Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

New to the biking world and to my 2001 Road Star. Looking to do some fluid and filter changes so it is up to par and ready for this years riding.

What kind of oil, oil filter, and transmission fluid is everyone running?

I have heard some people like Amsoil of course for engine oil, also some people say just run Rotella (but wasn't sure if it was good for the wet clutches and stuff). Where is the best place to buy filters and any brands better than others?

No idea what kind of fluid needs to be run in the transmission, so help there is appreciated?

Anything else I should know please fill me in. Just want to make sure it is all set for this season since I don't know the full history, but it is a nice well maintained low mileage bike. Just feels better knowing its all new and fresh.

Thanks in advance...

·
Registered
85 Posts
I just changed mine last week . I put in Valvoline 20w-50 motorcycle oil conventional not synthetic . I changed my gear oil at the first oil change to Royal Purple .

·
Premium Member
909 Posts
I like 4T synthetic in 20w-50 in my roadie. Nothing but the best for my girl (Why are oil and tires for a bike so much more than for a car...it just doesn't make sense)

·
Registered
570 Posts
Rotella 5W-40 and 15W-40 both meet JASO-MA standards, a motorcycle specific standard - meaning theyre both good to go.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all the feedback, I think I will probably go with Mobil 1 for V Twins since I trust Mobil 1 in all my sports cars and its usually good stuff for the $$...

I am still unsure what to look for in gear oil though for the transfer case, I know I need 80w90 but what should I look for other than that? I heard I need to find GL-4 but GL-5 wont work as a replacement...there are very few brands that I can find that show GL-4 on them? Any certain brand or type that will for sure work and I can buy in store?

·
Registered
421 Posts
I can't but wonder why the big deal about "V-Twin" oil. Just how is a V-twin different from any equivalent pair of cylinders in a V-6 or a V-8? For that matter, in the long run all twins are V-twins. A parallel twin is a V with an included angle of zero; and an opposed twin is a V with an included angle of 180. My lawn tractor (AKA riding mower) has a 90 degree V-twin; probably works harder for longer than any motorcycle engine, and calls for a straight SAE 30 oil in summer. I repeat - what is so special about a V-twin?

·
Registered
291 Posts
I can't but wonder why the big deal about "V-Twin" oil. Just how is a V-twin different from any equivalent pair of cylinders in a V-6 or a V-8? For that matter, in the long run all twins are V-twins. A parallel twin is a V with an included angle of zero; and an opposed twin is a V with an included angle of 180. My lawn tractor (AKA riding mower) has a 90 degree V-twin; probably works harder for longer than any motorcycle engine, and calls for a straight SAE 30 oil in summer. I repeat - what is so special about a V-twin?

Costs about the same as any other full synthetic 20w-50 oil. So really no big deal.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Personally if it's labeled "v-twin" or "motorcycle" oil you know it's safe for your tranny. That and being able to price it a little higher is the only reason I can thing of.
Just like anything purchased for a boat.

There probably is no real difference in the oils. Maybe a difference in a lab but nothing we ordinary users could ever see.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

·
Registered
30 Posts
I have been using Mercury Marine ATV & Motorcycle 4 cycle oil in the gallon jugs from Walmart with good results. I also buy a Bosch 3300 filter for it there too. Everything runs fine with it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts