Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2013 V Star 1300 Deluxe. I just bought this bike (which I truly love) this last fall in MN with only 1008 miles one her. I'm wintering down in AZ and now with 6000 miles on her, I found an Indy wrench to do a needed oil change. He did the filter and oil (using Amsoil 20w50). Now for the first time ever the oil light comes on for about 15 to 20 seconds once or twice after riding it the first 5 or 6 miles. It seems to only happen in the mornings when it's cooler outside. It's never happens in the afternoon. Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

P.S. The wrench said if it does continue, to bring it back in next week, and he'll change out the filter. He's as concerned as I am.

·
Super Moderator "Loose Nut"
5,872 Posts
The oil light is connected to an oil level sensor not oil pressure. It's common for an air bubble to envelope the sensor and activate the light. As long as oil is full, no worries. Most of us here have experienced the same thing. Here's a good thread on the oil light issue on 1300.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the link. From what I've read here it looks like either an air bubble or a need to add a little bit more oil. I'll go back to the Wrench and see if he can top it off with just a bit more oil. Man, I hope this solves it, however it's good to know I'm not alone. Just never seen this in any of the other brand of bikes I've owned.

·
Super Moderator "Loose Nut"
5,872 Posts
Oil level sensors have been around for a while. Manufacturers started using them more when recommended oil change frequency was lengthened, most people don't check their oil like they should. Placement of the sensor has been an issue in the past. Here's a short video on them.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts