Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Yes, I know this is an old subject and I've read a bunch on here and the more I read the more I get confused on what to do. Here I go and open pandora's box again.

I put 850 miles on my bike 2010 Stratoliner S the first three days bringing it back from NC. My Girlfriend and I experianced a Great 3 Day ride From NC > VA > PA > NY. What a great way to break-in a New bike.

I decided to run standard oil and had the Stealer ( Dealer ) do my first change and run through bike.

I know have 2500 miles on the bike and getting ready to do the Second oil change. I'm in NY and the Dealer put in 20w 50 oil.

Here are my questions.

1. Should I switch to a lighter oil in NY. Soon the temps will be 20deg - maybe high 70deg for winter months. Then back to 20w 50 for the 90 - 100deg summer months.

2. OIL > Amsoil motorcycle / Brad Penn V2 20w 50 Motorcycle / Valvoline V2 Motorcycle 20w 50 or VR 1 / Other ? I run Rotella
5w 40 T6 in my chopper V2 Suzuki Intruder.

( My opinion Amsoil is the best, but have read engine and trans are noisy when using this oil. ) Side note I usually Change oil 3000 - 3500 miles. I use mileage and conditions during use to determine oil change periods. Hotter weather extreme conditions I change more. I know I can go longer with Syn oil, but I live in NY and put about 7,000 mile on my main bike a year. I own 2 bike 1 Chopper for bar hopping and my Stratoliner for most 2 up comfort and trips.

3. Oil Filter > I am leaning towards the Purolator 1 PL14610 Think it's the best for the $$$

4. What Gear oil for this bike?

I want to hear what you are using and why.

I also found out that my 2010 Strat has Cat converters in the Pipes.... UGGggggggg Why? LOL In the next couple years that will be changed...;)

PS LOVE MY STRATOLINER>>> Best Bike I have owned... :):rolleyes::D:cool:

My Bikes>>
Intruder 6 by utwillrise, on Flickr

stratoliner by utwillrise, on Flickr

·
Banned
1,741 Posts

May I gently suggest you re-post this in the oil/lubrication section? That's where the lube lunatics and filter fanatics congregate...;)

·
Registered
422 Posts
I too live in NY and I use Mobile 1 full syn 20/50 in my liner and a K&N oil filter KN303. Mobile 1 motorcycle oil at auto zone $9.69 qrt. $15 for the filter at Lanes.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

May I gently suggest you re-post this in the oil/lubrication section? That's where the lube lunatics and filter fanatics congregate...;)
I was going to post it there but wanted to hear more from Stratoliner owners with the same bike I have vs the Oil nuts... If I don't get a good response I will move it to Oil section.... Thanks

·
Registered
67 Posts
There is a chart in the owners manual you can consult on what viscosilty oil to use for the temperature your riding in. For gear box oil the red line has a 75w80 GL4 oil.
BTW I bought some Brad Penn 20W50 today for $5.00 a quart. I'll use this down to 34 degrees. Below 34 degrees my bike stays parked.

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
Call me crazy but I just switched to a 15/40 super 1300 mobil. Yes that's right it's for diesels.Read the api ratings it covers everything our liners need and then some.I put close to 600 miles on it this past weekend with no problems. The valve train was quieter at hwy speeds,trans shifted good and had less noise when blistering hot.Oh and it was $2.75 a qt. Hey what the hell oil is oil right.lol

·
Banned
4,088 Posts
If you follow the manufacturer's recommendations you can't go wrong, especially if you change at 3500 miles or less. I do the same as you, depends a lot on summer temps and riding conditions. Long high speed higway miles vs. short commutes, if you monitor the aforementioned closely then any oil meeting the recommended specs will be "just right"

·
Registered
845 Posts
Call me crazy but I just switched to a 15/40 super 1300 mobil. Yes that's right it's for diesels.Read the api ratings it covers everything our liners need and then some.I put close to 600 miles on it this past weekend with no problems. The valve train was quieter at hwy speeds,trans shifted good and had less noise when blistering hot.Oh and it was $2.75 a qt. Hey what the hell oil is oil right.lol
CRAZY!! You SURE AREA CRAZY but one of the smartest of the bunch!
The following oils are some of the best oils for your motorcycle on the market today.
These are ALL diesel oils. These oils hold the latest API ratings for automobile engines and the HIGHEST API ratings for the most heavy duty, largest, mega sized engines in the world which are far more demanding then any gas engine.

These are the oils I used, tried out and never used any others but diesel oils.
I put them in order of my favorate ranking but that is just my own experience, they are ALL the highest rated petroleum oils on the market today.
I have to be honest, all of them perform well and really subjective.
For some reason the Delo (for me in this brutal hot SC climate) jsut seemed to keep the shifter nice and sweet. That was in my Boulevard C50 and looking forward to using it in my 1300 next spring. I am running Vavoline Blue 15/40 right now and its good.
1. Delo LE 400 15/40 (my favorate, not sure why but seems to keep the shifter silky smooth.

The following all seem equal in quality to me, though after the Delo I think, in my mind I liked the Mobile, yet the Rotella is Jaso MA rated IF you are someone who wants that rating. personally doesnt matter to me.
Rotella 15/40
Mobile 15/40 Super 1300
Vavoline Blue 15/40

The reason people do not know of these oils is simply because they DO NOT USE FANCY MARKETING FOCUSED TO YOU!

The largest truck fleets in the USA use the above oils, running their trucks well over 500,000 and 700,000 miles and more using the above oils.

One other one to consider, would be Rotella 5/40 synthetic.
I never used it, it is motorcycle rated yet carries the highest, toughest diesel ratings in the USA. Some complain shifter gets notchy and I change so much I never tried.

·
Registered
845 Posts
If you follow the manufacturer's recommendations you can't go wrong, especially if you change at 3500 miles or less. I do the same as you, depends a lot on summer temps and riding conditions. Long high speed higway miles vs. short commutes, if you monitor the aforementioned closely then any oil meeting the recommended specs will be "just right"
You are so right and say it so much more clearly then me.
Exactly, follow the manufacturer's schedule or sooner.
thanks and glad I am not the only one.... Amen.. *L*

·
Registered
845 Posts
I use, for the most part EMGO filters ... but honestly, filters dont matter to me as much, as long as they dont look and feel like the cheap, thin, flimsy FRAM FILTERS.
Fram is my filter of last resort!

Most times I order online and stock 4 at a time but that was a carryover from my Boulevard c50 since it was hard to find C50 filters in the stores.
Not so with the V Star 1300 ... Wix, Purolator, Super Tech, Emgo (I use) Hi Filtro ... all good.

I WONDER HOW MANY USE A MAGNETIC OIL PLUG!!??!
I DO AND WILL POST BEFORE AND AFTER PHOTOS WHEN I DO THE WINTER OIL CHANGE IN NOV.

·
Banned
4,088 Posts
I don't want to ruin your day, but for one thing, I probably won't heed your warning. Secondly, I wouldn't consider being one of "them" and the dangers of being on the edge of a cliff as being in the same ballpark.

What I won't do is incite negativity in my replies.

All that aside, I need to educate myself on these Rotella viscosity numbers. I see a cold viscosity value of 5W and become as nervous as a cat in a room full of rocking chairs. It's a hard thing for ME to consider when the recommendations are 10W and 20W with cross references to climate temps. But don't kill yourself defending it because I will not debate it if you feel it is a sucsessful choice. Regardless, I doubt I'll ever use anything with that low of a viscosity value when it isn't recommended.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I don't want to ruin your day, but for one thing, I probably won't heed your warning. Secondly, I wouldn't consider being one of "them" and the dangers of being on the edge of a cliff as being in the same ballpark.

What I won't do is incite negativity in my replies.

All that aside, I need to educate myself on these Rotella viscosity numbers. I see a cold viscosity value of 5W and become as nervous as a cat in a room full of rocking chairs. It's a hard thing for ME to consider when the recommendations are 10W and 20W with cross references to climate temps. But don't kill yourself defending it because I will not debate it if you feel it is a sucsessful choice. Regardless, I doubt I'll ever use anything with that low of a viscosity value when it isn't recommended.
the 5w is nothing to worry about because this is synthetic it does'nt need as many polymers or viscosity improvers as dino oil because temp won't effect the vicosity of a synthetic like dino oil. it stays thinner in cold temps, but holds the viscosity of 40w dino when it is hot. it is also jaso rated. many bikers are using it. it has alot of zddp for barrier lube on the gears and valve train. and low on moly for the clutch slippage issue. it is getting excellent uoa's on bob the oil guy forum in motorcycles of all types. glad your hanging in with the intelligent. lol. if it can run a million miles in a diesel truck it's good enough for me. if 5w bothers you try the 15w-40 rotella t dino. either is a good choice.

·
Registered
845 Posts
the 5w is nothing to worry about because this is synthetic it doesn't need as many polymers or viscosity improvers as dino oil because temp won't effect the vicosity of a synthetic like dino oil. it stays thinner in cold temps, but holds the viscosity of 40w dino when it is hot. it is also jaso rated. many bikers are using it. it has alot of zddp for barrier lube on the gears and valve train. and low on moly for the clutch slippage issue. it is getting excellent uoa's on bob the oil guy forum in motorcycles of all types. glad your hanging in with the intelligent. lol. if it can run a million miles in a diesel truck it's good enough for me. if 5w bothers you try the 15w-40 rotella t dino. either is a good choice.
Perfectly said Bill,
I agree with your post. I myself do use the 15/40 Diesel Dino oils simply because I change it so often (always way less then 2500 miles). I have thought from time to time about trying the Rotella 5/40 again, you are correct, the synthetic needs less viscosity improvers so you should be fine. With that said I would never put a 5/40 dino oil in.
Anyway, it is true so many are happy with the Rotella 5/40 but I do read comments at times both with the V Star 1300 and Suzi Blvd C50 that people complain their gear boxes make lots of noise with teh Rotella Syn 5/40, like it thins out after hot runs. So I kind of avoided it and when those people have complained I told them to try the Delo LE 15/40 Dino (or Rotella)and always got a reply like it was a big improvement over the 5/40.
I dont know if these are isolated cases or what but see in the posts above in your 1300 you use the 15/40. Is that the reason?
I see you use the 5/40 in your other bikes?

·
Banned
4,088 Posts
Strangely enough, I have yet to try the Rotella 15W40 in my F350 6.0L PowerStroke. But at 15 quarts per oil change, it needs to be reasonably priced.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts