Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,

I was helping a buddy change the oil in his 950. We noticed a little bolt behind the oil filter which at first we thought was the drain plug. We pulled the plug and only about 1/2 quart of oil came out. We then noticed the main plug, pulled it, and drained the rest of the oil.

Our concern is the front bolt we pulled. Is this an overflow from the filter? is there somewhere else we need to add oil? or will this spot fill on it's own?

Forgive my ignorance, we just don't want to F-up his bike because we had a dumb moment.

·
Registered
418 Posts
The Clymer manual says "Do not remove the 12-mm hex head bolts located near the oil drain bolt. The oil drain bolt has a 17-mm hex head."

I doubt if you did any damage but, I would ensure that the 12-mm bolt is tightened with a torque wrench. I don't know the torque value or which bolt you removed.

It also recommends a new oil plug gasket (crush washer) on the drain plug at each oil change. The drain plug torque is stated as 32 ft lb.

Augie

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
All that came out was oil, Think that will cause any problems? or is it maybe just an over flow for the filter?

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
1 - 6 of 6 Posts