Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

oil and filter change vstar 950 cc

1K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  bevo1981 
the U.S. manual calls for 4 quarts = 3.7 liters. so if you put in 4 liters, that's a little above the U.S. manual recommendation of 4 quarts. that could explain it. and are you making sure to check the dipstick with the bike as level as possible? even if you are just a tad over it should be OK so i wouldn't worry about it.

someone should have checked my work, i was going based on how i've been changing the oil on my '09 950 since always. here's the actual owner's manual with specified amounts for both with and without replacing the filter during an oil change. i just always replace the filter and i always put in 4 quarts and it works fine:

3.7L or 3.91U.S. quarts without filter replacement
4.0L or 4.23U.S. quarts with filter replacement

you were actually putting in the correct amount. so if you're reading the dipstick with the bike as level as possible and it's reading high, i would make sure you're running your bike for a few minutes to heat up that oil before you drain it. maybe you're not draining it all out before you add more. but again, such a small amount is not going to hurt anything.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.