Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Today I was doing a walk around on my bike and I noticed a small oil leak coming out on to the top of my exhaust pipe. Thoughts? Please keep in mind, I am very new to riding and bikes in general.

I just purchased the bike (first one) and have no history of its past unfortunately. I do know the oil was over full same as the gear oil. The leak did not appear until after I had it changed.

Attachments

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes that is the rear cylinder. I honestly have no clue. I am still learning about the mechanical components of bikes. I can upload other images if you like. As for specific terms or components... Your talking to a VERY green rider here.

·
Registered
570 Posts
See the exhaust pipe right there? Go up about 3-4 inches...There will be a silver/grey color. That is the rear cylinder exhaust valve cover, oil is most likely coming from there.

If it is, You can ;
Tight down the two bolts or,
remove O-ring, flip O-ring, re-install or,
Buy a new o-ring, replace and reinstall, or
buy a tube of permatex, apply in groove, reinstall.

·
Registered
44 Posts
See the exhaust pipe right there? Go up about 3-4 inches...There will be a silver/grey color. That is the rear cylinder exhaust valve cover, oil is most likely coming from there.

If it is, You can ;
Tight down the two bolts or,
remove O-ring, flip O-ring, re-install or,
Buy a new o-ring, replace and reinstall, or
buy a tube of permatex, apply in groove, reinstall.
What BP03 Says. There's a good chance its the valve cover leaking. My front valve cover was leaking a little oil. I replaced the o-ring for the cover.

Just be careful and don't overtighten the bolts when tightening it (don't ask my how I know-I had to helicoil it and it was a pain in the rear)

It's a fairly common problem with these bikes... pretty easy fix if that's the problem...

·
Registered
794 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Dude... how did i miss that thread... i searched... swear i did... definitely going to dig into it and see whats up... last thing I want is a puddle under the bike.

·
Registered
794 Posts
Dude... how did i miss that thread... i searched... swear i did... definitely going to dig into it and see whats up... last thing I want is a puddle under the bike.
No biggie, I have trouble with searches all the time... you have to either be so specific you miss stuff or so general you can't find what you are looking for in the mountains of stuff :p

1 - 11 of 11 Posts