh..so cops and all law enforcement have had enough. BTW it's the start of bike week here..cops are not playing around this year..I to have custom exhaust cobra straight shots with baffles still loud as heck but I don't advertise it I just enjoy the ride around the beach 😉 if you want trouble you will find it here..cops call it easy rider weekend a lot of show bikes here now, with out any trouble..a real joy to see be safe and enjoy our hospitality and miles of beach ⛱ want to meet a cop try walking up and say hi ,want them to come to you it's expensive and possibly a impound fee..

·
Premium Member
08 Road Star 1700
1,481 Posts
I talked to both the auto inspector and the shop that does my bike. Auto inspector doesn't know how it is going to play out. Bike inspector has had to turn people away. Telling them to put the stock on and change back after the inspection. It is what he is doing on his own bike. His liability ends when you leave the shop. I am glad I kept the stock one. I contacted Vance and Hinds to get a map with the Big Air and the stock exhaust.

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
I'm thinking there are going to be a lot of surprised, unhappy NYS bikers soon and uninspected bikes on the highways. It will be interesting to see if LEO's start playing a larger role in enforcement and if a loud bike gets you pulled over.

·
Registered
28 Posts
it is going to be interesting as sound level decreases with distance ( a train whistle at 50 ft is louder than the same whistle at 500 ft.) Good luck with the quiet core but note the law states that exhausts with removable/replaceable baffles are also illegal. So it might come down to.the luck of the draw with the inspector you get.
stuff a bunch of fiberglass in the pipes and remove after inspection? still, sucks because you have two beers and get pulled over for a loud exhaust.. so dumb

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
My next door neighbor has a Roadstar with aftermarket pipes as purchased used. He was told last week that his bike wont pass inspection and he is now trying to buy baffles. The inspectors have gotten the message!

·
Registered
28 Posts
This is so dumb. So they want everything you buy to be only from a mega conglomerate corporation? **** small business? These guys are insane, I would move. So happy to be in Wisconsin. We would never do this crap.

·
Registered
957 Posts
So do they inspect if you still have AIS on your bike also?
I am glad we don't have to deal with that here.
No way they can enforce it either.
The bikes here with loud pipes are usually respectful in the neighborhoods and don't rev them up including myself.
I just finished a stage 1 upgrade on my Harley.
Bassani 2x2 crossover headpipes and Cobra neighbor haters.
Nice and mellow tone idling or low speed but when you get on it, neighbors are hatin'.

·
Premium Member
08 Road Star 1700
1,481 Posts
So do they inspect if you still have AIS on your biked also.
I am glad we don't have to deal with that here.
No way they can enforce it either.
The bikes here with loud pipes are usually respectful in the neighborhoods and don't rev them up including myself.
I just finished a stage 1 upgrade on my Harley.
Bassani 2x2 crossover headpipes and Cobra neighbor haters.
Nice and mellow tone idling or low speed but when you get on it, neighbors are hatin'.
as far as I know they are not doing emissions test yet. They are just looking for noise. This crap just started so we will see how it plays out. I have Cobra long shots and quiet core baffle in them, I am just taking it off for inspection and putting it right back on.

·
Registered
957 Posts
as far as I know they are not doing emissions test yet. They are just looking for noise. This crap just started so we will see how it plays out. I have Cobra long shots and quiet core baffle in them, I am just taking it off for inspection and putting it right back on.
What a pain in the ass.
I had those same pipes on my old roadstar 1700 also. They sound good.
Maybe you can pull baffles and wrap the hell out of them to make them quieter just to pass inspection?

Had vance and hines on my heritage harley and those were so harsh and loud, I had to put those wrapped quiet baffles in them. Made a huge difference.

21 - 40 of 55 Posts