Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anyone know the part number(s) for the crankcase oil drain plug & or the oil tank drain plug. also spare keys? Is a dealer or Yamaha the only place to get extra keys made for the ignition on this thing or has someone found a different way?.

·
Registered
342 Posts
The crankcase drain plug and the oil tank drain plug are the same. You can pick them up at any auto parts store. Size is 14mm, 1.5 thread pitch. Any locksmith shop should have the right key blank to make extra keys. If I remember right, I think the keys use the same blank as some Nissan cars.

·
Registered
342 Posts
$50 for a key is stupid crazy. :mad: I have also seen blank keys on ebay selling for about $5 each. If you can't find one locally, that is an option but you still need to find someone to cut the key for you.

·
Registered
845 Posts
anyone know the part number(s) for the crankcase oil drain plug & or the oil tank drain plug. ...QUOTE]

Can I suggest, since you need a drain plug why not get a magnetic one? A magnetic drain plug filters iron and heavy metals far better then any filter can. Down to an absolute 0 microns, lasts forever and just wipe it off with a rag when you chance your oil.

You can buy one for your bike at goldplug.com
These are really powerful magnetic plugs.

·
Registered
12 Posts
anyone know the part number(s) for the crankcase oil drain plug & or the oil tank drain plug. also spare keys? Is a dealer or Yamaha the only place to get extra keys made for the ignition on this thing or has someone found a different way?.
I had two ignition keys made up last week at my local lock smith shop, cost me about $8...

·
Registered
867 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Berg, thanks... I had a couple of keys made from that blank number and they work just fine. $5.00 ea.

·
Registered
845 Posts
I have a goldplug. Just did my first oil change since I initially installed it. There was almost nothing on it. I guess that's good...
Wow, lucky you, photos do help!, Did you have a gray coating on it?
This is what mine looked like years ago after I first put mine in and ran the bike 1700 miles and changed the oil.
If you look close you can see shards of metal. Bike had roughly 7000 miles on it at the time (cant remember)
But now, I get just a light coating on the magnet, I also get a light coating in my SUV where I also use a magnetic plug.
Im sure many know, a certain percentage of high end cars come from the factory with them and in their differentials and almost every marine engine drive does as well.
That light coating is all the fine stuff your oil filter can not filter.

Here you go ... http://share.shutterfly.com/view/flashShareSlideshow.jsp?sid=8AYt27NuzbN20i

1 - 13 of 13 Posts