Yamaha Starbike Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok, so I bought this new roadliner, and after riding it for the first 150 miles, I park it for the night and go out the next day and find a small oil leak under it. I clean up the oil and wipe down the entire bottom of the engine to try and determne where it is coming from. No such luck. This happens everythime I ride it, just a small amount but it is driving me crazy. It appears to maybe coming from the right side of the engine. Any body else experience anything like this. Certain seal or area that is a known issue? The bike shop where I bought it will want it for 2-3 weeks to evaluate and probably fix it. Don't want to be without a bike for that log. Bike now has just under 800 miles on it.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Drain plugs

RLroadwarrier,

The only oil I have ever seen under my bike is once I changed the oil and had a drip from the front oil plug. But, that is on the left side of the engine. (Facing forward.) I tightened it and the leak went a way. On the right rear is the drain plug for the oil reservior. This one is a little harder to find. If any of these are leaking you should be able to feel a drop on your finger after setting. The filter and a couple of O rings are around on the front of the engine, never had any problem there. I remove one of those O rings to get my filter off.

Be careful about tightening these, they are aluminum. Don't try to hard.

Don't rull out a buddy playing a joke on you. I have seen some of my buddies do this.

Dave

·
Registered
75 Posts
What about your 500/600 Service

ok, so I bought this new roadliner, and after riding it for the first 150 miles, I park it for the night and go out the next day and find a small oil leak under it. I clean up the oil and wipe down the entire bottom of the engine to try and determne where it is coming from. No such luck. This happens everythime I ride it, just a small amount but it is driving me crazy. It appears to maybe coming from the right side of the engine. Any body else experience anything like this. Certain seal or area that is a known issue? The bike shop where I bought it will want it for 2-3 weeks to evaluate and probably fix it. Don't want to be without a bike for that log. Bike now has just under 800 miles on it.

800 miles? Have you had your 500/600 initial service yet? All of your fluids are replaced -- they can evaluate the leak during this.

NOTE: My 2006 Stratoliner S has almost 36,000 miles on it and no leaks.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Check around your rod tubes. When assembling the motor yamaha puts lubricant around the O rings and this may be where the leak is coming from. A few people have had the tubes changed out because of out of roundness was causing the leaks. Just my .02.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I would go back to the dealer and have the problem fixed. Not even Harley's leak oil anymore, so this is pretty unusual for a dealer prepped Yamaha.

It also would not hurt to pick up the Service Manual. You can get a download from Tradebit for like $7.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I bought my leftover 06 Roadliner S in 2007 - after about a month I noticed a small leak myself - as I recall it was on the lower right side but since it was on the sidestand it looked like the drips were center of the engine case. Brought it back to my dealer and he noticed it was coming off an oil line type system - it had three branch connectors and each had a strainer type fitting. He wasn't able to narrow it down to just one of the connections so he replaced the whole thing to be sure.

Not as specific as I'd like it to be but that may point you in the right direction.

Lef

Since they had strainers on them as him to look at the oil scavenging system, would explain the strainers on each of the 3 fittings.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.