Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On our long ride yesterday we all were talking about bikes, models and how many miles they were good for when it occurred to me....in 4 months I've put on more miles than originally on it when I purchased it.

This seems odd

How can I check odometer to see if anyone has tampered with it or is there a way ? or should I just RIDE and not want to know the truth at this point

·
Super Moderator
4,608 Posts
There are many bikes out there that were bought by someone who thought they wanted a motorcycle but never really rode after purchase. Most were bought, road a bit, then put in a corner. Many here have bought extremely low mileage bikes from original owners. When I bought my 2001 Vstar 1100 in 2013 it had 1700 miles on it. Low miles doesn't always mean a good deal. Usually regular maintenance has not done and create issues for new owners. If you are happy with your bike then don't worry about mileage except as a guide as to when to do next maintenance. By the way, did you check date code on tires? If tires are over 5 years old replace for your safety. Ride often and safe.

·
Registered
251 Posts
What makes you think the mileage has been rolled back? Is it just due to the low miles or something in addition? What is the year of your bike and mileage at purchase. There are a number of low mileage bikes out there. Lots of guys buy bikes then realize they aren't into riding. This was extremely prevalent about 10-15 years ago during the chopper craze. Tons of RUBs bought bikes because of the cool factor and only rode them on the occasional weekend and only short distances to the nearest hangout. It still happens today...just not as many. Once the cool factor wears off or they realize they aren't into riding, they sell.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
There are many bikes out there that were bought by someone who thought they wanted a motorcycle but never really rode after purchase. Most were bought, road a bit, then put in a corner. Many here have bought extremely low mileage bikes from original owners. When I bought my 2001 Vstar 1100 in 2013 it had 1700 miles on it. Low miles doesn't always mean a good deal. Usually regular maintenance has not done and create issues for new owners. If you are happy with your bike then don't worry about mileage except as a guide as to when to do next maintenance. By the way, did you check date code on tires? If tires are over 5 years old replace for your safety. Ride often and safe.

I have no real reason to doubt or suspect it, runs great and everything seller told me added up once at his house. I've done some upgrades and never found anything that pointed out that work had been done previously

That's what I was originally thinking during purchase, probably just didn't take to it or got scared.

AF - 2002 Vstar 1100 4700 miles, shows one owner

I replaced the tires after I put on the first 500 miles as a safety precaution

You Gents are probably right

·
Registered
447 Posts
The 2012 950 I got had 3700 miles on it. He had to stop riding it due to a back injury. Anything longer than a few minutes and it was just outright painful for him. He kept it for a few years, still maintained it, hoping his back would get better, but hasn't.

the 2009 crf230l I got at 3980 had some neglect (jets where all wrong, chain not lubed/stuck), but it mainly has low miles due to being a to/from work bike, and was only a few miles each day.
I have been all over this bike, and I cannot find anything else bad with it.

·
Registered
5,436 Posts
if someone is going to roll the odo back, they are going to wind it back from something like 80k miles to 20k miles.

You could easily tell if your bike had been used more than 20 or 40 or 60 k miles.

The Royal Star I bought last sept was owned by a guy who got it ten years ago with 22k miles on it, and he only rode it 2000 miles in ten years.

I put another 1000 on the odo within a month after buying it.

With less than 10k on your bike when you got it, it probably still had the original tires on it - you could tell from the date code if you had looked at them. The rear tire only lasts about 10 to 12k miles, so if your rear tire looked like new, it had been replaced because it was getting dry rot.

I agree with other posts, there are a LOT of people who buy cruiser bikes with a head full of being a rugged individual lone rider on the great american motorcycle road trip, and find out their hands and butt get numb after 100 miles in one ride, or they dont take a good MSF course and they scare the hell out themselves because they dont know how to counter steer, and they hardly ride the bike at all... then sell it years later.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts