Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I checked the oil level on my Raider. It was halfway between the top and bottom fill level. I assumed it should be more near the top so I added a few ounces and is now a couple hash marks below top mark on dipstick. Now I'm reading about over filling. What is the dead center proper oil level? Thanks.

·
Registered
909 Posts
IMO just as long as you keep it between the top and lower lines you're good to go... I wouldn't overthink it too much... works on my machine (that's a nerdy quip for Elk).

·
Registered
317 Posts
Doesn't the Raider have a dry oil sump like the Road Stars because checking oil and such is different from conventional oil sumps.

The conventional oil sumps that we see in most cars and many motorcycles and vehicles is called a wet sump. This means there is a oil collection pan at the bottom of the engine where all the oil drains to and that is where the oil pump is located.

Dry sump systems do not have an oil collection pan, they have an oil tank is located somewhere else near the engine. Oil pumps pump oil from the tank to the engine and additional oil pumps pump the oil back to the tank. These pumps are known as scavenging pumps. This means that when the oil is cold, the oil level will be low due to oil in the oil tank leaking into the engine. This is the opposite of what we see in a wet sump. In a wet sump we see the oil level higher when cold due to that is where all the oil drains to. In a dry sump system when cold, the oil drains out of the oil tank.

In most dry sump systems the oil level is checked when the engine is warm so that the oil tank has been re-filled by the scavenging pumps. That is why many of these oil systems tend to be overfilled because they are checked cold and will always read low.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'll have to check the manual on that but I checked the oil after putting a few miles on then waited a bit for it to settle before checking oil level. It was at halfway point on dip stick. I added a couple of ounces and the level is now a couple of notches below top. I called my shop and the mechanic said anywhere between half and full is good. I've put more miles in with no issues. (Aside from getting caught in a blinding rainstorm at midnight)

·
Registered
5,650 Posts
is your avatar Professor Elvin from Impossible Mission?

I spent way too many hours finishing that game on a Commodore 64, back in 1988...

·
Registered
71 Posts
You HAVE to be a mad scientist to live with the hassle of checking Raider oil level! According to my understanding you have to:

• Go for a ride at least 15 minutes to warm up the oil
  • Stop on a level surface and just IDLE for about a minute, keep the bike upright (remain seated on it)
  • Turn off engine, place bike on sidestand, and remove the seat, and take out the dipstick
  • Now hold the bike LEVEL, stick the cleaned dipstick back in the hole take it out & check the level
Whew!

After doing that a couple of times I now just pop off the dipstick & LOOK into the hole. If the oil level appears "about right" I'm happy :grin:

·
Registered
812 Posts
I checked the oil level on my Raider. It was halfway between the top and bottom fill level. I assumed it should be more near the top so I added a few ounces and is now a couple hash marks below top mark on dipstick. Now I'm reading about over filling. What is the dead center proper oil level? Thanks.
On my Star Venture T.C., at my 600 mile service, my dealer said that they only put in enough oil, to sit halfway up from the lower hash mark. They said that anything higher, and you can have oil leaks, and blow back. So...I guess you are good to go.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts