Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My oil light has started coming on occasionally. If I let off and re apply throttle it will go off. Any Ideas?

Bike has 25K i am confident it's an electrical problem.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I changed the oil less than 1,000 miles ago with Yama filter. First time the light came on was the first ride with fresh oil. There seems to be no rime or reason to when it does it. I can let off and re accelerate and it goes out or it has gone out by its self. Oil level is correct, I used 10-40 AMZ/OIL.

·
Registered
39 Posts
If the light coming on when the engine is hot try going to a thicker oil like 20w 50. if the light is coming on when the engine is still cold you may have a bigger issue.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Mine did the same thing. I have a 2003 Vstar 1100. That light is an Oil level indicator light only, the indicator part itself is located right next to the battery box. First set your bike stand on a block of wood to make sure the bike is level, then check your oil level. It's one of two things, low oil level or a faulty oil level indicator. My money is on the oil level bud. If it is the indicator its a cheap replacement part.

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
We kind of need to know what kind of bike you have to give an intelligent answer to your question.

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
lol..... sigs didn't show on my phone, my bad.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes the level is good for sure I have checked it on my stand. I have a shop manual so i will look for the sensor and check the connections.

Is the part sensor just by looking at the bike or is it behind the battery cover?

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
Oil sensor and light are an oil level, not pressure sensor. You can get small air bubbles that will trigger it on an 1100, more so if you are using conventional oil. It's most noticed right after an oil change.

If you know the level is good.....and the light goes out or flickers.......I'd just ride it and ignore the light. Once things settle down, it won't come on again. Synthetic oils will reduce the foaming and triggering the light.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Running AMZ/OIL 10-40. I looked again last night my level is exactly centered in-between the lines/view window. Should I add to where the level is closer to the top line?

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
You can try adding more, but keep a close eye out inside your air box. It'll most likely all end up in there from the crankcase vent.....and sooner or later dripping out of the air filter assembly and all over your bike.

If you ride for a couple hundred miles and the light still doesn't go out.....the sensor is probably bad. But for the past 10 years or so, It's usually just an air bubble I see....and spiking the brakes several times usually clears the issue. It's a very common occurrence.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You can try adding more, but keep a close eye out inside your air box. It'll most likely all end up in there from the crankcase vent.....and sooner or later dripping out of the air filter assembly and all over your bike.

If you ride for a couple hundred miles and the light still doesn't go out.....the sensor is probably bad. But for the past 10 years or so, It's usually just an air bubble I see....and spiking the brakes several times usually clears the issue. It's a very common occurrence.
Thanks for all the info.

·
Registered
609 Posts
My 1100 did the same thing occasionally, normally when good and hot (I ran 20/50 dino-juice) at a light after I'd made a reasonably brisk stop. Not immediately, but a few seconds later once I was stopped. Maybe the oil pushing 'forward' as I stopped did it? Maybe this briefly created an air bubble or foamed things up near the sensor? Not sure, but eventually it became clear I could reproduce it by stopping hard and then waiting 5 seconds...

I learned to just ignore it after the first few times and checking oil proved everything ok.

For your own peace of mind, you might want to see if there is some 'sequence of events' that leads to it for you rather than just a random thing.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts