Yamaha Starbike Forum banner
41 - 56 of 56 Posts

·
Administrator - "Loose Nut" - Bandera, Texas
2001 Vstar 1100 Classic (sold), 2006 HD Electra Glide Ultra (totaled) 2006 Vulcan 900 (current)
14,158 Posts
Rectangle Font Number Paper product Paper

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 · (Edited)
My reading of the law is that it is NOT just sound level. The inspector is required to visually inspect the pipes- straight pipes or pipes with removable baffles wont pass. Removable baffles may be the tricky part and likely subjective based on the inspector.

·
Registered
966 Posts
My reading of the law is that it is NOT just sound level. The inspector is required to visually inspect the pipes- straight pipes or pioes with removable baffles wont pass. Removable baffles may be the tricky part and likely subjective based on the inspector.
What a crock.
How often are these inspections?

·
Premium Member
08 Road Star 1700
1,559 Posts
I thought about getting some stainless steel mesh and wrapping mine but the wording suggests has to be stock or equal to original. What ever that means I don't know. Looks? sound? emissions? pretty vague I think.

·
Premium Member
2008 Yamaha Road Star Silverado (Gray, hard bags, etc.)
1,184 Posts
I thought about getting some stainless steel mesh and wrapping mine but the wording suggests has to be stock or equal to original. What ever that means I don't know. Looks? sound? emissions? pretty vague I think.
That was my thought too. To me it didn't mean you couldn't have aftermarket, but that notice didn't really spell out what "equivalent" meant. Maybe in the lawyer gibberish law filing itself it's mentioned.....

·
Registered
966 Posts
I still would just pack them down as quiet as you can get and take it in.
I am sure the inspectors are stupid enough not to even notice.
It's New York after all, the state is run by stupid people.

·
Registered
228 Posts
The wording of "or equivalent" does seem pretty vague and ambiguous. I did dig around a little and at first glance it seems this is the City running the state, as often does it seems. It seems to be going under the name of the SLEEP Act and is aimed at reducing noise pollution because the WHO has labelled it is an "underestimated threat" per the bills write up. Fines for noise go from $150 to $1000 and or up to 30 days in jail. I didn't see in the write up a specific decibal level, but more troubling I saw that it was the buy/sell/istall of any muffler or exhaust that would amply an engine noise, or the modifying of stock exhaust to amplify the sound. They did call out straight pipes and removing internal baffles. Interestingly, the pilot program that uses a traffic camera with a mic on it in NYC and the SLEEP Act don't seem to care about loud stereo systems blasting away.
Here are the articles I pulled the info from.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Yeah, California has made it difficult to impossible to get aftermarket motorcycle exhausts shipped into state. Everyone has to buy them from individuals or eBay to get them into state. Otherwise, ship them to a neighboring state and then go get them.

We're also apparently going to pilot the volume cameras in 6 cities around the state.

Just glad I held on to my stock pipe. Recently installed it because my own pipes were starting to get on my nerves, but after riding around with my quiet pipes and almost getting hit a bunch of times, might be swapping back real soon.

·
Registered
1982 XV1100,1989 XT600Z Tenere, 2008 F800ST
1,964 Posts
Just glad I held on to my stock pipe. Recently installed it because my own pipes were starting to get on my nerves, but after riding around with my quiet pipes and almost getting hit a bunch of times, might be swapping back real soon.
Or maybe look into how you ride :unsure:;)

·
Administrator - "Loose Nut" - Bandera, Texas
2001 Vstar 1100 Classic (sold), 2006 HD Electra Glide Ultra (totaled) 2006 Vulcan 900 (current)
14,158 Posts
Maybe I should start a rent an exhaust business. For a fee, I mail you stock exhaust, you have them for two weeks and then mail them to my next customer. If you don't mail back you get charged for full price of replacement. I'd better start hitting the salvage yards.

·
Premium Member
08 Road Star 1700
1,559 Posts
I got a new map from Vance Hinds for the Big Air and the stock exhaust. So come inspection time I will switch out the pipes. It usually takes them about 3 or 4 days to get back to me with a new one if I make changes.

41 - 56 of 56 Posts