Yamaha Starbike Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have 2000 Vstar 1100 Custom. sorry if there already is a thread on this topic.

I am considering a couple of upgrades to my bike, what should i consider, what priority do you think.

change out standard seat with mustang or gel fill existing. I currently have std seat with a sheepskin on it.( 700.00?)

highway motor guards(250.00)

oil relocaition kit(275.00()

new lounder pipes, maybe V and H(300.00?)

Should I have oil relocation kit added, cost is 250-300.00, correct

oil change frequency, is it twice/year, does filter get changed each time also or is it filter once/year and oil twice per year? how much does an oil change cost at dealer without the relocation kit. is oil change only pretty easy without the relocation kit. the relocation kit is mainly to help with the filter replacement, correct?

i would like to think if you think the kit is worth the money and doesnt impact oil circulation and engine care

thanks

phil

·
Registered
18 Posts
Oil Fitler Kit Speeds Up Time At Oil Change, Don't Have To Pull Frt Pipe Anymore.oem Oil Filter Is A Paper Cart. Reccomded To Change Each Time. LoUder Pipes Lets Cars Know You Are There When Riding Beside Them. Seat Is Per Rider And How Long You Ride. OIL CHANGE I THINK RECOMEND EVERY 4000 MILES

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
If you do your own service work, an ork is the way to go. I put a
Barons ork on my 1100 vstar, love it, looks good, easy to install,and
really speeds up oil changes, spin off, spin on. New filterEVERY time.
Clean oil is the life of a motor, I change more often than they say to.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thank you very much. Should i have the dealer install the ORK or is it pretty straight forward to install

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
If you have ever changed the oil on a 1100 vstar before an ork,
then to install an ork is a piece of cake, no problem.(that is if
you changed the stock oil filter too)

·
Registered
44 Posts
If you do your own service work, an ork is the way to go. I put a
Barons ork on my 1100 vstar, love it, looks good, easy to install,and
really speeds up oil changes, spin off, spin on. New filterEVERY time.
Clean oil is the life of a motor, I change more often than they say to.
I just picked up a 2008 VStar 1100 Midnight Custom with 1K miles and was speaking to one of the shop's techs about the ORKs. He mentioned Baron's and Jardine's products. Did you look at both and why did you choose Baron's?

The tech thought that one of these ORKs relocated the filter under the center of the bike and the other relocated it in front of the frame. Is this accurate?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Your list of priority upgrades are up to you, what kind of riding do you do? If you take long rides on your weekends I would suggest adding to the comfort of your bike with either the seat upgrade or highway bars with pegs, which also adds to the looks of the bike. If you just like riding around town for an hour or so, I would go for performance and sound with new pipes and intake. As far as the ORK, sure it would be nice to cut down my oil change time, but I always seem to find other areas I want to invest in such as performance and looks. I don't really mind the extra work involved in changing the oil filter, which I do every other oil change (8,000 miles).

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
The Barons fits pretty much under the starter motor, looks like it belongs there, the crome filter looks good. I did't check the others, there is good info on them on sloneservice.com. Different strokes on when to change oil and filter, I know the book says oil 4000 and filter every other time (8000), to me thats much too long for such a tiny filter, being air cooled, the oil is taking lots of heat. I just can't see running clean oil through a dirty filter. I have always changed the filter every time the oil is. My shop guy rides and he always does his at 2000-2500. Been doin it for many years. This guy owns a local shop(independant) Remember, Yamaha wants to keep their shops busy and they are in the business of selling new motorcycles.

·
Registered
44 Posts
New oil filter is cheap "insurance"

I agree that it makes sense to spend the extra few bucks and change the filter with each oil change. Oil filters are a lot cheaper than engine rebuilds or other major jobs. ;)

·
Registered
23 Posts
I also agree with the its up to you bit i went for bars pipes(V and H) and other various things and really if i wasn't thinking about oil changes. I love the sound and look of my bike but it is really up to you. Also i would get the ORK but since my engine has very little chrome on it I would need to find a black one and so far no luck.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I did a Google search on oil filter relocation fits and found one made specifically for Midnight Custom 1100s. Go to http://www.motorcycleenhancements.com/pdetails.asp?id=213 for info on this product. Keep in mind that since Motorcycle Enhancements is a Canadian company, you will also have to pay a small fee to US Customs for importing the product into the US. For us Midnight Custom 1100 owners, though, this product may be a better choice that the chromed versions from Jardine and Barons. Both are good products but would not look as good as the Motorcycle Enhancements product on our blacked-out engines.

I'd appreciate any thoughts on how well this product is designed and would work. I would like to get this product and have it installed before I put my bike away for the Winter.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts