Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi, First of all all of this crap was MY fault.

Went to change oil on my 06 Liner and was reading when working from the backside turn the plug clockwise to loosen ...WRONG
It's still righty tighty lefty loosey no matter WHAT (I read too much on net and you know what happens when we do THAT...THIS!

So the oil hole is stripped. At any rate the bottom rear crankcase bolt is only an inch or so from the frame so no heli or sert is possible without unbolting the entire motor and elevating it...very expensive.

I got a 1 oversize drain plug and proceeded to screw it in...it works good. tightens snugly just perfectly as it should. (Of course I worked it back and forth and unscrewed it and drained 2 crankcase changes of cheap oil in it so most of the steel shavings are out, as well as they can be)

NOW THE PROBLEM AS I SEE IT...is when I threaded that plug in, I must have gotten it off just a hair so it leaves a small gap on one side that isn't quite sealing. I know I cant just keep trying to tighten it as that will strip it out yet AGAIN. I have used an aluminum washer, and a copper crush washer but will still weep.

I am going to try a washer with a rubber insert and if THAT doesn't work I see no way of sealing this other than the Permatex RED Hi heat gasket maker stuff.

I REALLY dont want to go that route, DO ANY OF YOU GUYS HAVE ANOTHER IDEA FOR ME? I already wore out one boot from kicking myself in the arse and lesson learned but now have to deal with this. I don;t want to clean the area up after each ride...HELP!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Idk man, if you can fit a wrench in there can't you re-thread it? I don't think rubber is gonna do it cause once it heats up its gonna expand. I'm sure a shop has dealt with this before and trial and error seems to be a lot more expensive than a shop. I'd say call around and tell them your situation, blame it on the last owner and who knows, they may feel sorry for you and hook you up. You don't want to ruin that crankcase!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
Education always comes at a price, no matter what you do. There are 2 ways to go here...

1.) Take your lumps and fix it the right way. That way you never have to worry about it again and you know it is 100% correct and you'll never worry about it again.

2.) Cobble it together and worry every time you ride that at some point enough oil will suddenly start to leak out to cause the oi light to come on in the middle of nowhere...or worse...cause engine damage.

I know which direction I'd head....

·
Registered
203 Posts
Also gotta think ne oil it would leak could get picked up by the rear tire in which case engine damage could be the least of ur worries. I'd take it as an expensive lesson learned and take the course necessary to repair it properly.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts