Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have noticed this oil leak between the cylinder and head. I think its small and coming from the front and blowing toward the rear from force from the wind.
The oil is not on the right side of cylinder, just the left.
The valve cover looks dry so I am not sure where it is leaking unless its the gasket where that big nut dooblydoo gizmo is.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,650 Posts
get in there with some laundry soap and hot water and scrub it all down and let it dry. Then start it up and let it idle, or take it for a short ride, and it should be obvious where its coming from.

oil wicks across metal parts like its a lifeform growing on the bike. It could be coming out of the bottom side of the valve adjustment cover without getting on the cover itself.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
get in there with some laundry soap and hot water and scrub it all down and let it dry. Then start it up and let it idle, or take it for a short ride, and it should be obvious where its coming from.

oil wicks across metal parts like its a lifeform growing on the bike. It could be coming out of the bottom side of the valve adjustment cover without getting on the cover itself.
Scrubbed it and used compressed air to blow off the water they wiped it dry.
I started it and ran it for a few minutes and did not see any leaks.
I am almost convinced it is coming from the timing tensioner gasket because even though I cleaned it good, I can see residual on the fins that has penetrated the metal. Its the only logical area with an oil passage.
I might have to take it on a short ride later and see if it I can track the leak down.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
I am almost convinced it is coming from the timing tensioner gasket because even though I cleaned it good, I can see residual on the fins that has penetrated the metal. Its the only logical area with an oil passage.
I might have to take it on a short ride later and see if it I can track the leak down.
the cam gear cover has an o,ring, only two allen bolts and it pulls straight out, I had to change the front one on mine a while back

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
the cam gear cover has an o,ring, only two allen bolts and it pulls straight out, I had to change the front one on mine a while back
I thought about that too.
Wouldn't the right side of the fins get oily too?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts