Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm planning to ride my 2012 V*950T to Key West in late September - returning early October. (I'm not new to long trips - did 6000+ miles a couple of years back in 16 days when I was only 74 y/o).

So what should I avoid in Florida? Areas/highways to avoid?

What areas/events do you recommend seeing/doing?

SWMBO will be in the car - we'll have CB communications.

Dave

·
Registered
5,369 Posts
I lived in WP Beach in the late '70s for 2 years.

One thing I can tell you, the gulf stream on the east coast, and the thermal breeze on the west coast keep the area near the shore line a very nice 70 to 80° all year round. At the same time Orlando can be 100°.

Sept is the start of the cooler days, but I would still recommend you hug one coast or the other, and I would go with the east (ocean) side: Daytona, NASA, Jupiter, WP Beach, Miami...

Even just 3 to 5 miles inland the temp can be 20 degrees higher. That is why "beach front" property is so desirable.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Well...

Avoid on what basis?

For example, I might say "avoid I-95" because long flat straight interstates bore me and florida drivers scare the bejeebers out of me.

Or I might say "avoid Orlando" because the whole Disney thing does nothing for me and I hate crowds.

Frankly, if I were making the ride, I'd be focused on getting down to the Keys as soon as possible and spend most of my trip there.

But if you give a little more info on what you want / don't want / are looking for out of the trip, I did live there for quite a while and can give you some better info.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
caseyjones and KWC -

Thanks for the responses. Looking to avoid really bad/dangerous traffic stuff going & coming. Plan is to get to Key West as quickly as possible - so I reckon that will take me down the cooler east coast/I95. We don't plan any sightseeing between here and Key West. Long flat interstates will have to be the way to get there -avoiding the higher temps inland. (It was 104+ when I rolled into Redding CA a couple of years back.)

Dave

·
Registered
609 Posts
caseyjones and KWC -

Thanks for the responses. Looking to avoid really bad/dangerous traffic stuff going & coming. Plan is to get to Key West as quickly as possible - so I reckon that will take me down the cooler east coast/I95. We don't plan any sightseeing between here and Key West. Long flat interstates will have to be the way to get there -avoiding the higher temps inland. (It was 104+ when I rolled into Redding CA a couple of years back.)

Dave
Well, if you're coming down 77 & 64 to get to 95, which seems likely, that is at least a fairly scenic ride much of the way and temps should be moderate that time of year.

I've also ridden down 75 / 40 / 26 (if you're far-west ohio) and that's also 'nice' so far as interstates go. If so, Asheville is a nice stopover point (maybe take an afternoon to see the Vanderbilt Mansion)

Once on the coast/95 Savannah is a lovely city to overnight/pause. We usually stop there since Savannah -> Keys is about the max distance we like to do in a day.

Maybe take an hour or two break from interstate at Daytona and go ride on the beach, just for the experience of it.

In KW, one of my must-do's every trip is eat Cuban Food at El Siboney.

·
Super Moderator
4,476 Posts
Sounds like a great ride. Make sure to post pictures and full details.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts