1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,006 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
--

That's $9. each for the Yamaha brand. I'm using the same filter I use on my Road Star. I imagine all the Yamaha engines use the same filter. So what you used before on earlier bikes (when you decided what filter was the best) could still be used. I always question the bike brands since they just farm out the work.

--

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
--

That's $9. each for the Yamaha brand. I'm using the same filter I use on my Road Star. I imagine all the Yamaha engines use the same filter. So what you used before on earlier bikes (when you decided what filter was the best) could still be used. I always question the bike brands since they just farm out the work.

--
The one I WILL NOT use is Fram. Have you ever seen the YouTube video where the various filters are de-constructed and you can see how they’re made. Fram is clearly one of the cheapest pieces of junk.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
The one I WILL NOT use is Fram. Have you ever seen the YouTube video where the various filters are de-constructed and you can see how they’re made. Fram is clearly one of the cheapest pieces of junk.
With my SVTC eating itself after every oil change and Fram being the only consistent item I am anxious to see if the Yamaha filter stops it. I am not a big believer in the "Fram is terrible" talk but I have been wrong before and hope that it is the filter.

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
106 Posts
--

I don't want to start a whole discussion on what filters are good and bad, so I'll just say that I have followed the filter comparisons done by many different people over the last ten plus years. I have never had anyone find that the Fram is not cheaply made and has the least sturdy parts. They consistently rank as the worst when examined.

--

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
--

I don't want to start a whole discussion on what filters are good and bad, so I'll just say that I have followed the filter comparisons done by many different people over the last ten plus years. I have never had anyone find that the Fram is not cheaply made and has the least sturdy parts. They consistently rank as the worst when examined.

--
Agree that Fram has a bad rep, mostly because their cheap filters do not have metal caps. That argument never persuaded me as the cap ends on those filters are made of a denser version of the filter material. While I am no expert I have taken filters apart and I could see very little difference in the quality. Now, I once had the same argument about the snake oil "Sea Foam". I believed the only thing it did was lighten your wallet My Wing was pinging at the time so I bought some to prove it was a sham. After running it all of my pinging went away and I'm a believer. If the Yamaha filter stops the noise my bike makes after an oil change, I'll gladly and loudly bash Fram filters. You guys will be the first to know.

·
Registered
143 Posts
--

--
That's a great price - I just paid $14, including tax, for one in MA.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I changed oil shortly out of the box, as it was already two years old, and then swapped the filter at 550 miles. A goodly amount of oil does drop, unlike other Stars. I filled the filter and let it sit, and I thought I was being quick; it felt like not much more than when I do it to my Road Star, but I lost enough oil to drop the level below the stick, even on it's side, cold. The manual states that basically, the tank gets narrow at the top, I think it reads, "...the level will rise more quickly as the tank is filled".
The oil light has not lit, and I have not warmed it yet, as I've been installing the auxiliary lights.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I changed oil shortly out of the box, as it was already two years old, and then swapped the filter at 550 miles. A goodly amount of oil does drop, unlike other Stars. I filled the filter and let it sit, and I thought I was being quick; it felt like not much more than when I do it to my Road Star, but I lost enough oil to drop the level below the stick, even on it's side, cold. The manual states that basically, the tank gets narrow at the top, I think it reads, "...the level will rise more quickly as the tank is filled".

The oil light has not lit, and I have not warmed it yet, as I've been installing the auxiliary lights.
I changed just my filter and measured the oil loss. I believe total oil loss was 8 Oz. There is another thread about it called "bike eating itself".

·
Registered
106 Posts
--

By the way, I'm in the middle of some current research on oil filters. When in the past we've looked at Fram filters, we have always seen the standard Extra Guard that's been cut apart and has the cardboard ends. They also have a model made for 20,000 mile oil changes and synthetic oil called the Ultra Synthetic that when cut apart is a big step above the Extra Guard. It seems to be made at least comparable to any other top brand. I will get back on this, but what I'm seeing is an eye opener. We may be wrong to equate all filters from any company as being the same quality.

--

1 - 16 of 16 Posts